XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Silly S.M.A.R.T.
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:53 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

2011 iMac, 1st SMART report... 8-10 hours latter drive is dead as a doornail. :(

Luckily backed up half of it the day before, but a few files had disappeared 2 days before the report showed up.

Post subject: Re: Silly S.M.A.R.T.
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:52 pm 

Are you saying, you got an alert to close the gate, cause there's a horse loose?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ha, Ha, yeah, you pegged it! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:49 pm 

You lost half the data? :cry:

I need to get some discipline back into my backup habits. I've been too busy to focus on managing the copies I have.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, lost 2 more external drives to the rain. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:38 pm 

Avon B7 wrote:
I need to get some discipline back into my backup habits. I've been too busy to focus on managing the copies I have.

Yeah, when I read this yesterday, I thought, about time I did another backup. Which I did straight away.
Thanks BD for the reminder.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:58 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:D

My other iMac spoiled me, has had SMART errors for many years, (from overheating by simply playing Civ5), still hasn't died.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 pm 

This morning my iMac woke up a bit slow and one ext drive didn't show on the Desktop. Seeking to mount it via Disk Utility there showed in red Macinstosh HD SMART failed. Hardware failure. So I've just been looking at a video on replacing the harddrive. Quite involved but I'll give it a crack.

I was just thinking the other day how appealing it would be to have a hackintosh for the reason of being able to upgrade components. A build your own Hack Pro. And in the case of replacing a HD would only takes a few minutes instead of major surgery.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew... yeah.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:49 pm 

What year iMac?

Is it one of the newer ones which are glued together (and the screen is permanently affixed to the glass), or the older ones whose glass is held on with magnets and only then can you think about removing the screen? I can offer pointers about dissasembly on either... while I haven't taken apart a 27" glued-together model yet it should be fairly similar and equally fraught with peril as the 21.5", just with more nail biting.

I'm sure you're doing this already, but making a bootable backup of the HD on an external is probably your safest bet for maintaining your data, although a working and up to date Time Machine backup should be able to restore an up to date copy of everything onto a new HD, though you'll probably want to create USB installation media first (otherwise recovery mode will default to internet recovery which takes forrrrrevvvvvverrrrr to download).

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:36 pm 

Thanks for the reply MB. It is an early 08 iMac, the one with the magnets.
I was looking at an instructional video for replacing the HD for that model on the macsales.com website. Lots of snags to be mindful of.
https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideo ... 0_0708_hd/

My plan is to have the same instructional video up on my Asus PC that runs Windows which I've done, and have that running while I open up the patient. I am backed up on an external and now just waiting on the part, plus I ordered the torc tools as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:46 am 

FWIW- I was changing the HD out to an SSD on a 2010 iMac a while back and the LCD panel fell forward onto my leg (it was on the floor). Besides a nice bruise the connector broke. So take care!

You could always get a external FW enclosure and put a drive in there and boot from there. No bruises. Probably.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:28 pm 

I find the magnet models a lot easier to work on.

I kind of like the instructions on iFixit, they're normally pretty clear step-by-step instructions with screws and their locations labeled. The 27" models need hefty suction cups to get the glass off due to the sheer number of magnets holding it on, but I've done the smaller models with small suction cups pilfered from iphone repair kits. I normally try to lay the magnet iMacs back side down on a smaller table that I can walk around and access it from any direction. Be careful of the magnets, they will try to grab any screw that comes anywhere close to them. The 27" screens are annoying to install for this reason, one or two of the screws has to be maneuvered into position with a magnet in close proximity. Removal is relatively easy and the magnets just require prying screws away from them before removing the LCD.

The biggest problem with the magnet iMacs is dust. You will need to dust the hell out of the LCD and the interior of the glass before and sometimes during re-assembly because every spec of dust will be visible after you're finished. I think this is why they started epoxying the LCD and glass together in the newer generation(s?). This is usually kind of annoying in the smaller iMacs but its a goddamn nightmare on the 27s. Depends on how much dust you're willing to live with... I'm usually putting these together for others so I try to make it perfect or damn near.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:31 pm 

azrich - thanks I'll take care with that. Currently I'm running from an external drive but its only USB 2.0 so it is not fast, but it is doing the job.

MB - thanks for the iFixit link, they look really good. I'll try and save that page in total and copy it to an old iBook and have that with me. As far as dust goes, once something is open I'll dust it to within an inch of its life. The chance to do it doesn't come around often.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am 

My 27inch late 2009 only boots into Safe Mode due to a failed graphics card. I can get one new from Canada but they are still too expensive, so I'll wait for prices to come down before ordering. Not available anywhere in Spain.

I bought the suctions cups though, ready to pull it apart as I was on the point of trying to bake the card but just didn't have time in the end.

Good luck with the process!