XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 am 

I had a chuckle today. I don't have room for my legal-sized scanner and heavily upgraded Beige G3 at home, so I have it set up in my office as a spare scanner. Ah, but I'm the only one with OCR software, and it only runs in OS 9.

As stable as I made my the OS 9, it can still crash (hey, so does OS X). We had a BUNCH of stuff that needed to be run through OCR software and so one of the other guys began the process of scanning the files into PhotoShop to be converted by the OCR software. Well, while scanning in PhotoShop 4, seems the scanner didn't like one of the settings he changed and the app crashed. So there he was relaunching and crashing PhotoShop again and again. I turned and said, ..."hey, its OS 9, you need to restart after a crash." And then he said the thing that nearly bowled me over... "Why?" HOW SOON WE FORGET, EH? (Not me). I said because it is OS 9, remember? Again, "why?" "Because the classic OS doesn't have protected memory and even if the application restarts, the machine is unstable, just do it." Finally he said, "whatever," and with a snarl restarted the machine.

I just think the whole thing is funny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:26 am 
Executive Director of the x704.net Think Tank

If you really want to mess with him, tell him to change the memory allocations for the programs he's using so they won't crash.

On Obama: "Muhammad Ali also had a way with words, but it helped enormously that he could punch guys in the face."
-Bill Maher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:42 am 

yea lol and maybe create a ram disk to put the scratch disk on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

And... put some OSX RAM into it... many OS9 Macs that were unstable would not even boot into OSX because of the RAM... OS9 tried, OSX refused.

In fact, imho, OSX is a better RAM tester than any RAM testing APP I've ever run across!