XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:23 am 
Benevolent Dictator

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-duckduckgo.html

Anybody see any of that?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:45 pm 

My wife had it defaulted in Safari on her MBP. I got fed up with poor search results and slowness so I switched her back onto Google. I hadn't seen that page.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:39 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Same here, wasn't satisfied with results & switched back to google. Never heard of this problem though until I stumbled on it.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:26 pm 

That page reads as if it were translated to English from something else. Just kind of awkward.

I use DDG as a default, never had any issues with it on Safari or my iOS devices. The results seem good to me so far.

That doesn't stop sites from haunting me. I do get tracked somehow after going to the sites, I find ads popping up for things I already bought or decided not to buy.

Almost useful, those ads.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'm wondering if it's some redirect in DDG guise, & not the built in search engine... Oh, & I think the people paying for Ads are getting ripped off, & of course that's passed on to us. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:26 pm 

I use it, but it is not as good as Google. DDG always presumes I'm in the U.S. but after specifying Australia it gives better results.
I think tracking is so pervasive on numerous levels, by all and sundry, that trying to limit it is pretty much a lost cause.
Using adblockers is effective if you want to remove ads.

Reading that article I get no reason to uninstall it. It seems a confused nonsense. Maybe the webpage is just pushing their product Reimage, whatever that is.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:03 pm 
Master

That article was completely incoherent and 3/4 of it were meaningless filler that would embarrass an eighth grader. It was written like SEO spam (and I'm tentatively guessing that's what it is, in the absence of an authoritative source written by an author who has taken an least one basic English composition class). After reading it, I had no idea what the point was nor what I was supposed to be concerned about, let alone where I was supposed to be concerned, what device(s) it was supposedly a problem on, whether the site was doing something nefarious (or not) versus some app or something, whether it was a genuine problem at all, or anything else for that matter. As such, my brain is carrying on as if the "article" doesn't exist.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:30 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, after reviewing the article again, it does seem silly.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:03 am 

That's why I was thinking it was translated to English, it reads weird. I guess that could be SEO stuff, that's a foreign language, so it counts.

As a side note- I wonder if the tracking part of what I'm seeing isn't so much from DDG, but from me going to the pages in the results.

I'm seeing espresso parts in ads on my local newspaper site for example. Parts that I recently researched and bought. I disable ad-blocking on the local paper's website as it's free online, just as I do for the bookmarked sites I visit often and trust.

So DDG might not track me but once I click on a link in the results that doesn't apply anymore. I feel there just be some legitimacy to DDG simply because Apple gives it as an option.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:12 am 

I used DDG for a while but had problems with its search results... namely what I was after was always buried two or three pages into the search results, and the earlier results contained limited information that didn't help me. When I used Google the result I was after was near the top.

I block ads, don't use social media, and clear most of my browsing history (including cookies) every time I close the browser... couple this with CCleaner coming in and sweeping anything that remains out whenever I feel like running it, there's precious little for websites to track longer than a session.

I doubt DDG does anything nefarious with the data you give them, its kind of their reason to exist, doing so would drive away their customer base. If I could figure out how to get useful search results out of it I would use it.