XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 pm 

I have been fortunate in 12+ years of using my G3 (Upgraded to G4) B/W Desktop PPC computer and not have any Virus problems, but I feel that my days are numbered before My computer gets infected and I'm SOL. I inherited my daughter's old HP PAVILLION DESKTOP PC (Windows XP) because it was slow and not performing like she thought it should. I installed GLARY UTILITIES, CCLEANER, Avast Anti-Virus and a malware Utility to see if if it would improve its operating speed. It improved only slightly.

Years ago, I had Norton's Security Suite installedon my Mac, but after several years of being sucked into getting renewals/Upgrades(?), I decided not to renew and take my chances. But, I feel the clock ticking, as my computer, like me are starting to develop problems that I can not explain. Should I return to paying for a Security Suite or can I rely on Shareware Security such as Programs listed above?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:16 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I doubt the paid one's are any better than the good free ones... especially if you're talking Norton's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:24 pm 

To be honest, if it's ever been infected, the best option is to format it and install Windows fresh. Many times "removing" malware leaves damaged registry keys, configuration files, etc. behind that kind of work but kind of don't work.

That being said, the actual hardware requirements for Windows XP are at least twice if not four times as high as they were when it was new. You'll find yourself struggling to use a fully updated copy of Windows XP now if you have less than 1GB of RAM installed, and even then the hard disk can seriously drag you down if it's hasn't been replaced with a modern mechanism recently. XP will run as fast as it ever was if you never install updates to it... but Microsoft's updates tend to drag down performance, because all those nifty shortcuts they took for better performance get shut down due to the security holes they represent. But it's not as if you can connect an unpatched system, whether it's Windows, OS X, Linux, or BSD to the internet and expect to avoid getting infected.

Symantec's consumer antivirus products are complete garbage, and they've been doing their best to screw up their business products too by merging in all that lousy consumer code into the business products.

Personally I run Microsoft Security Essentials at home with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and a couple other AV programs performing scan-only duties. But I don't download software from random internet websites, I don't "trust" warez groups to not include malware in their distributions, etc. - basically I try not to do things that no AV product on the planet can protect you from.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:18 am 

Hi There,

Back in Feb. 2014, I asked about Anti Virus, and Malware Programs and had indicated that my daughter's old Windows XP desktop was acting up. I installed CCleaner, Mega Malware Bytes and a free version of a Anti Virus Program and the performance increased to a bearable state. I told the Forum that I had Norton Anti Virus installed but got sick of them "Nickel and diming" me each year so I ceased to use that program. Your response:
I doubt the paid one's are any better than the good free ones... especially if you're talking Norton's.

So I was wondering if you could recommend any freeware Programs that my G3/G4 B/W desktop that could be installed to at least attempt to get rid of any virus that may be lurking in my computer. As I said, my computer shows no effects of any virus activity at this time, just trying to improve my chances of not experiencing future lproblems in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:47 am 
Benevolent Dictator

What OSX version are they running?

Look for older versions of ClamXav.

How are things going? Ever get thatUSB Wifi working?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:19 pm 

What is it about spring and computer work? I've had a string of laptops dropped off with me in the past few weeks. :lol:

ClamXav is probably your best bet for an older Mac. There is a real-time scanner component, ClamXav Sentry, but do not under any circumstances configure it to real-time scan /, meaning the root of your HD, or even ~, meaning your user folder, just point it at the most likely problem folders (like /Applications, ~/Downloads, and whatever folder your particular mail client downloads attachments to) to lessen the stress on your system.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:29 am 

DON'T USE NORTON UTILITIES!!!

It may have been a good suite for OS9 and earlier, but it's a disaster for OS X.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:06 am 

Thanks for your input. Don't plan on using Nortons again. Have you ever heard of Avast Security Suite 2014/2015? Says it is compatible with OS X 10.4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:16 am 

Blazer88 wrote:
Thanks for your input. Don't plan on using Nortons again. Have you ever heard of Avast Security Suite 2014/2015? Says it is compatible with OS X 10.4

Avast, no way. Man-in-the-middle:
Quote:
Some testing this morning showed that Avast is replacing Google’s certificate with one of their own. On my test system, though, the Avast certificate was trusted. (I’m guessing the certificate on the affected reader’s system was outdated, and had not been properly updated for some reason.)

As can be seen from the screenshot, the certificate claims to be for Google, but was not issued by the authority that Google actually uses (GeoTrust Global). This means that Avast has complete control over the connection between the browser and Google, and has the power to intercept – or even modify – any data being transmitted.

http://www.thesafemac.com/avasts-man-in ... #more-1829

Plus, it is known to install adware, and a reputation for false positives. Stick with ClamX.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:28 pm 

Blazer88 wrote:
Have you ever heard of Avast Security Suite 2014/2015? Says it is compatible with OS X 10.4
In my opinion, and this is based on the number of systems I see that are infected, Avast is little better than not having any antivirus at all. If anything it's worse because you get a false sense of security. ClamXav isn't perfect but it's world's better than Avast. Most of the systems I work on that have infections off the charts have Avast installed.

The only system I have Avast installed on is a 300Mhz voicemail system that has an 8GB drive shared between the OS, installed programs, and all voicemails. Thankfully within a year that system will be gone. Even though nobody but me logs into that system, it still gets infected about once a year, over the network.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:02 pm 

Thank you for your response. I came across ithe AVAST Security Suite yesterday in a search and was seeking opinions because of their free version. I will do research on the ClamXav. I believe BDAqua or you stated I should look for an older version?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:07 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Oldest versions I find are for 10.4/10.5, bottom of this page…

https://www.clamxav.com/download.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:08 pm 

Well, you just have to scroll down on the downloads page:

https://www.clamxav.com/download.html

2.2.1 was the last version to support 10.4, 2.5.1 is the last for 10.5. 10.6 and newer can use current.

Even though the versions may be older, current definitions still work with it. The only problem I've noticed is that occasionally, when it auto-updates definitions, it'll open Console so it can show me a warning that my scan engine is out of date.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:55 pm 

Thanks B and Monkey. Will look at it and get back to you If I encounter any problems