XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:01 pm 

I happened upon two doofuses who are trying to sell their MacBook Pro models, for different reasons. One had the genius idea to "upgrade" the BIOS (EFI and SMC firmware), which didn't work, and now they don't know how to set it back to the original because it won't boot. Asked them what they used in this bonehead plan and why, but haven't got any answer. So rather than fix it, they're going to sell it.

The other "genius" bought theirs and paid about $1600 new, then let someone else in their family remove the hard drive and substitute an SSD; and later they tried to swap it back out for the original HD. In the process, some screws holding on the bottom case cover were lost. So now it will boot, but the display doesn't light up, and an Apple Tech told him they could see some arcing across the video connectors on the logic board and it would cost $800 to fix. But even if this guy didn't take precautions for static electricity, I don't think swapping out the drive would even touch the motherboard or the video connectors, so I don't think that's the issue. Sounds like a failed display or backlight on the display.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem for the first doofus, and what the real issue is for the second doofus?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:12 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

#1: I thought Apple had EFI updates for a USB stick, but I can't find anything now.

Maybe...

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

https://astrofloyd.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... n-macbook/

#2: Sounds like the tech found the last known location of those missing screws to me, but on the off chance...

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:43 pm 

So I take it that I'd have to get rEFIt along with the current EFI and SMC updates for that model of MacBook Pro and boot from something else in order to install those updates? Or am I missing something?

As for the second doofus, if they left the screws in their MacBook Pro 13 inch, it's not covered by the video issue that Apple described. So does that mean the Logic Board would need to be replaced?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:33 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

#1: I think so, but have never done it...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202048

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

#2: I believe so. Maybe an older one cheaper than the Logic Board?

http://www.macofalltrades.com/MacBook-P ... t_20150413

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:54 pm 

#1 Yeah, I read those before, so I have trouble understanding why this doofus thinks there is a BIOS and what they were trying to accomplish, or even why? Dumb!

#2 I could get the logic board repaired or replaced for $329, assuming that's the problem. This guy is Dumberer.

Oy vey!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

$329 isn't too bad. :)

I don't imagine AHT or ASD would run with messed up EFI, but don't know for certain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:26 pm 

Kurt188 wrote:
#1 Yeah, I read those before, so I have trouble understanding why this doofus thinks there is a BIOS and what they were trying to accomplish, or even why?
I don't know why he was trying to do it, but all x86 PCs have a BIOS or EFI/UEFI, which includes Macs. Macs have a custom EFI firmware but can emulate a BIOS via Boot Camp.

Perhaps he wanted to run an OS that required BIOS support but he didn't have a copy of Windows to install to get said BIOS support enabled. We had a similar brainiac mangle a laptop he was issued as part of his educational program, except in the process he stripped screws trying to open up the unit with wrong-sized screwdrivers.

Nevertheless if the EFI firmware is corrupt, the system will not boot, because the motherboard won't pass power on self test (POST) to even start the boot process. The only way to update the firmware at that point is out-of-band, meaning factory or bench work to reflash the chip without using the board itself to do the flash. In ye olden days one would pull the EEPROM out of it's socket and rewrite it using programmer, newer methods use diagnostic pins/connectors on the board that aren't particularly standardized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 am 

BDAqua wrote:
#1: I thought Apple had EFI updates for a USB stick, but I can't find anything now.

Maybe...

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

@BD:

Adding my $.02 as this is something that I've had to post on the Ubuntu Apple Hardware forum multiple times . . . rEFIt only supports up to 10.7 or so . . . the upgrade that covers beyond 10.7 is rEFInd . . . offered by "rodbooks" . . . which I use to have a triple boot set up on my MBPro . . . 2 flavors OSX + LM17.1 . . . seems to work even after doing a security update in 10.9 w/o "re-blessing" rEFInd . . . only thing I don't get is the drop down menu for starting "single user" via right click, etc.

e...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks e... :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:31 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Thanks e... :)

Sure, trying to be helpful where possible . . . I have done a few dual-boot set ups involving OSX + linux so I do have some "experience" with some of the problems that come up there, both in PPC & Mactel . . . I did use rEFIt until I went to ML . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 pm 

rEFIt is just a boot loader though... it's a tool the system loads in place of an OS, that can then load other OSes. It's not a replacement for EFI (the firmware on the device), it just uses EFI to load itself in place of an EFI-aware OS like OS X, then uses tricks in EFI to get out of the way after pointing it at an OS.

If you want a replacement for rEFIt, rEFInd is a good option, though I haven't used it since around ML or so. The guy's expanded on rEFIt to make it not just compatible with Macs, but also UEFI systems (nearly every modern PC made).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:45 am 

este.el.paz wrote:
I've had to post on the Ubuntu Apple Hardware forum multiple times . . . rEFIt only supports up to 10.7 or so . . . the upgrade that covers beyond 10.7 is rEFInd . . . offered by "rodbooks" . . . which I use to have a triple boot set up on my MBPro . . . 2 flavors OSX + LM17.1 . . . seems to work even after doing a security update in 10.9 w/o "re-blessing" rEFInd . . . only thing I don't get is the drop down menu for starting "single user" via right click, etc.

e...

@MB:

Already been said . . . . :whip: I didn't link it, or explain it, just what I'm doing with as the "color commentary" . . . .

e..