XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:27 am 

Let the Good Times roll . . . !!!! Finally pulled the twigger on the mid-2012 MP Quad-core . . . so starting a new thread on it, as it should be here in a few hours and I'm sure I haven't thought of everything that might be needed for it.

First issue, it has 4 GB RAM running 10.9, so I'd like to go to 8GB . . . OWC lists options for "1066 MHz" as well as "1333MHz" Is there any reason to use one over the other?

OWC sent a link to this, listed at bottom for "2010 MP" . . . would that be the same as for "mid-2012 MP"?

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566D3ECC8GB/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:47 am 

That's a very nice machine! :g5:

I like to use a free program called Mactracker to find out the exact specs of Macs.

Here's what it says about that machine, seems inconclusive.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 12.36.06 PM.png [93.83 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Check what your system report says Apple Menu->option click about this Mac then Hardware->Memory That should tell you the Mhz speed of what is running in it.

Best practice to match CAS latency and MHz but if you get a higher Mhz memory it should downclock and play ok. To see the CAS latency numbers you may have to crack it open and look at the sticker on the memory stick.

Last edited by mc68k on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:48 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
RAM Type: PC3-8500 DDR3 ECC Min. RAM Speed: 1066 MHz
Details: Uses "1066 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM" (PC3-8500) modules.

Also see: How do you upgrade the RAM in the "Mid-2012" Mac Pro models? How much RAM do they actually support?
Standard RAM: 6 GB Maximum RAM: 48 GB**

**Apple officially supports 32 GB of RAM. However, as first noted by site sponsor Other World Computing, this model actually can support 48 GB of RAM.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... specs.html

Good 1333 RAM will run at 1066 also, "faster" RAM may have lower latency running slower, but I believe it would require matched RAM to matter.

I think I remember reading that the biggest stick should be in the 1st slot for best results.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:50 am 

@mc68k && BD:

Thanks for the replies and the links . . . so it seems like the linked 8GB would be the correct specs?? And/or it seems like either the 1066 or 1333 would probably be "OK"? . . .

Not sure what the "CAS latency" is referring to, but, for now I'm thinking that a single 8 GB will use less power than multiple sticks of lower "volume" . . . so, no worries about "matching" if I go that way. It's going to be hard to know if the RAM that is sent out is "fresh" or if it has been "fried" . . . so considering whether to just "add 4" to what's there . . . or start fresh.

Also, interesting to see that it could max out at 48 . . . but, don't think that will be necessary . . . ??? I considered adding the extra Super Drive from the re-seller, but, when I clicked that option they said, "not available" . . . so that might be done at some point.

And, possibly going to SSD to see how much different that would be . . . no rush on that, but having multiple HDs might happen to provide separate HD for running linux . . . . We'll see in a bit. Space is carved out of the stacks of junk on my desktop, ready for the new toy . . . . : - )

e...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:18 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I hope you appreciate how many times I perused the spot where this going to go since yesterday… even ran my hand over it every so often checking for… well, I'm not sure what I was checking for, but I did it with no negative results! :P

PS. I'd certainly bump it to 12 GB minimum for iOSX. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:38 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I hope you appreciate how many times I perused the spot where this going to go since yesterday… even ran my hand over it every so often checking for… well, I'm not sure what I was checking for, but I did it with no negative results! :P

PS. I'd certainly bump it to 12 GB minimum for iOSX. :)

Oh my . . . I guess we'll have to see if UPS delivers it to my address, or if it turns up at your house . . . due to the power of your Visualization and personally touching the spot for it??? :classic-eek:

So, 8 is not enough? I was thinking that for 10.9 (forget what it's coming with, but I think it's 9) moving from 4 to 8 would get it, but probably going "beyond" 9 . . . that would need more?

I could add the single 8 to what's there now, and that would give me 12 . . . no particular reason to take the 4 out . . . which I guess then trying to "match" what is there might be more important . . . . A few more hours to "end of the day" delivery time.

e..

[edit: Or, should I just get 2 new 8 GB sticks and take it to 16??]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

8 will work, just expect it to pause a bit if using a Browser or such.

16 would be great, I think that's the hidden target in OSX, but 12 should be fine… I would put the GB in the 1st slot, but the speed tweak from that & matched sets is likely very small, in my testing a 10% increase in RAM speed equates to about 1% speed increase overall.

Don't worry, I'm only running a Virtual Machine here… & watching kids at Xmas opening presents! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
The Mac… Pro?
The Mac Pro is now three years without an update, and all most users wanted from the last update was a Silver Tower with Thunderbolt connectivity. The Mac Pro 2013 refresh doesn’t seem to be at all what the majority wanted, and for many it offers less real world capability versus the 2009 to 2012 Mac Pro tower models it replaced. If nothing else, it has available external bandwidth via thunderbolt ports that are about 5/8ths that of a single PCIe slot in the Silver tower, which has three such slots available (with its fourth utilized by default for a GPU/Video Card).

The 2013 Mac Pro was first nicknamed “trashcan” because of the similarity it had to a New York subway receptacle… And that nickname stuck mostly because it was grudgingly that a lot of pro users were “forced” to migrate to it. And while it does do some great stuff, and its memory and SSD can be upgraded through OWC, it’s far more limited than it needed to be having zero available high-bandwidth PCIe slots.

http://blog.macsales.com/36741-apple-sh ... 8YourMac13

(Nice post Squishy! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:33 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
8 will work, just expect it to pause a bit if using a Browser or such.

16 would be great, I think that's the hidden target in OSX, but 12 should be fine… I would put the GB in the 1st slot, but the speed tweak from that & matched sets is likely very small, in my testing a 10% increase in RAM speed equates to about 1% speed increase overall.

Don't worry, I'm only running a Virtual Machine here… & watching kids at Xmas opening presents! :D

OK; I have my 09 MBPro maxed out to 8 GB, to handle the upgrade from 10.6 to 10.9 . . . and for that 2.53 GHz C2D machine I haven't really noticed a problem. I do "use a browser" and I often have a bunch of tabs open . . . no BBs so far. I haven't tried to run dnetc while doing whatever I do on that machine, but just Mail and FF bunch of tabs, and a database program . . . for the most part, one desktop.

In contrast, this AM running my PM with the 2 GB RAM to CCC it before moving over to the new console . . . and then using DU to erase an ext HD partition . . . and trying to post to this forum, with the multiple tabs in TFF open . . . spinning BB every couple seconds, data lost after typing it, no response to clicking on tabs . . . I was just about blowing my top to ge basic stuff done. It's very clear that 2 GB RAM is "not enough for OSX" anymore.

So, this new/used machine is a bit of a "crusher" to the budget . . . need to break it up a bit . . . probably smarter to just get the new 8, add them to the existing 4, and then later, could always add another 8 . . . purchased one at a time it's fairly "reasonable" . . . . I do think that 4 GB is "not enough" for 10.9 . . . even on "Impulse drive."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I agree, just 8 more for now.

PS. Pacing up & down your street looking for UPS trucks now! :snail:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:33 pm 

I can't remember the last time I saw a beachball on my G5, and it's got 8GB of RAM. Its maxed out at 8GB, but, still.

I would opt for the 1333 RAM just because it's possible the CPU may address the memory at 1333 vs. 1066, which is a speed boost. Even if it doesn't you could, at some point in the future, upgrade the CPUs to a newer model that could use 1333 and then you'd already be set. At this point 1333 should be cheaper than 1066 but YMMV there, since Mac RAM doesn't always follow the rest of the PC market. If you want to save some money by mixing and matching 1333 with 1066, just put the 1066 in the lowest numbered slots and it should address all the RAM at 1066.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:56 pm 

Thanks for the posts and suggestions on the RAM. However, the continuing saga . . . continues . . . . Large box arrived before I went for my Tues bicycle ride . . . back a couple hours later, I immediately slash the box open and rip the large silver square out of the sprayed foam . . . and I slammed it onto my desk . . . forced the side panel off its hinges . . . and, everything looks "OK" inside . . . couple of tiny RAM slots, etc.

Power cord looked too short . . . ??? I joyfully detached the VGA display connector from the back of my now no longer useful PM ST and looking for a similar looking plug on the back of the now dented rear panel, from me smashing the VGA connector into any and all orifices . . . ???? SOL once again . . . in a rage I threw the bloody machine out my window . . . it's almost Summer here, so air conditioner natural wise will be fine. :bonk:

So, when I ordered the View Sonic display for the olde Power Mac Sawtooth I just went with the stock/supplied VGA item; it appears that VGA is "not supported" by the mid-2012 MP, and I need some other cord?? Or is there a VGA to "what the heck" adapter plug item??

Looks like the "pleasure" is going to have to be delayed for a few days??? I have something that either came with my G4 iBook or the MBPro that looks like "VGA" (can't tell if it's "male" or "female" VGA) to a small "rectangle" with some pins inside it, but that rectangle end also seems too large for the video ports on the back of the MP . . . .

It also might appear that the FW ports are still "plugged" over and weren't used?? Can't tell if they are the same type as my MBPro.

Anyway, question is what is easiest cheapest way to get the display connected . . . ??? And, then I'll try to look over the RAM choices, trying to make it a one time choice . . . . Looks like the ST is going to have to soldier onward for a little while longer. :snail:

e....

[Edit: Thinking about it for a minute, I'm thinking that getting a View Sonic cord with the possible correct to computer end, might be handier than some VGA adapter??? The access to unscrewing the VGA mount on the ST is now blocked by the "Silver Shadow" . . . so it's easier to just unplug the display end . . . for switching back and forth between the two units. I still want to do PPC linux testing on the ST, so it isn't going to total retirement. I'll have to look into what I didn't buy when I got the display . . . see if anything seems to make sense.]

Last edited by este.el.paz on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OOPs, I think it has 2 MiniDisplayPorts & you need this…

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/CBLMDPVGA/

Or…

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Kanex/MDPVGA10FT/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:50 pm 

I think this is a situation where a picture is worth a thousand words.

In all likelihood it has one or two MiniDP ports and a DVI port. The DVI port can cheaply be adapted to VGA.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067SOH

However without a picture of what ports are present I'm not really suggesting anything, just musing about what ports may or may not be present on the card inside your system (which is one of a number of different PCIe cards that were available for that Mac Pro).

In that vein, the internet has a lot of mac pro display card images posted. Does the left half of this image match yours?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:01 pm 

Thanks for the links . . . I posted an edit to my previous post, thinking I wanted the View Sonic cord that would go to whatever it is the "DVI" . . . but, of course price is a factor. It does have two "mini" somethings, and then a larger, more horizontal with what, female pins?? I can post a shot of it later . . . .

Sort of thinking it would be now easier to unplug the display end, as the two towers are now next to each other out on the end of a door tabletop . . . easier to change the display end . . . . But, we shall see.

e..

Edit: O crap, my slow loading ST graphics missed the images, yes, the one on the left looks close.

Edit2: Added the shot of the possible DVI port . . . I also have a shot of the min ports, if needed.

Attachments:
File comment: video port on '12 MP
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG [ 35.68 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:06 pm 

[url]http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA951S-19-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00NM75OZ4%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIXHJPOJ5CSRGZH2A%26tag%3Dbuychecom01
-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00NM75OZ4[/url]

That is the display that I bought, and on Amazon site it doesn't say anything about an extra cord; but on another VS page it says, "DVI cord not included" but down at the bottom it showed a "DVI to DVI" cord . . . . So, not knowing if the display is connected to DVI plug . . . it is going to a VGA at the computer (the old Power Mac) . . . .

I'll have to go back to the 22" VS and see how much they want for the DVI to DVI . . . I don't need 10' of cable for either of these units though.

e..

Possibly found that cord $8.48

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-Cable-Feet-Meters/dp/B00IHMFIBY/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41oGd0wMfML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=FRFT74RPPQ1VP7SK4NP6

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

The Monitor not found here… does the monitor have VGA or DVI like the cable link & your pick shows?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:06 pm 

I guess I broke the link to the monitor because it was so wide . . . .

Looking at the Amazon photos, the display has both VGA and DVI plugs available . . . and feeling around back there, there is another port besides the one that is plugged in, possibly it is VGA to VGA going to the ST.

But, the photo seems to show a little different DVI port on the display than is possibly shown in the photo I posted of the back of the Silver Shadow . . . this is without turning the display off and turning it upside-down to confirm or take a shot of the display plugs.

edit: Yeah, the display shows a small horizontal "-" to the side of the female pins, whereas the Apple MP plug is like a square pattern of four squares off to the side of the grouping of the main plug female squares.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

DVI types…

http://cdn.overclock.net/2/21/215b66d1_ ... types.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Make that url tiny for posting here…

http://tinyurl.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:02 pm 

Haven't had to do any tinyurl's in so long I forgot about it.

This one seemed to work from the tinyurl site for link to Amazon 19 inch VS display.

http://tinyurl.com/gtyblvm

Does that look like the one on the MP side is DVI-I "dual-link"??? It's only the 4 squares that matter?? The display side is another type, with a single flat blade or dash . . . . So I either need a "VGA to DVI-I dual-link" adapter, or I need a DVI -D dual link something to DVI-D, plus a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter??? Apple . . . why????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

hate Amazon because there's really no specs there, but///

http://ap.viewsonic.com/mm/products/lcd ... php#pSpecs

The Monitor is Single-link DVI, your Mac's port is Dual-link DVi but can run Single Link DVI with a Single-link DVI cable, the good news is you should be able to leave both connected I would think, but I don't see a button to switch inputs, perhaps it's OSD???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:40 pm 
Master

DVI is good, and your monitor apparently has it.

You can get a DVI for a few dollars: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

Congratulations on the new machine. Those a really nice systems. It'll last you many years.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:49 am 

este.el.paz wrote:
. . . in a rage I threw the bloody machine out my window . . . it's almost Summer here, so air conditioner natural wise will be fine. :bonk:

Meh, Windows. Who needs 'em when you got a Mac Pro. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:34 am 

BDAqua wrote:
hate Amazon because there's really no specs there, but///

http://ap.viewsonic.com/mm/products/lcd ... php#pSpecs

The Monitor is Single-link DVI, your Mac's port is Dual-link DVi but can run Single Link DVI with a Single-link DVI cable, the good news is you should be able to leave both connected I would think, but I don't see a button to switch inputs, perhaps it's OSD???

@BD: OK, I was wondering if I could have both plugged into the display, and then, only use one machine at a time. But, on the "Monitor is single link" . . . looking at the pattern in the photo of the monitor on Amazon it looks like one group of rectangles and then one horizontal dash (rather than two separate groups of squares with the dash). And then on the computer there is the one group of squares with the little group of 4 squares off to the side--question is how would the DVD-D (regular) cord attach on the computer? Doesn't seem like the horizontal blade can slide in?

So, question is, will the DVI to DVI cord that I linked work?? Or, the one that Anonymous linked is cheaper, would either of those work? I'm thinking that Pa Apple in his infinite wisdom is requiring some adapter to go from their version of DVI to the rest of the world's?? Clearly for less than $10 bucks the regular DVI to DVI cable would be great . . . but, yeah, don't think there is any "switch" on the display.

@Anonymous: Many thanks for that link and the emotional support . . . I'm sure the machine will be great once there is a display connector . . . . .

@roam: yep . . . but, having played with many iterations of linux . . . OSX is pretty solid for the GUI user . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:21 am 
Benevolent Dictator

The single-link DVI cables will fit the dual-link DVI slot on the computer, the - blade on the male connector of the cable fits in the horizontal slot of the female + computer end.

Quite a nifty design, it won't work the other way... plugging a Dual-link cable into a single link video card which cannot support dual-link, but a dual-link video card can support both. :)

Either would work.