XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MFS & Wikipedia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:58 am 
Master

I noticed something at the top of the Wikipedia article on MFS, "Macintosh File System," which was the file system used on Macs prior to the introduction of Hierarchical File System (HFS) a couple years later. The thing at the top of the article is a helpful comment:
Quote:
This article is about the MFS file system. For other Macintosh file systems, see Macintosh file system.

Which could be rewritten, expanding the acronym, as:
Quote:
This article is about the Macintosh File System file system. For other Macintosh file systems, see Macintosh file system.

Which I found amusing. :) A commenter in the Discussion section of the article was similarly impressed and offered a helpful link to RAS Syndrome, which I was aware of, but for which I was unaware of the name. Unfortunately the RAS Syndrome page does not list enough of the most acutely grating redundant acronyms, like RAM memory, and I'm not going to add them and expostulate in length -- as I would be compelled to do if I got started -- on the corrupting evils of redundant acronyms, since doing so would likely preclude future contributions to the free encyclopedia on account of being banned.

I actually used MFS, briefly. Well, for about twenty minutes actually. I found a copy of System 3.0 or 3.1 (if I recall correctly) and managed to boot my Mac Plus from it. The system was apparently running off an MFS formatted floppy disk. It sort of worked, but something in my HFS formatted external 60 MB hard drive wasn't so happy with the whole affair, even though HFS was supported on System 3, and I ended up reformatting a day or two later.

- Anonymous

Post subject: Re: MFS & Wikipedia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think the ultimate redundancy is when you look up a word in the dictionary, and the definition/meaning is shorter than the word!