XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Watch out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:28 pm 

http://bgr.com/2017/02/28/macbook-pro-2 ... essionals/

Last time I remember him making these same promises they dropped the trashcan pro on us a few months later.

Looks like the iMac is next on the chopping block. Any speculation on what it may be?

I'm betting it'll be thinner, remove all non-proprietary internal storage, still be glued together, use soldered-on RAM. And a price raise to boot, probably to pay for all-5K screens or something equally pointless.

I wonder if they'll use USB-C as the power source. They've been using laptop components in iMacs for a while now (can't use desktop components tight poorly ventilated cases), so they probably could get away with it.

It probably won't have any USB A ports (must buy dongles, must buy dongles, rarrrrr).

Post subject: Re: Watch out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:01 pm 
Master

Yeah, when I saw that my thoughts were along the lines of "Oh shut up you jerk. How many years in a row have you shoved your finger in the eyes of pro users? Your words are worthless." Or maybe, "your path forward is lit by the burning bridges behind."

You know what pro users really need? Hint: it's not an expandable modular desktop or thoughtfully constructed rackable server, it's an exceptionally thin highly polished ovoid puck thing that fits in the palm of your hand and slowly spins itself clockwise with a subtle rocking motion, even slowly reversing itself if you try to spin it the other direction. It has a Bluetooth interface, ARM processor, and captivating proximity sensitive OLED panel capable of displaying 39.7 trillion colors. Professional users don't know they need one of these, but they do, much more than they need a computer with RAM and drive bays. The Ovoid makes soothing thrumming noises and continuously gathers holistic ambient data from a highly tuned suite of 14 sensors, and its battery lasts almost all day* even if sometimes used. Desktop computers with drive bays have no flow, but the Ovoid seamlessly blends in to the fabric of your life and it's highly innovative glossiness will forever transform EVERYTHING!!

:nothappy:

Yeah, screw you Apple.

- Anonymous

* According to internal Apple tests. Performance may vary depending upon things.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Gulp...
Quote:
“You will see us do more in the pro area,” Cook said in a response to a question about the Mac Pro. “The pro area is very important to us. The creative area is very important to us in particular.”

That is why well be putting Axx series chips in them & introduce iTwitFace, that will automatically upload everything you type & upload constant live video... that should impress all our Professional & Creative users that make the iPhone such a great computer. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 pm 

I really feel Apple really has lost their ways with keeping "Pro" customers happy. I liked it back when the consumers got like the Ibook G4 and the Powerbook G4 was the Pro grade. Or even the plastic Macbooks (or crackbooks as I call them) and the MacBook Pros where truly a professional line of computers. Then the higher spec black book was the upgraded consumer MacBook that was sorta in-between. Now it seams like they try to make everything "Professional". The really only "consumer grade" MacBook would be the ever so aging MacBook air which will most likely get the axe any day.

Don't mind my ranting :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:41 pm 

I'm kind of filled with dread that the iMac will be the first system they move to ARM processors.

ARM makes sense for mobile. You're running off battery all the time and you'll rarely be near power.

ARM for laptops? Makes less sense. You need more power than ARM provides, which you compensate for by having large batteries and the understanding that you will frequently connect it to power. But the difference is less because laptop parts aren't full power parts.

ARM for desktops? Makes no sense at all. You bought a desktop to do work, not a lifestyle accessory. You bought a desktop because you needed more power than a mobile or laptop system could provide. Putting the same parts (even with a large upgrade its still going to be a fraction of the power of a desktop class CPU & GPU) into a desktop negates its reason for existence.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:56 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I'm kind of filled with dread that the iMac will be the first system they move to ARM processors.

ARM makes sense for mobile. You're running off battery all the time and you'll rarely be near power.

ARM for laptops? Makes less sense. You need more power than ARM provides, which you compensate for by having large batteries and the understanding that you will frequently connect it to power. But the difference is less because laptop parts aren't full power parts.

ARM for desktops? Makes no sense at all. You bought a desktop to do work, not a lifestyle accessory. You bought a desktop because you needed more power than a mobile or laptop system could provide. Putting the same parts (even with a large upgrade its still going to be a fraction of the power of a desktop class CPU & GPU) into a desktop negates its reason for existence.

Sadly we know it's eventually coming. Apple wants to get away from Intel, and they desparetely want to do away with anything nVidia because nVidia refuses to play ball with letting Apple control their drivers entirely like they do with AMD (nVidia's the one that keeps adding hardware to their web drivers letting Mac Pro/Hackintosh users get modern GPUs - Apple's drivers have no Maxwell or Pascal support and never will).

The good news for us hackintosh users is that we got real honest to god PC hardware that is powerful to fall back on once we're forced to Windows. I love OS X, but not enough to go back to 1990s power CPUs and GPUs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:50 am 

After the drubbing they got on the web as a result of the MBP launch I hope they reconsider the 'thin at any cost' philosophy.

I suppose that still leaves enough wiggle room for them to launch a pyramid Mac Pro :confused:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 pm 

Read this today Editorial: The Future of Apple's Macintosh. I found it interesting. It's a bit long but has a slightly different perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:16 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, interesting but dismal. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:11 pm 

Daniel Dilger is a hard read. He is ultra Pro Apple and lacks the self control required to present a balanced viewpoint. In opinion pieces, that's fine but mostly you need to try and filter out the bias and contrast what he writes with reality.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:33 pm 

Yeah, I kind of read that and scratched my head at points.

I used to drink the kool-aid like that. Now I just use whatever works for a reasonable price.