XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:05 am 

este.el.paz wrote:
I don't remember which Safari is loaded with 10.4.11, but yes, it is unuseably slow . . . even now in 10.6 & 10.9 FF is the frontline browser . . . basic function works well, etc. I haven't checked the old version of FF that I have in 10.4.11 because it uses the same "profile"??? as TFF and does something that messes it up?

TFF uses any FF profiles / support files / preferences it sees on your machine; if you previously used FF then acquired TFF you would see your old FF session, bookmarks etc the first time you launched TFF. If you then launch FF it would use exactly the same set of support files that TFF last used .. so best avoid running both on the same machine!

MonkeyBoy wrote:
MacBiter wrote:
Reader
You are now aware that 39 & up include Reader.

Cool. Halfway there then... :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:32 am 

@WZZZ:

Thanks for the tip . . . not enough CLI skills to know how & when to tweak/adjust terminal commands--just how to follow instructions as provided . . . . Anyway, I'm back in SM right now. : - )

e..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:04 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Only thing left is to try to restore all the changes I made in about:config over the years, none of which I remember any more. Can find a lot of them listed in about:support.
Yeah, I feel your pain there. I had to reinstall OS X 10.5 on my G5, which had inherited my installation of 10.5 from my G4, which I had been using in some form or another since a Quicksilver was new... at some point over the intervening years I had reinstalled 10.5 a couple times but had apparently remembered more of what I did on those reinstalls. On this reinstall the system runs noticeably slower, but doesn't have the issues I had been having, so I take what I can get and count my blessings...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:41 pm 

Didn't realize the profile had become corrupted over the years. Sort of crept up on me. One of the improvements with the new profile is that I can now copy the css without issue--weird that a corrupt profile would affect that, but it did. Other things include seeing scripts on various sites in NoScript that just weren't there before. Had also started a bug that I was only getting a download icon placeholder for Apple downloads, like various combo or security updates, and couldn't do the downloads. Poor Bugzilla, it was the corrupt profile. That's the one that got me back to working on the new profile. Needed to see if it was the profile or Firefox.

Just remembered or found these changes I had made in about:config to get rid of tiles or unwanted connections with the mothership:

-browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled set to true

-pageThumbs.enabled set to false

create new entry in about:config, right click and select boolean:

-browser.newtabpage.directory.ping set to https//:devnul (or just blank it out completely)

-browser.newtabpage.directory.source set to https//:devnul

-browser.selfsupport.url set to https//:devnul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:56 am 

BDAqua wrote:
On older browsers have you tried User Agent switching?

LOL, sites that refused to display did fine if I said I was using an iPhone 3!

@BD:

I don't seem to be finding "user agent switching" . . . I do remember awhile back checking that based upon your suggestion, but it doesn't seem be there now?? Was that in Safari?? : - 0 Too "slow" even for me.

@MB, et al:

So, for all these things to check and add in the profile, there is no app that tells you, "profile is corrupt"?? Only choice is create new profile and see if that fixes any problems?

Also, vaguely of interest, I don't "log in" to my browser, so I'm not using the same "profile" across multiple machines. As I mentioned the new 38-2 TFF "crashed" my machine in the 7400 version on my Sawtooth the other day. Then in possible prep for changes at work I got the iBook out and booted up the Xu 14.04 partition, more or less up to date system, and, also there the new linux FF crashed when I tried to look at the FB feed. Error window opened, "Machine doesn't have enough RAM to report this problem that you just experienced . . . ." So compared to the Sawtooth with raging 2GB RAM, the iBook is dropping way down in the RAM food chain, to maxed 646MB??? FB page showed "thousands" of resources being loaded in Omniweb browser on the ST . . . looks like even in linux the iBook can't negotiate the demands of FB, or almost Yahoo Mail . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:19 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Different browsers have different extensions...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -switcher/

http://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-to- ... xtensions/

https://www.maketecheasier.com/change-b ... er-agents/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:44 am 

BDAqua wrote:

Ah, so it is an "extension" or "add-on" that would need to be "extended" to get the capacity??? Got it. I obviously haven't added it . . . lately.

e..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:13 am 

A profile is a very complex thing, so no, there is no way of running some tool and verifying everything in your profile is working perfectly fine. It's like if there's something seriously wrong with your user under OS X, there is no tool that'll tell you if your user is really OK, the only good way of checking is to simply create a new user and see if the problem still occurs.

There's a little box on the profile manager that you can uncheck so it'll always bring up the profile manager every time. Do this for a bit until you verify your profile is OK or not, that way you can choose old vs. new when starting TFF during the testing phase without having to resort to Terminal every time. Once you've settled on a profile that works (whether the entirely new one or a "refreshed" old one) and you've imported whatever you can into it (well, if it's the new one) then you can delete the other profile and check that box again.

As for my particular user agent string, I just modify a value under about:config... user agent string override... something like that. I had used an extension but it ended being more of a PITA to keep updating it through that, plus I wanted to always use the new user agent, and those extensions tend to be for temporary use (use for one particular website, etc.).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:06 am 

I'm trying out "User-Agent Switcher 0.1.2" . . . it shows as "new" on 8/22/15 or something like that. Seems OK, nothing too apparent; it doesn't list "iPhone3" it just shows options for "mobile" "apple" "OSX" . . . platform and OS . . . . Dev wasn't asking for contribution . . . I try to be straight about my penury . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:07 am 
Benevolent Dictator

http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/us ... string.php

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:22 am 

@BD:

Something to read on a dark and stormy day???? A rare thing in LA . . . . :shock:

e..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:39 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Are you getting any rain?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:46 am 

Well, normally we would have zero rain this time of year, but, Tuesday we surprisingly had a few rain drops . . . supposedly this will be an "El Nino" year winter coming up, which can mean torrential monsoon-like rains . . . it's the old, "when it rains, it pours" thing . . . . It would be nice to have nice soaking rains periodically, rather than the horrendous rains that wash away the mountains and people . . . .

e.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I was amazed decades ago when I went to work in LA, one weekend went to visit a "mountain" hill where hundreds of homes washed down & out... they had bulldozed the mud back up the hill & had hundreds of new houses built & selling for 5 times the price of an average house in Seattle at the time!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:33 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I was amazed decades ago when I went to work in LA, one weekend went to visit a "mountain" hill where hundreds of homes washed down & out... they had bulldozed the mud back up the hill & had hundreds of new houses built & selling for 5 times the price of an average house in Seattle at the time!

Right. Possibly those houses have been washed down and built up, repeatedly . . . . Or, burned, then washed down, then built again . . . repeat ad nauseum . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:33 pm 

Latest update:

So, even though when I found "issues" with TFF 38.2.0 the dev said, "Don't hold your breath, there isn't going to be any update on 38.2 . . ." today, after slow boating around in what was it, 32.8?? I checked TFF for updates and sure enough there was an "out of cycle security update with bug fixes" . . . 38.2.1 . . . .

Running it now, seemed to take a breeze through FB without crashing the whole computer like 38.2.0 seemed to provide for my ST . . . could have just been in the 7400 version, because I think on my iBook the 7450 has been OK.

I'm hoping for "better browsing days" with this update.

e...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 am 

Looks like I spoke too soon on the TFF upgrade in 7400. Today, I got an email through LinkedIN, went to LI and replied, when I hit "send" . . . boom . . . TFF was "gone." Relaunched and tried to check "sent" emails . . . boom . . . gone again.

Still did OK with FB, gmail, and more or less with Yahoo . . . LinkedIn seems to be a "bridge too far" . . . . I wish that Xu 12 would offer "suspend" because then I could use ToriOS all of the time.

e..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:41 pm 

este.el.paz wrote:
Looks like I spoke too soon on the TFF upgrade in 7400. Today, I got an email through LinkedIN, went to LI and replied, when I hit "send" . . . boom . . . TFF was "gone." Relaunched and tried to check "sent" emails . . . boom . . . gone again.
e..

et al:

Yep, problem continues in 10.5 and TFF . . . does give good rendering of web pages, but the problem of TFF "not responding" over and over & requiring FQ-ing, became so intrusive to "workflow" that I'm messing with Safari 5 . . . seems to be a tad "better" than whatever it was in 10.4.11. Web sites like Gmail actually log in, once I get passed the "your browser is no longer supported" error, the gmail version is "the latest" . . . whereas over in Yahoo Mail, it is the "old" style . . . and not everything seems to be making it into the picture with FB . . . . Twitter told me, my browser doesn't support the "full function" so I'm in mobi . . . . But, so far, no "crashes" . . . I think this is the "latest" edition to show up in Software Updater . . . I believe that one "installed successfully."

Still wishing there was a browser that actually worked for PPC, instead of almost working . . . . Is there a Midori for PPC? I haven't had much success with Midori over in linux, but . . . just wondering . . . ???

e...

[Edit: Whoops, spoke too soon on Safari, messing around in regular FB, not m.FB, and that seemed to overwhelm the browser and we went into "unresponsive-ness state." FQ once again . . . .]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:52 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sounds more like JavsScript version problems, but might try 10.5.8 WebKit…

https://sourceforge.net/projects/leopard-webkit/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:22 pm 

Ah, well the Javascript thingie I believe is still one of those things that is in SU, is "downloaded" but then "won't install" . . . . But, I remember when I was trying to get this Webkit thing going in 10.4.11, and it didn't exactly work . . . but, I've DL'd the Webit 600 . . . give it a try in a bit . . . . Guess I should read the instructions . . . .

Is this a "replacement" browser for Safari? Or a package enhancement of Safari 5?? I recall that it is its own browser that is "Safari-like"????

e...

[Edit: So I ran the scripts to "install" and "update certs" and "enable advanced features" . . . and then I dragged the "Webkit" icon to applications??? And I launched it . . . is that right? Or I could have just used Safari w/o dragging Webkit.app icon???]
[Edit2: Hmmm, Webkit.app seems like it might be "faster" . . . hmmmm, so far I don't think I can complain about this as a browser . . . hmmmmm, I think it might be "better" than TFF?????????? Could that be possible?]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

In my experience you need to use the WebKit icon… it does seem pretty fast.

Does it work in those problem sites?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:38 pm 

Safari is a WebKit-based browser, as is Chrome. WebKit Leopard is just a current version of WebKit instead of the ancient, unpatched, mass of security holes that Safari is in older OSes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

For some reason, clicking on the old Safari icon brings up the old Safari with the old WebKit, clicking on the WebKit icon brings up Safari but with the new Webkit!??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:25 am 

eep, would this hardware help you with your 10.4? :D
paz hermano.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:31 am 

BDAqua wrote:
For some reason, clicking on the old Safari icon brings up the old Safari with the old WebKit, clicking on the WebKit icon brings up Safari but with the new Webkit!??

I do appreciate the link to the LepWebkit download, totally forgot the conversation about it from back in 10.4 efforts to get a browser that did stuff. Haven't had too much chance to mess with it yet, but, yeah the "LepWebkit Safari" icon has a "gold" ring around it, different than the olde Safari . . . so, I guess I did the right thing by dragging the icon over to Applications, beyond running the "install.command" script????

@roam:

Right . . . well, I actually "had to" go to 10.5 to get a system running with the upgraded cpu; but even so being in Leopard, that pigeon is sort of the way it has been with TFF "crashing" multiple times . . . seemed like Yahoo and Twitter were "script heavy" or something that was overwhelming the browser and bringing the spinning beachball. I'm an advocate for the PPC side of Apple machines . . . nostalgia for when Apple was the "alternative" that technically didn't "make sense."

I'll post back with further impressions when I've had more time to push it around. From the "home" page of Webkit it seemed like there are still "daily's" to download and keep it "fresh" and "up to date"????

e...