XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:32 pm 

Has anyone got a solution to this one?

I have two Macs, both running 10.6.8 and the same version of Mail. One has emails in a number of different accounts, up until February 2012, and also starting again the past few days. The other has emails in the same accounts from February 2012 up until the present.

"All" I want to do is take the email messages from the second Mac and add them to the relevant accounts on the first Mac, in order to plug the hole there.

You know, I thought it would be as easy as dragging tracks from iTunes onto a flash drive, or pictures from iPhoto into another organiser, or just moving files from one folder to another. But no.

Surely there's a way to do it? I can't believe I can't just "drag and drop". After all, each email message is a separate file unlike a Microsofty mail database. Any help or suggestion gratefully received.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:57 pm 

~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes (your user library)

Select a Mailbox>mbox>Messages and select all the the .mlxs (could put them on a Flash drive or an external) and then move them over to the appropriate mailbox (same location) in the other Mac.

If not a Flash drive or external, e-mail them to yourself or connect the two Macs in Firewire Target Disk Mode, with the target being the Mac which has the e-mails to transfer. This will effectively turn the target Mac into an external HD. Copy the files from the target to the other Mac. You can also copy in the other direction.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think WZZZ meant…

.emlx

(dot ee em el ex)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:59 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I think WZZZ meant…

.emlx

(dot ee em el ex)

Yep. Some brain slippage there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You must be dealing with Apple then! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:29 am 

That sounds like a logical solution WZZZ - and within my capabilities! Just one question : as Mail will have two completely independent numbering systems for the .emlx messages, couldn't there be a conflict when adding some messages to a mailbox that has the same numbers but for different messages?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:29 am 

MacBiter wrote:
That sounds like a logical solution WZZZ - and within my capabilities! Just one question : as Mail will have two completely independent numbering systems for the .emlx messages, couldn't there be a conflict when adding some messages to a mailbox that has the same numbers but for different messages?

I guess that's possible, but don't really know how possible, since I've never done this. I suppose you could compare at least some of the numbers beforehand to see if that might happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 am 

Yes!

It works - but I DO have to go through the pain barrier of checking the numbers first. Surprisingly there aren't that many used twice, it's just the checking that's a pain. Then, having copied the emails across to their relevant POP-xxxxxx folders, it's then just a matter of doing a 'Rebuild' for each Mailbox in Mail, before I can actually see the messages.

It's a bit time-consuming and laborious, but it does work. Thanks, O Wise One. :D

Now to try and manage something similar for Address Book (which will import an archived address book, but tells me sternly that doing so will REPLACE (rather than 'add to') the existing contents. It never rains...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:29 am 

You could also export and import mailboxes. Mail does have that functionality. I've used that function to save my mailboxes from years past and had to find certain mails that were archived and restored them that way. Syncing them across machines like this would probably be easier than manually moving them and checking numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:34 am 

Quote:
Now to try and manage something similar for Address Book (which will import an archived address book, but tells me sternly that doing so will REPLACE (rather than 'add to') the existing contents. It never rains...

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook. I haven't tried this, but I think if you copy over the Metadata from there the same way you did with the .emlxs in Mail it should work. At least, I don't see why not.

I would think with Squishy's suggestion to use Import Mailboxes you'd run up against the same issue with possible conflicts. No idea what would happen then. Wonder if you'd get a message of some kind or if it would just go ahead and replace the current one with the older.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:56 am 

WZZZ wrote:
~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook. I haven't tried this, but I think if you copy over the Metadata from there the same way you did with the .emlxs in Mail it should work. At least, I don't see why not.

I would think with Squishy's suggestion to use Import Mailboxes you'd run up against the same issue with possible conflicts. No idea what would happen then. Wonder if you'd get a message of some kind or if it would just go ahead and replace the current one with the older.

That was always my fear with archiving and restoring mailboxes - that it would overwrite my entire mailbox OR I would have to manually go through and restore them one by one?

I will try your Address Book suggestion, but before then, I have one ask in relation to the email exercise. I've done 6 of the 7 mail accounts, but the one remaining is my main one. And wouldn't you know, there's a possible 750 number conflicts. I've had a look at the problem and moved across chunks of emlx's where there was no possibility of conflict, but the 750 are what remain and many of them ARE the same as in the target mailbox. I've done a calculation, and I've worked out that if I was to add 40,000 to the number that forms the name of the .emlx file (e.g. 51034.emlx becomes 91034.emlx) I could sweep away all the potential conflicts. However, I've never learned Apple Scripting - is there any way I could do this? Let me tell you, doing it manually 700+ times is NOT an option!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:01 am 

I'll have to leave the Apple Script project to someone else. But if you want to try Squishy's suggestion, make a backup copy of the entire Mail folder and move it to the Desktop (Option-drag to the Desktop.) Then you can always restore it later if it doesn't work out. Same with Address Book.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Mail Import will import to a whole new Mailbox called Import1, Import2, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 am 

WZZZ wrote:
I'll have to leave the Apple Script project to someone else. But if you want to try Squishy's suggestion, make a backup copy of the entire Mail folder and move it to the Desktop (Option-drag to the Desktop.) Then you can always restore it later if it doesn't work out. Same with Address Book.

BDAqua wrote:
Mail Import will import to a whole new Mailbox called Import1, Import2, etc.

So, on the flash drive, I have the 753 remaining messages in a copy of POP-my.name@mail.ISP.server/INBOX.mbox/Messages. You're saying that Mail would import those 753 messages 'as is', to a new Mailbox Import1? And from there of course, I could just drag and drop them to my main mailbox within Mail. Have I got that correct? (No. It didn't work. Mail asked for files in "mbox" format, but whichever level I selected (from POP, through INBOX, to Messages, or even the message files themselves), Mail just kept coming back with an error telling me it couldn't find the mbox format. And it's no good archiving the entire mailbox as I've now moved between 1500-2000 messages over, all I've got left is the 750+)

BTW I solved the Address Book thing very easily - I just did Export > VCards (having selected every card first). Then the target Address Book offered to import all of them, but also gave me several options where cards appeared to be the same (Keep Old, Keep New, Keep Both, or Merge) which was very handy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good work on AB! :)

You have it right on Mail, but the silly thing is that Mail>Import, requires you to select the top Mail folder itself YourUsername>Library>Mail, after you choose that whole folder it takes awhile then gives you the choices of which mailboxes to import...

Attachments:
MailIportChoices.gif
MailIportChoices.gif [ 74.24 KiB | Viewed 742 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Oh, then there's...

Import emlx to mbox, See if this helps...

http://www.cosmicsoft.net/emlxconvert.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:37 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Good work on AB! :)

You have it right on Mail, but the silly thing is that Mail>Import, requires you to select the top Mail folder itself YourUsername>Library>Mail, after you choose that whole folder it takes awhile then gives you the choices of which mailboxes to import...

Wow, it worked! I added a folder Library on the flash drive, then another folder Mail within that, then moved the one mailbox into it. I selected the Mail folder via Mail's Import, but this time I chose Apple Mail and not 'mbox format'. It placed the 750+ messages (and the Sent mailbox I selected also) into an Import folder, from where I just dragged them into the correct mailbox folders and then opted to 'Rebuild'. Wish I'd known all that right from the get go! But if anyone says "you can't merge Mail mailboxes" I'm here to tell them "Oh but you can..."

Give yourselves a pat on the back :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work, thanks for the report! :)