XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:50 am 

Yep. It's "alive" again . . . typing this in the olde Sawtooth . . . still not clear what happened before and not clear what "fixed" it. Some things don't seem to be working too well, possibly the culprit is the used op drive, as that didn't respond to the "c" key, or using the "alt" key to boot a DVD, but, the disk would "mount" on the desktop . . . that was yesterday.

Steps I took: 1)after screen went dead--buy new PRAM battery and install it. 2) buy an ide adaptor thingie, take HD out of the computer and power it up and move some files. 3)Unplug the machine for three weeks. 4) Build a new desktop surface to provide space to "work" on the machine. 5) Move the machine onto that surface. 6) Put the HD back in the machine. 7) Plug it in and boot the machine--chime sounds!!! 8) Plug in keyboard & mouse. 9) Plug in display and ethernet and reboot. [edit: OSX TFF got crashy, now over in linux] 10) Linux boots, but then crashes in a few mins, video OK, cursor freezes. 11) Reboot into OSX, it "works" but browsers can't connect, even though network shows "connected." Since I'm dual-booting I can't get to single user for AJ, so I try Onyx . . . seems to take "forever," so I FQ out and into DU for "verify disk' . . . "disk OK." Running repair permissions winds up taking 3 hours for 10.5,, showing the line "ACL found but not expected" through an endless list of "Applications." When that finished I again tried Onyx, got through permissions in half an hour, but then stalled in the "weekly scripts." I FQ'd it again. 12) This AM I tried to set the PRAM . . . did 5 or 6 chimes. 13) Downloaded the latest TFF, tried to post here, got up to #9 before it just wasn't typing in the box, able to reboot in U-MATE and rough out the rest of this post, with just a little "crashy" behavior--seems like the 1.2GHz cpu and 2 GB RAM aren't enough for posting here.

Things left to do, see if the op drive will boot a live DVD; holding the C key would get me to the GRUB window, and then even if I selected "cdrom" the op drive tray would eject the DVD. This behavior was happening before in U-MATE sesh, but, in XFCE sesh it was fine, would "mount" the image and tray would stay closed. But, I couldn't get OSX to recognize the DVD by holding alt key.

Anyway, seems like I'm getting this post typed out in linux, and the machine is generally "working" . . . the linux side got messed up awhile back and, ideally I'd like to re-install something, perhaps if I have a usb drive live session I can try it that way. For now, the "Zombie" walks . . . .

e.e.p.

[edit: after posting I was able to use alt key to get a live DVD to boot . . . so, overall, the G4 is "back" and in comparison to the mPro . . . slow . . . but, functioning; so if I "need" a PPC fix . . . it's there waiting.]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
seems like the 1.2GHz cpu and 2 GB RAM aren't enough for posting here.

I doubt those 2 are of any consequences. eMac 1.42 GHz/2GB is blazingly fast on this site in every browser.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:51 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
seems like the 1.2GHz cpu and 2 GB RAM aren't enough for posting here.

I doubt those 2 are of any consequences. eMac 1.42 GHz/2GB is blazingly fast on this site in every browser.

Could be the extra .22 ponies . . . gets the job done?? Indeed, "traditionally" when my 933 MHz iBook would be stalling in Gmail with it's heavy resource demand, over here it would do just fine . . . . And, even typing emails in Gmail would be "too much" for it . . . but, today that is what was happening over here in the PM, I was thinking that it was going "OK" . . . then it seemed like the "smilies" were pulling too much juice, and the cursor was disappearing . . . and the letters that had been typed were taking a looonnngg time, if at all to show up in OSX . . . .

The display in U-MATE 16.04 or the GUI was a tad "crashy" . . . as in, moving the cursor would show jagged movement as a crashy hesitation moment happened, but the system "restored" itself . . . this is somewhat "common" behavior in the PPC iterations, as problems don't get fixed by the devs . . . . It looks like a fairly large upgrade of 256MB is waiting there . . . as well as possibly trying to get through an Onyx "tune-up" . . . but, having spent about 6 hours running yesterday messing around with it . . . the PRAM re-set perhaps helped out somewhat . . . but seems like the "permissions" and "scripts" got "messed with" at some point . . . . Other things to do right now . . . it'll be there when I get back to it.

e.e.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:46 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Could be the extra .22 ponies . . . gets the job done??

I can't test it, but I don't think this site would slow much even on a 266 MHz G3 using Dial-up.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:04 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
Could be the extra .22 ponies . . . gets the job done??

I can't test it, but I don't think this site would slow much even on a 266 MHz G3 using Dial-up.

I'm still trying to "diagnose" what happened to the G4 . . . in essence "total meltdown" . . . no boot chime, no open formware, no booting DVD's . . . and then, after surgical removal of HD . . . unplugging . . . R&R of HD and replugging . . . it's "lights on" . . . but couldn't get my post typed and posted to XYMer's ????

Is this a "video card" issue? Other than this problem with getting letters typed into a web post . . . the rest seems "OK" . . . the only other apparent problem is that the "swirlygig" screensaver doesn't make smooth swirly-gigs . . . they are sharp and broken and the swirly-gigs don't move . . . ?? At some point I could check and see if the iBook in 10.4 can get the swirlly-gigs to show up smoothly . . . probably takes a good video card to make them swirl around?? We're talking about the OSX screensaver . . . seems like that hasn't worked well in the PM for quite awhile . . . "relevant"?? "Diagnostic"???

e.e.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:53 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Honestly, sounds like the biggest problem is some bad Capacitor, possibly in the video circuit, & I swear the screensaver your talking about was designed to break Macs, but yes that sounds like Vodeo card problems.

Sadly there was no AHT for the AGPs that I'm aware of. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:10 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Honestly, sounds like the biggest problem is some bad Capacitor, possibly in the video circuit, & I swear the screensaver your talking about was designed to break Macs, but yes that sounds like Vodeo card problems.

Sadly there was no AHT for the AGPs that I'm aware of. :(

OK, yeah, I have no AHT disk for it, I have one for my olde iMac 800 and the iBook, but neither of those would work on the PM in the past. Of course AHT generally isn't worth the time spent messing with it . . . sort of telling you what you could already know . . . but taking time to do it . . . .

But the "capacitor" you are referring to would be in the mobo? Therefore, not something that would be changed by potentially flipping in a new-er video card? Or, possibly fiddling with the card might work?

Anyway, as of right now, it is more or less "working" . . . any thoughts on what that "ACL was found but not expected" line that went on for hours in DU is about?? Haven't tried to run "repair permissions" again today . . . after the PRAM re-set; I'm mostly "happy" that it revived for now . . . . I have SMARTReporter and of course that shows "OK" . . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:35 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Don't worry about the ACLs, it just means at some point another YOU was given read &/or write privileges to those files & directories... & 10.5 is point at which Apple was switching PKG receipt stubs for Permission checks with a Database for those checks, it's been totally messed up since, so much so that now Apple won't even allow Permission fixes. :(

Tough to tell where that Cap might be, (could even be electrostatic dust in the PSU, or even under the Logic board, even though dry dust doesn't hold a charge all that long in my experience).

Quote:
sort of telling you what you could already know . . .

One nightmare/daymare I have is that I won't know something, misremember something, forget something, or cross info from the Anti-universe with this one... & people will fear beheading by the Dictator for correcting him, or be too kind/forgiving of his senelity. :welcome:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Just found this, think it'd help you?
Quote:
Using the MacTest Pro for G4 CD

Booting from the MacTest Pro for G4 CD

You can boot any Macintosh G4-based (except Power Mac G4 PCI Graphics) from the MacTest Pro CD and run either MTP Emergency or MacTest Pro. The CD contains Mac OS 9.2.2.

To boot from the CD, insert the CD and then start (or restart) the computer. Press and hold down the "c" key while the system is starting up. Continue holding down the key until the "Happy Mac" icon appears on your screen.

Printing

To print test reports and documentation, you must boot the computer from the internal hard drive and then open the CD. Printing is not available when you are booted from the CD.

Launching MTP Emergency (G4) from the CD

Double-click the "MTP Emergency (G4)" application icon.

Launching MacTest Pro from the CD

There is a folder at the root level of the CD called "Run MacTest Pro," which contains custom configurations. These configurations include the following:

Power Macintosh
RAM Tests
Drives

To run MacTest Pro open the "Run MacTest Pro" folder and double-click on the appropriate icon. MacTest Pro for G4 will launch and load the appropriate test modules.

The Power Macintosh configuration tests most aspects of the system; it does not test the optical drive.The RAM Tests configuration tests both RAM and VRAM. The Drives configuration tests mass storage devices such as hard drives, ZIP drives, CD-ROM drives, DVD-ROM drives, DVD-RAM drives, and DAT drives.

MacTest Pro Documentation

The Documentation folder contains several documents that can help you use MacTest Pro more effectively.

Refer to the Read Me file for last minute updates and late-breaking information.

The MacTest Pro for G4 User's Guide provides detailed information about each test, instructions for running the tests successfully, and general reference information.

This guide has been formatted as a viewer document, which allows you to search on key words, go to a specific page, and print all or part of the guide. A particular portion of the guide can be located by referring to the table of contents or using the search function of the viewer. Use the help option of the viewer to learn how all of its features work.

NOTE: When printing pages from the guide, you may need to enter a different number than the page numbers on the bottom of each page. This is because the cover and table of contents count as pages to the viewer. To determine the correct page number (s) to print, use the page numbers on the bottom of the viewer window.

Utilities

The Utilities folder located at the root level of the CD contains tools that may be useful.

System Requirements

To use the MacTest Pro for G4 CD, you'll need:

• Macintosh G4-based system.
• minimum of 64 MB of RAM.
• proper test media for the CD/DVD/DAT Test.

Startup Problems/Solutions

If the CD-ROM icon does not appear on your screen after you insert the CD, check that the CD-ROM driver is in the System Folder. If the driver is not in the System Folder, install the driver from the original disk that came with the computer, then restart the computer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:39 pm 

I'm a little fuzzy... which 1.2Ghz CPU did you get again? Was it some Sonnet unit you found on eBay?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:19 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I'm a little fuzzy... which 1.2Ghz CPU did you get again? Was it some Sonnet unit you found on eBay?

@MB && BDaq:

Sorry guys, I didn't get a notification on the last few posts here . . . but I did run the MTP test, several times and even ran some "loops" and the machine tested "OK" . . . so, since then I haven't run it, but, other than the zip drive (no floppies to insert) the machine "passed."

The cpu is a Mercury Extreme unit I got from a fellow on eBay . . . which might be able to do 1.4, but "we" have it set at 1.2 GHz . . . . I was thinking that perhaps the cpu took a dive in the recent "death spiral scenario" . . . but, as of a week ago, the machine booted, ran, and rebooted into the test CD and "passed." ?????

e.e.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Since the test runs in OS9 & OS X crashes early, that could indicate RAM/RAM slot problem. OS9 was very forgiving of even really bad RAM.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:26 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Since the test runs in OS9 & OS X crashes early, that could indicate RAM/RAM slot problem. OS9 was very forgiving of even really bad RAM.

@BD:

Not following the advice here . . . I get perhaps you are saying that the MTP tester is in OS9 and might be more forgiving of bad RAM . . . so it tested "OK" . . . . But I believe I ran the computer for a few hours last week before posting this thread and it did OK, probably in both 10.5 & U-Mate 16???

Haven't had a need to boot it again, but I'll get back to it and see if she runs OK . . . the Zombie Bride . . . will be considered to be "living" machine . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ahhh, it's been too long, forgot... we're back to you having discovered a Time Particle. :coffee:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:34 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Ahhh, it's been too long, forgot... we're back to you having discovered a Time Particle. :coffee:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: Well, "time" is "particulate matter" at base, so yep . . . not too hard to find one around here, much the same for the last 30 years of "time accumulation" . . . .

So, I was trying to run DU && post a reply here, and just didn't happen as the "repair permission" process was overwhelming the zomb Time particle/cpu . . . but, I "remembered" or tried to get to single user via the Yaboot window, and it worked!! So I ran applejack to save the day!!! Also took it about a half an hour to get through the endless list of "ACL found but not expected" for every file in the system . . . but eventually made it through, finding everything to be "OK" using the "applejack AUTO restart" commands . . . .

Rebooted into U-Mate/XFCE session, which I think is a bit newer than 10.5 . . . to make this post on the PM 3,1 . . . been running now for 1.5+ hours . . . such as it is . . . "awake" in the flow of particulate time matrix . . . . :snail:

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:46 pm 

Zombie fans:

On a similar note to the zombie PM story . . . yesterday I took advantage of some new desktop surface to try to remove the HD from the olde toasted G4 iMac that I had unplugged and put on the floor, along with other detritus and junk . . . and it stayed there for over a year collecting dust . . . .

Cleaned it off a bit, plugged it in and just for kicks I booted it up . . . immediate "kernel panic" black lines with white text of death to remind that this unit is Zombie!!! Rebooted into single user to try to get applejack to pop up . . . no luck on that front . . . couldn't think of any commands to run, so I rebooted and re-set the PRAM for 6 chimes . . . then on restart the Yaboot window opened and it loaded the Xubuntu 12.04 log in . . . and . . . I logged in. Multiple "crash" windows opened, but the system kept running . . . ran through some "apt-get update/upgrade" commands and there are some errors . . . seems to cycle through the "install" but the packages aren't actually "installing" . . . winds up with an error "subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)" . . . I ran "apt-get -f install" in various iterations, it says "fixing dependencies . . . dependencies fixed" . . . but, then, something seems to not get fixed . . . .

Anyway, Zombie2 is Baaacccccckkkk . . . system runs . . . but, doesn't seem to update properly . . . I've forgotten all my boot parameters that I used to run linux on the iMac G4 . . . which is a bit "difficult" to do . . . so I'm a tad loathe to try another install as it is using the "nv" driver, which is no longer supported . . . have to say the display is very crisp with the Nvidia video card & "nv" . . . . But, OSX won't boot at all . . . 800 MHz cpu . . . and not too much RAM . . . I forget . . . Firefox doesn't seem to be able to update in 12.04 at this point . . . .

Return of the PPC Zombies . . . redux!!! :fishsmack: :coffee: :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
couldn't think of any commands to run, so I rebooted and re-set the PRAM for 6 chimes . . .

That part was likely corrupted PRAM from dead battery. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:52 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
couldn't think of any commands to run, so I rebooted and re-set the PRAM for 6 chimes . . .

That part was likely corrupted PRAM from dead battery. :)

Dead battery?? Don't have no dead battery . . . but, does seem like setting PRAM "fixed" the computer . . . ????

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, if the PRAM gets distorted you'd expect severe or no startup problems, a Reset or 3 will restore default PRAM settings from PROM, 3 or 4 times leo restores NVRAM.

Are you saying the g4 iMac has good PRAM Battery?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:59 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Well, if the PRAM gets distorted you'd expect severe or no startup problems, a Reset or 3 will restore default PRAM settings from PROM, 3 or 4 times leo restores NVRAM.

Are you saying the g4 iMac has good PRAM Battery?

"Good" battery???? It's prolly the OEM equipment issue, but, machine boots and runs now . . . in the single user screen there was some comment about "Superdrive not recognized" . . . and OSX 10.4 GUI boots to kernel panic . . . but Xubun 12.04 boots through the "crash reports" . . . and runs "OK" for some time . . . .

It does seem like some "distortion" happened to the linux software, as it can't seem to "dpkg" the downloaded upgrades and finish the install . . . but, the system runs, I used the olde FF browser . . . computer ran for a couple hours in Xu 12.04 and the display is crystal clear . . . very tidy. 8-)

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd pull the Data cable at least from the G4 iMac for a test.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:01 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I'd pull the Data cable at least from the G4 iMac for a test.

?? What is that? And what would it show?

I recall that at some point in the slowly creeping death of re-occurring kernel panics that I probably at least ran the AHT on it . . . problem is now that the OSX side isn't booting, so I don't know whether an OSX disk will run or not . . . this is somewhat of a "rainy day in LA" type of job . . . other stuff to fiddle with.

It's just amusing that it sat for so long, and then just plugging it in gets it going, and that previously even the linux side wasn't working, but, now possibly due to PRAM re-set . . . is "working" . . . .

e

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:56 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

The big flat cble...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G4+17 ... ement/7044

PRAM Battery...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G4+17 ... ement/7039

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 pm 

BDAqua wrote:

OK. And you mean to remove and replace that cable? Or, unplug it to "break up corrosion"?? Or??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Just disconnect it & see if it acts better.