XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 am 

Hello all-

I'm currently using a Xerox Phaser 8560N to print the labels for my coffee bags. OS X Sierra doesn't have updated drivers and I fear the printer won't be usable in the near future.

What happens now when I print is the app I'm printing from unexpectedly quits each time, oddly enough the doc seems to get printed! To make things worse, I'm using PSCS3 to do this.

Currently I'm exploring Graphic.app and others to layout the labels which are 6 or 8 to a 8.5x11 sheet.

My real concern is the printer. I believe I can use the 'generic' driver if in a pinch. Since the nature of solid ink is some waste when it powers up I only use it 2-3 times a year and when I do power it up I print a LOT of labels.

Has anyone here used a non-inkjet color printer on label stock with OS X Sierra they would recommend? I really like the solid ink tech as it's cheap ink and there aren't cartridges I have to deal with afterwards. It's also been much better then the laser color printer for not getting smudges and such showing up on the prints. Some roller in my laser printer must have toner on it as I get a pattern on my printouts. Solid ink blacks stick better to the label stock vs the laser. The laser I have is a 6180 which is old, so maybe the new color laser printers are better at not doing this.

One printer to do everything would be great- print water resistant labels as well as occasional b&w receipts or whatever with a quick warm-up and no waste. The labels are my real concern, and I REALLY like the solid ink for that.

Are new solid ink printers better at NOT wasting each time they turn on and warm up? Anyone use another brand besides Xerox?

I did a search for reviews on solid ink printers but didn't find anything super useful. I've found a source for cheap & consistent 'ink' for my 8560, and it's more-or-less working for now so there's no rush to replace it I'm simply trying to find out what's out there being used and maybe what is on the horizon tech wise.

So I came here for help.

Thanks for any insight,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:55 am 

hmm if your computer can run sierra, it can run a Windows VM. You'd only have to spin up the VM when needed. You could use free software like virtual box to do the VMs. I bet Windows driver support would be better. A windows 7 or 10 license is probably cheaper than a new printer (?) You could also do boot camp if you have enough space.

i used to support 8560N's and i really liked the print quality compared to ink.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:07 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Some roller in my laser printer must have toner on it as I get a pattern on my printouts.

No Sierra here, but many Lasers are too hot for certain media & will melt glue, media itself or whatnot.

My hp, Lexmark, & a couple others were way hot, my OKIs could do some media fine, but only my Brothers could do Transparencies, Flex, )Plastic paper), & clear labels without getting gummed up.

Supposed 10 best of 2017…

http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/ ... -printers/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:33 pm 

Yeah MC, I like the 8560 too. I'll keep that Windows in a VM option as plan b or so. Thank you for the idea. I'll try the 'generic' profile too if it's still available.

BD- thank you for the link, guess which printer got the gold award in #1 spot? Xerox ColorQube 8570. Looks like that's the next gen of the printer I have and there's already a 8580 out. I'm skeptical that the 'ink' I have will fit in the new ones, but chances are I'll run through that before my current printer isn't useful anymore.
Weird that they call it a laser printer. That page is from 10/31/16, that's pretty recent.

There's a Brother HL-L8350CDW that looks interesting too. The price for that one is reasonable, and it has better reviews on Amazon. What I need to do is find one locally and make sure it prints on the label stock I use! I see there are LED printers now, so I should check out what that means.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:23 pm 

Each model Phaser uses ink that's a different puzzle piece shape, so you can't use ink for one model with another model. 8550, 8560, and 8570 all use different shapes. Don't know about 8580.

With a postscript printer you only need to use the model specific driver if you're using a function not supported by the generic driver. On the Phasers this typically is just duplex printing, but other printers have duplex, automatic color matching, etc.

I know an entire site of people who didn't realize they had to install printer drivers who used the generic driver with a Phaser for years without major incident, aside from not being able to print duplex. It was the printer's fault, see, that's why they needed a new printer... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:26 pm 

I figured as much MB, thank you for the head's up. I found a Xerox doc that shows the diff between the printer I have and the 8570, each block is rated for many more pages for the 70 so that makes sense.

I will look into the generic driver next time I print. I'm printing on labels and do adjust colors in the Xerox drivers so I guess I'll have to figure that out too.

Crazy those people didn't know about the drivers and duplex printing, someone PAID for that feature. I thought OS X would figure out you needed drivers too, it's been so long I forget how that works.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 pm 
Master

We use the color laser Xerox 6010, which when it's in good form produce absolutely stunningly good quality. The retail tea labels we print on it are, however, printed on normal paper because (aside from cutting the cost of labels by 80%) it can also be really finicky transferring and fusing on anything other than ordinary weight paper. We use 3rd party toner (LD brand seems so far the most consistent and reliable, albeit more expensive than other choices), but we've never found an adequate substitute for genuine Xerox black toner. Anything else doesn't fuse properly, leave ghost images, and is generally a mess. Even with Xerox black we usually get ghosting ugliness on any thicker stock. Also, the fuser and imaging drum aren't replaceable, which is actually OK since the printers are only $200 each.

We spend quite a while looking for an adequate color laser printer. The solid ink printers didn't produce high enough quality output and my past experience with them is that their prone to mechanical failure: various plastic parts inside them just break. Most of the non-Xerox lasers weren't up to snuff in quality, or had absurdly expensive toner without third-party alternatives. We ended up choosing between the Brother HL-3xxx (don't remember the exact model) and the Phaser 6010, but there was absolutely no competition in terms of print quality on plain paper. The Phaser 6010 output was as good as that from really high end graphic artist proofing quality 11x17 color lasers, albeit without Postscript (which has been a problem).

If money were no object I'd buy one of the really high end Xerox Phaser color laser printers. If money were an object, I'd buy another Phaser 6010 and live with its foibles, although the 6010 (or whatever has replaced it by now) clearly isn't an option for you since you need to print on thicker media.

If you're as concerned about print quality as we were, you can have Xerox send you a packet of sample prints from across their lines. I also spent a couple hours in Office Depot running test prints on their printers, which was perfectly fine with the Office Depot sales dudes.

So to answer you're question, no, I can't recommend anything.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:14 am 

Ha! That's informative Anon, thank you.

I have used my Xerox 6180 in the past to print labels. Same kind of problems you had, I even took the printer in and had a tech look at it as I thought maybe the altitude here matters somehow. I did have adequate results when I found the 'Label' setting in the print options. That gets things hotter when fusing I guess. Still, I bought some 3rd party toner and now the magenta is ghosty and there are cyan tracks on the edges. I don't have time / energy to mess with this stuff when I need to print. The blacks around the edges didn't stick and would rub off...

Looking at Xerox's page now I see they have a Phaser 6022 that might be the newest incarnation of the 6010 you use.

The labels I print on are OL6800 or OL600 from Onlinelabels.com and they turn out to be pretty affordable. The 6800 are 6 to a page, 600 are 8 to a page. Sine the Fair Trade, Organic coffees have icons at the bottom they take up more room. I buy enough special order 6800 to keep the cost of each label at less than 4¢ each before I print on them. I'm sure your method is less expensive than that but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

The solid ink I've been getting via eBay has been okay, I did need to adjust colors. I did notice large black areas can have some drop outs. I've adapted my workflow to this printer's peculiarities. Lining up print on the labels is always fun.

I had a thought that I could print labels without any blend info and then print the blend info with a laser printer. Solid ink printout in a hot laser printer = do not do this.

When it comes time for a new printer I'll certainly bring my label stock with me to see how well the print sticks or doesn't.

I'm avoiding dedicated label printers as they look to be a very pricy way to do business. I'm guessing you (Anon) reached the same conclusion since you don't use one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:39 pm 
Master

That's also interesting. I'll have to look at Onlinelabels.com to see if there are better label options for us, but in the past the labels we'd need were hard to find since they're a funny size that wraps about 104% of the way around the tin, and only one fits per page. We also use a smaller 1.5 oz tin (dry weight when filled with most teas) that fits two labels on a page, but we never got around to looking for self-adhesive version of that label that I recall. We'd considered buying a mechanical label applicator, but with the added cost of the labels and the fact that it was expensive, we could never get a working demo, and the time savings were unknown, that went on the back burner. So for now all tins are hand labeled. That's actually less time consuming than filling them (something we also need to automate).

For the bags, as opposed to tins, we use a black and white BPA-free thermal labels printed from a dedicated desktop Dymo label printer. They look fantastic, and they're dead simple, but of course they're only black and white. Since they don't need to be applied very accurately they're really easy to deal with.

With the Phaser 6010 we conservatively estimate we'll buy one new printer ever eighteen months to keep the labels in tip top shape. I'd love to buy a high end printer, but if we had that much money we'd just pay for commercially offset printed labels, maybe with a little dab of embossed foil on the fancier blends or something. One can dream.

There's also a rumor of a Windows-only USB technician's software package that lets you tweak the imaging parameters of the 6010, perhaps including charge roller bias and fusing temperature. At least I've seen hints that there might be some tweaks. If I could reliably clear the imaging drum and had slightly more aggressive fusing most of my complaints (aside from the lack of PostScript) would be resolved.

Recently it's also had trouble picking up some light card stock, but I think I just need to wipe down the pickup roller.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 pm 

You could get an external harddrive and run an older version of mac OSX that supported your printer. You would need a mac that supported the older version of mac OS. Could be a bit of a panic if something were to go wrong. I run older versions of macOS in parallels. Your mac doesn't need to support the version of macOS you run in the VM. I have not tried printing.

R

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:33 am 

Anon- I have also looked at Sheetlabels.com, they send me 10% off emails all the time. Getting labels to print centered is always a challenge but they work very well. Small amounts of tea with small labels shouldn't be too expensive if you're getting 10-24 labels a page.

Then again, if the thermal labels are working for you there's no reason to change. For me the solid ink printer works well and isn't too expensive. I've had it for a while and the HARDWARE works fine still!

rc- hmm, that's an idea too. That will be my plan b or c or so. I probably should have been using parallels to play my favorite UT mod all these years. Thank you for that suggestion too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:05 pm 

The phasers are tanks, the only problem comes when they're not properly shut down when they're not going to be used for more than a couple days. The office I mentioned earlier refused to shut it down on weekends or before the place shut down for class breaks. I actually coaxed it back to life but they were pissy about the print quality in one particular section (which, if you looked for it, was noticeable - but it was pretty minor) so we swapped it out for a printer from another building which was maintained properly. That building went on to use it until the printer was flat-out retired in favor of a color copier which could self-calibrate its colors (print color sheet then scan color sheet).

The ink jets will clog up because the wax congeals in them if its left sitting there hot and waiting to print for weeks. There's actually a self diagnostic page you can make the 8xx0 print which will let you see exactly which jet is doing what and use that to lock out the bad jets. Helps tons for print quality issues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 pm 

Just throwing this in here in case anyone ends up with a thermal printer.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 09708.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 pm 

Avon B7 wrote:
Just throwing this in here in case anyone ends up with a thermal printer.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 09708.html

Huh, that's good to know.