XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Xserve Dual G5
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:40 am 

I have found a basically new G5 Xserve . It has 2G of RAM and 3 SATA 150 Drives, I have the OS X Tiger server disk. I want to bring it alive and think that I should first replace the battery? Anyone remember these units? It has a big purple battery. I like the chrome face of it. Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Xserve Dual G5
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am 

That's a cool find!! I always liked the engineering that went into these.

I've worked on one of these. There is a motherboard battery and also a special 72 hour battery for the RAID. We had the last one they ever made, a 2009 model i think, and the RAID battery started to go bad in 2013. they are pretty expensive http://www.amazon.com/922-8484-Apple-Ba ... B00BRDS308

here's a video about the replacement procedure for the RAID battery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7g1lDXJw1I

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:38 pm 

mc68k wrote:
That's a cool find!! I always liked the engineering that went into these.

I've worked on one of these. There is a motherboard battery and also a special 72 hour battery for the RAID. We had the last one they ever made, a 2009 model i think, and the RAID battery started to go bad in 2013. they are pretty expensive http://www.amazon.com/922-8484-Apple-Ba ... B00BRDS308

here's a video about the replacement procedure for the RAID battery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7g1lDXJw1I

Thank you so much! This might be my memorial day fun project. It looks just like the batteries in my old beige PowerMacs. I seem to remember always damaging the plastic battery holder though, when swapping batteries. They always seem to be brittle. Is there a trick to this?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:40 pm 

Assuming we're talking about the PRAM battery, the cover is held in place by two notches in each end of the top cover, which go over nubs in the holder on the motherboard. I usually use a fingernail to pry it up a little until it lifts up slightly (over the notch), then do the same to the other side and then it's free, free. If you pull it out too far it snaps off and if you try to remove it using one free side then the other side will similarly snap off.

That being said, I can't count the number of old Macs I've seen missing covers and the batteries stay secure during everything except cross-country moves. OTOH I've seen a power mac transported cross-country via ups and not only did the battery cover and battery come loose, but so did a whole lot of other components too, then the individuals responsible for setting up the systems powered it on without opening up (All those rattling bits? Perfectly normal, I'm sure)... the thing was a complete loss by the time they shipped it back to me and I put it back together. I never did figure out what piece shorted where.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:50 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Assuming we're talking about the PRAM battery, the cover is held in place by two notches in each end of the top cover, which go over nubs in the holder on the motherboard. I usually use a fingernail to pry it up a little until it lifts up slightly (over the notch), then do the same to the other side and then it's free, free. If you pull it out too far it snaps off and if you try to remove it using one free side then the other side will similarly snap off.

That being said, I can't count the number of old Macs I've seen missing covers and the batteries stay secure during everything except cross-country moves. OTOH I've seen a power mac transported cross-country via ups and not only did the battery cover and battery come loose, but so did a whole lot of other components too, then the individuals responsible for setting up the systems powered it on without opening up (All those rattling bits? Perfectly normal, I'm sure)... the thing was a complete loss by the time they shipped it back to me and I put it back together. I never did figure out what piece shorted where.

Thank you, it's the PRAM battery. Good to know that it fits tight! Thanks.