XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Odd Disk Utility status
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:37 am 

I wanted to add a partition to test another OS X operating system w/o affecting my existing installations, and due to Boot Camp needing to be the absolute last partition on the disk this meant deleting all but my primary OS X install then creating two new partitions.

After deleting my Windows partition and resizing my OS X partition to the entire disk I went to create two new partitions and saw a really odd status message out of Disk Utility: "(Should be 132 instead of 66)"

This is the 10.10 disk utility because the 10.11 utility is so completely worthless now. It did exactly what I asked it to do, resized my boot partition and created two new ones... it just sat there for a time with a progress bar slowly filling up with that completely unhelpful status message. I'm still trying to figure out what it was doing during that step.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:08 pm 
Master

Maybe it ran fsck and buggily only displayed part of a status message at some point during one of the processes? This may be testable, but might require more time with dtrace than is worth the effort.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:58 am 

I wonder if the stall may have had something to do with the recovery partition. Does Disk Utility still create logs? I'm on Yosemite with the wife's MBP so not with the latest DU myself. I see a lot of people complaining about lost functionality in it, though. Not a good sign.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:04 pm 

I think it was something weird on what's called "Legacy" systems. I was trying to create two OSX partitions and a Boot Camp partition, which meant I created a new HFS+ partition and a new FAT32 partition. Except that Legacy systems can only handle a maximum of 4 internal partitions if you want to use Boot Camp. In theory I could nuke the recovery partition but I'd rather not. Anyway, because the fifth partition was a FAT32 partition it probably was the source of that odd message.

I ended up putting things back the way they were and decided to buy a (don't hurt me) MicroSD adapter for the SD card slot, plus a 64GB MicroSD card. It's about $25 for that solution vs. a second HD (~$60 for 7200rpm 1TB plus adapter) vs. SSD (~$120 for 500GB plus adapter). I just want to have another bootable drive, and 128GB MicroSD would've bumped it into the $40-$45 range. The adapter actually fits flush against the side of the MacBook Pro and damned if I ever use the slot.

On post-2013 systems you can apparently do what I wanted to do because of updated firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:01 pm 

You know, aside from the slow write speed, which causes the occasional hiccup as virtual memory does it's thing, and makes installation progress bars become so hopelessly optimistic that I swear I'm in Wrath Of Khan ("hours would seem like days")... it's not bad. Once you get everything setup and have opened apps before so it has existing caches to reference it actually runs quite well.

I bet if I got a Samsung Pro card that the write issue would be substantially alleviated, however I could just get an equivalent size or larger SSD and pop it into the optical bay for less. And now that I think about it, the SD reader is hanging off a USB 2.0 bus in these systems so the writes wouldn't improve much.