XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:27 pm 

G4 Powerbook with Leopard and iTunes 10.6.1. I was playing music through a sound system by routing headphone output to microphone input and adjusting microphone level. Charger plugged in all the time, battery 99% charged (wasn't sure how robust a battery that is at least 5, and possibly even 12 years old might be [gifted computer]). Towards the end of the session I decided I didn't need to leave the charger attached since the battery wasn't going to die with 2 minutes playtime left. When I unplugged it from the Mac the audio vanished! It was still playing on the computer and I presume it was producing sound -- the headphone socket had a jack in it so I couldn't hear anything. I quickly perused Energy Saver settings and iTunes settings and can't see anything to account for this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:38 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Seems like some Auto-switching for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:13 pm 

Its funny to think that as part of the Intel transition Apple got rid of most of it's electronic engineering staff, since all the Intel chipsets & related ICs were off the shelf parts, with the design and assembly farmed out to contractors like ASUS and Foxconn. Only to see iDevices take off and Apple wanting to assume more control over the chips inside, leading them to hire EE staff to custom-design SoCs and other ICs...

There were some quirks with the G4s. The microphone input is a microphone-level input, not a line level input. You may be better off getting something like an iMic and looping it back into itself, since it has an adjustable line-level vs. mic-level input. The audio is actually cleaner on an iMic too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:35 pm 

Sorry, I should have been clearer:

G4 audio from iTunes --> headphone socket --> cable --> microphone input on PA system.

I was using my old G4 notebook because I was taking some pre-recorded stuff to put over the PA at an event between announcements. My MacBook is used in clamshell mode and I didn't want to take my main computer to an event with kids charging about the place. They had the PA system which has microphone sockets and line-in. Initially I tried headphone to line-in but even though I had all volumes on the G4 cranked up all the way and the line in also cranked up it came out pretty quietly so I used the microphone socket on the PA system to take input instead.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:06 am 

Ah, that does make sense. It could have been because of the voltage difference, the chipset finally had had enough of the difference in voltage, but likely was something to do with power management.

And my seemingly off-topic discussion about Apple creating their own chips is my way of explaining all the quirks with PowerPC systems. Almost every model includes unique ICs that are only found in that model, so every model has its own unique problems. The laptops, being so power focused, often had problems that were never seen in the desktops because all these custom ICs were rarely shared between the two.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:51 am 

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't yet another preference somewhere. When I plugged the charger back into the Powerbook the audio returned so I just left it plugged in the remaining 2 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:53 pm 

I wonder if you had unplugged the miniplug from the G4 and plugged it back in if it'd have worked?

The only other power management related system preference on PowerPC systems is the Processor.prefPane from CHUD, where you can adjust the processor nap setting (near as I can tell it enables a form of CPU idling), turn on/off L2/L3 caches, and other fun stuff. That prefpane was last seen in CHUD 4.4.4, 4.5 and up lack it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

CHUD 4.6.2

New in CHUD 4.6.2:

CHUD 4.6.2 fixes a variety of bugs.

Significant changes include:

• Improved support for iPhone profiling
• Cycle/latency information for ARM processors

Requires MacOS X 10.4 or later.

Computer Hardware Understanding Developer Tools (CHUD Tools)

The Computer Hardware Understanding Developer Tools (CHUD Tools) are designed to help hardware and software developers measure and optimize the performance of Macintosh systems. All of the CHUD tools fully support the latest in Macintosh hardware and software. Documentation is installed in /Developer/ADC Reference Library/CHUD. Example code can be found in /Developer/Examples/CHUD.

Profiling

Shark
Shark is a source line level profiling tool that shows you where time is being spent (both user and supervisor code) and correlates performance events to your program's code. A command line version (shark) is also provided.

BigTop
BigTop is a graphing front end to the performance statistics available from the top and vm_stat command line tools. It is useful for monitoring how system- and application-level behavior changes over time. BigTop supports the local systems as well as network systems over Bonjour and TCP/IP.

PMC Index
PMC Index is a search tool for finding performance counter events and their setup.

Saturn
Saturn is an exact, function-level profiler with which you can generate and view a complete function call trace of your application.

chudRemoteCtrl
ChudRemoteCtrl is a command line tool for remotely starting MONster or Shark. It is useful when scripting performance tests or when logged in remotely. A man page is provided.

Tracing

acid
Acid is used to analyze TT6E instruction traces and present detailed analyses and histogram reports. A manpage for acid is provided.

simg4
Simg4 is a cycle-accurate simulator of the Motorola 7400 processor which takes TT6 or TT6E traces as input.

simg4_plus
Simg4_plus is a cycle-accurate simulator of the Motorola 7450 processor which takes TT6E traces as input.

simg5
Simg5 is a cycle-accurate simulator of the IBM 970 processor which takes TT6E traces as input. See /Developer/ADC Reference Library/CHUD/SimG5_ReadMe.txt for more information.

Hardware

Processor Preferences
Processor Preferences is a system preference pane setting low-level hardware parameters and disabling processors on the fly. A command-line version (hwprefs) is provided.

Reggie SE
Reggie SE allows you to examine and modify PowerPC supervisor state registers (SPRs) and PCI device configuration registers.

Spindown HD
Spindown HD monitors the power state of drives connected to the system.

reggie_se
Reggie_se is a scriptable command line version of the Reggie SE application that allows developers to examine and modify CPU and PCI device configuration registers.

Development

CHUD.framework
Framework to access the functionality in CHUD, along with other helpful functions geared toward collecting performance event data from a PowerPC and Intel processors. The CHUD.framework provides a timebased data sampling mechanism, and a hot-key toggled sampling mechanism.
See /Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/CHUD/CHUDFramework/ for more information.

Additional Documentation and Help

Web Sites

http://developer.apple.com: Apple's Developer Connection site is the best source of official up to date technical documentation on Mac OS X as well as being the primary place to find out about developing for the Macintosh platform.

http://bugreport.apple.com: Bug reports is the place to file bug reports for any Apple software.

Email

perftools-feedback@group.apple.com: Send feedback and suggestions on how to improve any of the CHUD tools and applications.

© 2008 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iBook, iPod, Mac, Macintosh, PowerBook, Power Macintosh, Mac Pro, Macbook, and Macbook Pro are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iMac and Power Mac are trademarks of Apple Inc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:48 pm 

That's the current version. Isn't it Intel-only now?

Edit: Nope, the processor.prefpane is there, and supports PPC. They must have added it back, it was definitely dropped it in 4.5.x. That's good, because 4.4.4 is nowhere to be found.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:06 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, my CHUD 4.5 DMG/PKG has the prefpane in Developer>Extras>PreferncePanes…

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:37 pm 

Hmm. I wonder if CHUD 4.4.4 installed it in the system preferences by default while 4.5 requires you to go into developer tools and install it yourself?

My 4.4.4 vs. 4.5 was based on someone writing that he couldn't find the prefpane in 4.5 through Pacifist, which is a pretty good way of searching for whats in an installer. Maybe they updated the 4.5 installer after release?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:11 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I think 4.5 does need a manual install of the prefpane.