XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:24 am 

Usually with daily builds you try builds until you find one that works for you, then you stick with it. If you're having issues with a build then you keep downloading new builds until you find one that you can live with.

BD, they probably use a Safari or Safari-like wrapper for WebKit, rather than going through the trouble of rolling something on their own (ala Chrome).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:44 am 

@MB:

Cool. So far it's working pretty well, only thing I've noticed is that not all sites auto-fill passwords; like this one I have to manually enter, even though I've now logged in and out several times in this browser. And the "back" arrow doesn't seem to contain the "history" as it does in TFF, and it goes back to a page it seems to select . . . .

Otherwise, very zippy . . . and 7 tabs has not overwhelmed it . . . I usually keep a number of tabs going . . . I'm an "over-tabber" . . . never enough tabs . . . to keep all the plates spinning that need to be spun and or re-visited . . . . This one might be a keeper . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:12 am 

este.el.paz wrote:
I'm an advocate for the PPC side of Apple machines . . . nostalgia for when Apple was the "alternative" that technically didn't "make sense."

It is nice hanging on to some old things for sentimental reasons.
Also when Apple were busy inventing the iPhone their attention was less on Mac OSX which allowed 10.4 to have the longest lifespan to date. I think that extended experience etched itself deeply with users through familiarity. In contrast, current OSes have now become deciduous, shedding their leaves each Autumn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:45 am 

10.4 was also from an era when each iteration of OS X was measurably faster than the one before it on the same hardware.

Contrast that with what Apple's done since 10.7, where each iteration gets slower. 10.5 turned the corner where it was slower, only to have Apple capriciously speed up Intel customers with 10.6 (late in 10.6's development a decision was made to remove PPC support).

And the less said about Apple failing to fix long-standing bugs while implementing often half-baked features ever since 10.7 the better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:36 am 

I liked 10.4, it was "light" . . . did what I needed . . . it just ran into trouble with this cpu, and I couldn't install Tiger . . . only Leopard . . . . But, have to say the Webkit Leopard is pretty good . . . doesn't do everything that I need to do . . . but, so far has not "crashed" itself . . . a big plus.

This am SeaMonkey crashed/non-responded at the little "make this browser default" window????

e...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Does dragging a URL to SeaMonkey's icon or using Right Click>Open with>SeaMonkey work???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Does dragging a URL to SeaMonkey's icon or using Right Click>Open with>SeaMonkey work???

I can't get that far . . . somewhat "moot" at this point, SM was what I was hoping would get me away from TFF, but, because it is even "older" appearing to web sites, it never got me where I wanted it, never got it to be what it was before . . . full-featured browser, etc.

With the Webkit option to TFF, for the few things I can't get with WK, I can briefly launch TFF . . . . In SM it isn't responding to attempts to un-check "browser" and "email" as default for SM . . . and isn't responding to attempts to un-check "check this every time" option . . . I tried to get to "preferences" but with the drop-down menu open, nothing happens . . . and then it goes "un-responsive" . . . but, right now, it isn't "mission critical" . . . it's just one of those things I'd like to get working . . . at some point.

Since in the past I found Safari to "not work" I never got it totally set up and/or thrashed through . . . right now, trying to explore the params of Safari . . . .

e....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Are you running SeaMonkey 2..5?

http://macpowerpc.com/tag/seamonkey/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:39 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Are you running SeaMonkey 2..5?

http://macpowerpc.com/tag/seamonkey/

I'll check it later, I'm at work now . . . I think it was the sourceforge "seamonkey for PPC" ???? edition, trying to get it into the "newer" browser capacity . . . . I'll let you know what I find, when I gets there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:36 am 

Looks like it is version SM-for-ppc 2.26 . . . tried to check the version of it, in the browser, but got into that drop down menu catch-22, I "canceled" it, and it did close but then back into the spinning BB. No big deal, but does render it "not use-able." Can't get to prefs or do anything as BB is cutting it off from inputs.

[Edit: Finally managed to "crash" Webkit this am by opening a 7th tab in regular full zoot FB . . . if I just stay in m.fb it seems to be "unbreak-able" . . . .]