XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah… good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/news/61874-usb- ... -more.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:38 pm 

SS. Where have I heard that before.

The Russians who claim everyone who lives in the west is a Nazi (in fairness it's not all Russians, but there are a vocal number of them who do) are going to have a field day with this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm 
Master

That sounds great, but too many logos on each cable will be confusing. What they need to do is make a new single logo for all different combinations of features in each cable.

- Anonymous

THIS COMMENT ENDORSED BY THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF LOGO AND SLOGAN DESIGNERS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:34 pm 

I think they should randomly slap on a few sponsorship logos too, give cables that good high tech NASCAR feel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:34 am 

Additionally and perhaps more informatively, software alerts could appear when something is plugged in, detailing the type and functionality of the particular USB Type-C attaching cable. If someone has knowledge of the logos, they would also understand the same when written as text.

Equally, I like when Calibre, the e-reader application notifies me an 'Amazon kindle has been connected'. That is to say, device focused rather than the technical means of achieving it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:51 pm 

And on top of the complexity in cable types, you can effectively brick a MBP or MacBook by attaching a 'low cost' 'iffy' cable. Some people have been able to bring them back to life by disconnecting the battery but what with all the glue around batteries nowadays, that will become difficult to do as we 'progress' onto Mr Ive's dream of a wafer thin laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:55 pm 

Actually you could do the same with USB-A ports on MBPs too. Some of the models before 2009 would fry the USB chipset that controls the side ports, knocking out all USB devices attached to it, but the newer ones will basically panic power off and stay powered off until power cycled rather than destroy components.

I actually like that feature, although depressingly people will still plug in their old ragged ass cable rather than go buy a new one because "my phone was about to die!" So what. Then go out and buy a new cable. I bought a three pack of MicroUSB cables on Amazon for $10. If you'd have ordered it on Wednesday when I gave the laptop back to you, you could have had it by Saturday, the day you plugged that cable back in.

Of course the glue introduces a fun wrinkle. I wonder how much the Apple Store charges to do the repair work. Gotta get those profit centers humming.