XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:52 pm 

In Classic apps, why would some FFIL TrueType fonts show up and others not?

I seem to recall something about a limit to the number of installed fonts in OS 9, but I don't remember that number. What else might affect font availability?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:30 pm 
Master

I think the limit in OS 9 was pretty high...I'm not sure specifically what it is. The question of why they're not showing up is more complex. They might be be corrupt, might have been transferred through something that killed off their resource forks, or something else entirely.

Also, when you're moving fonts, try to make sure you don't have any programs running, or at least quit and reopen those programs after moving the fonts so they'll notice the changes.

You might try pulling out a lot of the optional fonts to see if it helps the desired fonts show up, but my guess is that it won't.

Finally, are you putting the font suitcase in the OS 9 Fonts folder, or loading it in to one of OS X's font folders? If the latter, you might try putting it the (OS 9) System Folder's Fonts folder.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:27 pm 

Check this link for the very basic install locations. For the font limit, I think in OS9 you could get around that by putting font in suitcases. As for why they are not showing up it could be due to many reasons. In a pure OS9 setup I think their used to be occasional conflicts with the IDs of fonts but I don't know if OSX automatically resolves such conflicts (even if they are fonts used in the the Classic environment).

Are the fonts not showing up at all or only in certain apps? If the fonts you want to use are dfonts you might wish to try your luck with dfontier (for Tiger or earlier).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Finally, are you putting the font suitcase in the OS 9 Fonts folder, or loading it in to one of OS X's font folders? If the latter, you might try putting it the (OS 9) System Folder's Fonts folder.

Hey, that's a good idea, as OSX can see OS9 Fonts, & not the other way around. :)

Mike, How Many Mac Fonts is Too Many and What Can I Do About It?...

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/fonttech ... ntsmac.htm

512 Font Suitcases, 4 times previous versions...
[url]
http://books.google.com/books?id=wdtjgT ... &q&f=false[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:34 pm 

The font limit in OS9 was related to the maximum open file limit which was... crap I forget. But it's why combining multiple fonts into a single font suitcase alleviated the problem.

As I remember the maximum # of fonts was ginormous but the open file limit could get hit if you had a lot of fonts (because System, Finder, libraries, applications, etc. also counted towards the open file count).

Though under Classic the open file limit should be effectively removed. I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Mac OS 9's file systems includes two significant under-the-hood enhancements: one allows applications to open files larger than 2 GB; the other increases the maximum number of open file forks from 348 to 8,169. Opening 348 file forks simultaneously might seem unusual, but both the problem and the fix turn out to be significant. The limit predates even the HFS file system, and it's a problem because a typical Mac has many open files you never see: modern applications and versions of the Mac OS rely heavily on shared libraries, temporary files, and plug-ins - all those items count against the open file limit.

http://www.tidbits.com/article/5624

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:52 pm 

Aha, I was going to say 300-something. But at least they fixed it, at the cost of breaking old apps I'm sure but that file limit was annoying, especially when dealing with Macophobes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 am 

Yeah, I made sure to put only those fonts I want to use in Classic apps (Photoshop and Illustrator) into /System Folder/Fonts (the fonts folder inside the System Folder for OS 9).

I just now used OS X's Font Book to validate all my currently loaded OS 9 fonts. It found a couple that were bad and, once I deleted them from the folder and restarted Classic, the fonts that had previously been not showing up have now reappeared. Interesting how bad fonts can affect good fonts.

Fascinating (as Mr. Spock would say)... it seems the same kind of problem often exists between people.

Thanks!!!