XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Zen or 7700K
Poll ended at Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:14 am
(Gesundheit)-Zen 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Current no Tick-Tock model 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 am 

Which one will be the best processor choice for light work, surfing and gaming? I still have 8350 going 4.3 GHz and am waiting for AMD to sell me a thing. A cheap 'almost as fast' single threaded processor would be nice. If the AM4 motherboards are as expensive as the alternative and Zen is expensive, I might have to go Intel. Fellow crystal balls needed :badteeth:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'll vote as soon as I figure it out, but how about an Asbestos Wallet in the meantime?

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_love_asbest ... 1934687556

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:12 pm 

an i7 could be overkill-- a i5 6500 is probably sufficient

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Skylake-De ... eywords=i5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:29 am 

Yeah, but new a motherboard and 16 GB of memory cost more than the processor and with Intel they last only one 'generation'/year anyhow. Also forgot to mention that new toy value. And my current 8 cores warm nicely now that it is cool season here, hell this morning it was 68 degrees F. Almost waited for snow to fall :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:37 am 

Hi BDA, asbestos is still used here, but industry says 'modern asbestos fibers are longer and hence not harmful' or some similar crap. Our kitchen inner roof is made of asbestos, won't be drilling holes to that thing. Although it usually takes over 20 years to die from that. Hm, asbestos wallet would probably slow down extra spending, since opening it would shorten the life each time, really a practical idea!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:25 am 

Unless you intend to do massive OCing and constant Handbrake or such, Intel is your best bet. And it's a must if you ever intend to go the Hackintosh route to gain real power with OS X that you just can't get with a "real" Mac. The good news is, you'll get speed with the Intel setup, especially with the mobos that use M.2/NVMe drives. Those'll eat anything Apple has to offer, even the trashcan pro's PCIe based flash drives.

Pair an Intel 100/200 series with a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU and an nVidia 1080 and nothing will be able to touch it short of an LN2 cooled system if speaking of the AMD side (AMD has more cores, Intel has far far better bang for your MHz buck).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:07 am 

Thanks Squishy Tia, that is what I fear. Just ordered an ASROCK Z270 Taichi, limited availability and it looked like a good choice, not much actual data though. OS X will be an afterthought, as I have been using AMD the last years. If Zen runs at 5GHz next month, I can always blame the 'internet' guy :welcome: :p_dog: :mrgreen:

Now I have to get rid of my new wallet...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 pm 

Its hard to say how a future release chipset + CPU combination is going to stack up. It will probably be somewhere near where AMD has always competed with Intel, which is middle of their lineup and lower. I can't say I blame them for ceding the $1000+ CPU wing. If you don't care about Hackintosh then you certainly aren't constrained by those limitations. It could be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:53 pm 

miero wrote:
Thanks Squishy Tia, that is what I fear. Just ordered an ASROCK Z270 Taichi, limited availability and it looked like a good choice, not much actual data though. OS X will be an afterthought, as I have been using AMD the last years. If Zen runs at 5GHz next month, I can always blame the 'internet' guy :welcome: :p_dog: :mrgreen:

Now I have to get rid of my new wallet...

Generally speaking, if you intend to do OS X, Gigabyte is your best bet. They have the cleanest setup, can run without a DSDT (though a DSDT allows for fully mapped USB ports and permanently working audio that survives OS updates, not to mention proper power management).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:16 pm 

Gigabyte makes some fine AMD motherboards as well.

Ever since ASRock split from ASUS I've not been a fan of their boards. Right around that time is when they started getting dicey.

I would really recommend waiting for AM4 & Zen to ship then seeing what Intel does in response. You could save some cash.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:01 pm 
Master

Don't smoke and don't use amphibole-family asbestos minerals. You're a lot more likely to be OK if you stick to chrysotile asbestos and stay away from tobacco. Chrysotile has nice long soft bendy fibers because they're really phyllosilicates rolled up in tubes by Van der Waals forces related to OH groups in the crystal structure. The amphibole species are just brutal microscopic spikes. Of course if you don't smoke you have less opportunity for ignition and less need for asbestos to start with, never mind the other health effects of combining the two.

I have no idea what processor to get, but certainly wouldn't pay more for more cores because little that I wait for can be done in parallel. Apparently everyone is different from me in this respect.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:40 am 

As a side note my setup contains the home theatre receiver which Thor killed, so nothing related to HDMI works in that device, only S/PDIF or Coaxial. Hence I'm looking for a motherboard with Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect for gaming, I do not want to buy a separate card for that (I recall updating sound card drivers in Windows took several hours some six years ago). Gigabyte does not mention supporting these multichannel sound hacks, so it is not a choice for me.

I have now a 1070 as a video card and it seems to be enough for me in with this 4K TV, I'll pass the next generation / whatever comes up this year. I don't need to be competitive or anything like that, games like Subnautica are enough for me. The video card is an enormous brick, except that it works too. Takes 3 PCI slots :bonk: but I can't hear it at all :welcome: There was no competition last summer against this one in local markets, 1080 would have cost twice as much.

http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2629&lang=en

http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?i ... 41J&tab=ga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm 

please post build pics!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:09 pm 

My Z97 Pro includes SPDIF 5.1 channel out. One of these days I may even unbox the 5.1 speaker set that's been waiting for me to use it for... 10 years... my old 790FX system included 5.1 SPDIF too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:24 am 

Motherboard arrived today, but other junk won't be here for this weekend. Will try to remember take pics next week.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:22 am 

miero wrote:
As a side note my setup contains the home theatre receiver which Thor killed, so nothing related to HDMI works in that device, only S/PDIF or Coaxial. Hence I'm looking for a motherboard with Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect for gaming, I do not want to buy a separate card for that (I recall updating sound card drivers in Windows took several hours some six years ago). Gigabyte does not mention supporting these multichannel sound hacks, so it is not a choice for me.

I have now a 1070 as a video card and it seems to be enough for me in with this 4K TV, I'll pass the next generation / whatever comes up this year. I don't need to be competitive or anything like that, games like Subnautica are enough for me. The video card is an enormous brick, except that it works too. Takes 3 PCI slots :bonk: but I can't hear it at all :welcome: There was no competition last summer against this one in local markets, 1080 would have cost twice as much.

http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2629&lang=en

http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?i ... 41J&tab=ga

I'd kill for their 1080 Super Jet Stream GPU. Would be awesome when I'm watching DVDs/Blu-Rays.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:31 pm 

Miero, sorry to hijack your thread :D

I have a student going to Thailand in August for a few weeks. He will be moving around a little bit with his wife and daughter. He will visit Chiang Mai which is a bit further north I believe.

Have you had a chance to visit other places in the country? Anywhere you would recommend to visit towards the north?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:44 am 

Hi Avon B7,

sorry but I have just flown from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and spent there 8 days once, that is all I know about northern Thailand. There is lot to see, but one should be wary of the worst tourist trap places like villages with the long neck people. Chiang Mai place seems to contain much local culture (Lan Na), arts and nice places and ruins to visit, just avoid the tourist stuff. I had to work in front of my laptop during those 8 days, was waiting for a new passport and didn't actually have a vacation except after working hours. Did notice some local girls that at the first look were in the uncanny valley (reaally long and thin aliens), but when seen closer they were mind mapped to the drool region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lan_Na

August is in the middle of the rainy season, I was there at the same month. There can be rains or really dense fog almost daily, but a lot of sunshine too. Temperatures should be quite nice and tolerable in that time of year too over there, warm but not too hot. I liked that place and many foreigner have chosen to live there, as the climate is more temperate, place is big enough to have all kind of offers and people are still nice to everyone, even to tourists. Well people are really nice in countryside Thailand, but I have heard many people (western folks living there) complaining that locals in the most popular tourist sites are not as kind as they used to be. Oh and if Your student want to cool of by swimming, better get a hotel with a decent pool.

I did not have time to visit anything outside the Chiang Mai city, but there are a lot of temples, nature safaris and so on. I would suggest getting a guide and going around the city and the surrounding regions and mountains. Renting a scooter would be the best option for me, but driving in Thailand is one of the most dangerous ways to spend time in the world, and there is a lot of traffic in the city area. Not a good place to learn how to drive in east. One can get familiar with the city region and it's ancient moats by walking too, there are lot of people around during the daytime. After the sun has set single males walking around will get offers for additional services, but that business is limited to one market and several clubs, easily avoidable if necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:52 am 

Got the parts last weekend and put everything together, seem like a nice and quiet setup. For some reason Linux refused to work after this AMD to Intel upgrade, but Win 10 worked just fine (Except the old Asus motherboard software that did not want to uninstall). After a reinstall of latest Ubuntu and murdering Asus crap from Win 10 registry everything seems to work nice. This Noctua NH-D15S Dual Tower CPU Air Cooler leaves a lot of space to the memory heat spreaders, I could grill a sausage between there if necessary. You can see the fin profile from the lower left side of the cooler in the second picture, the sink assembly is symmetrical. Note the high tech anti vibration hard disk mounting system. SSDs are mounted behind the old style drives, silly to have 6 SATA devices in one setup, will upgrade to larger M.2 disks later, only thing missing is money. Now lets just hope AMD does a comeback, but is not too sovereign, since I already spent my money to this old Intel processor.

Attachments:
c.jpeg [405.47 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: b
b.jpeg [698.92 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: a
a.jpeg [632.24 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:29 am 

The interesting thing about your AMD to Intel problems is that on Windows I have trouble going from Intel to AMD. Intel's CPU driver component crashes if it detects its running on an AMD CPU, while AMD's driver will work long enough for the Intel driver to get installed. This is with running sysprep to generalize the system, apparently that part of the HAL doesn't get generalized. Yeah, no anti-competitive behavior here. :badteeth:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:17 pm 

Thanks miero,

He is aware it's the rainy season but has no option but to take his holiday in August :(

Nice to know the people are still friendly. I'll tell him to look into getting a guide. He's planning it all himself and has plenty of time to find one. I know he's going to a few temples and will visit an elephant sanctuary where they aren't used for riding. He'll be in Bangkok for a few days, the north and onto a couple of islands. A bit of a mix. Sounds like he should have a nice time even with the rain. Thanks for the info! I'll pass it on.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:30 am 

Hi Avon B7, just want to add that it would pay to be careful selecting a guide, as at least in other tourist places in Thailand there are lot of people trying to get income by introducing the customers to all kind of business, as usually. I have seen some crazy profit fishing scenarios in Bangkok, so if Your friend starts to find himself in tailors etc. it would be a good time to smile and thank the guide for the services. Same applies to taxi drivers, just switch taxi then in a place were there are other transportations close by and pay the $1 or in the meter to stop being milked in Bangkok. But of course if Your friend finds a guide that speaks English well and explains what he wants from the vacation, there should be no problems. His general travel plan sounds good to me, a bit tight schedule with a lot of travelling, but I guess that is just fine for younger people. The islands in Thailand are pretty, visibility underwater is better in the Andaman sea side but it is not bad in the Gulf of Thailand either, except next to Bangkok and Pattaya region. Net seems to contain a lot of data about these islands. Phuket is a nice island/peninsula in the south region, but they have the taxi/tuk tuk mafia and hencehave these crazy transportation problems, taxis want 3x the amount of money compared to any other part of the country. All the smaller islands I have been seem to be more expensive than the main land, but again this is not unexpected as they are for tourists and I avoid tourist places in main land. Since he is travelling off season, everything should be like 30-50% cheaper and there should be a lot of vacancies almost everywhere, and one should be able to bargain with most things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The interesting thing about your AMD to Intel problems is that on Windows I have trouble going from Intel to AMD. Intel's CPU driver component crashes if it detects its running on an AMD CPU, while AMD's driver will work long enough for the Intel driver to get installed. This is with running sysprep to generalize the system, apparently that part of the HAL doesn't get generalized. Yeah, no anti-competitive behavior here. :badteeth:

Remember the days of not being able to use an AMD GPU on an nVidia nForce motherboard? Oh that was fun...

In fact I'm working on just such a system now for a neighbor. Going to install an 850 EVO SSD and migrate her OS to it so her HD can become her backup drive (her external is actually full!). Ten year old HP vased on an nForce 430 motherboard. Thank god it has SATA ports, even if they're SATA1. But since the SSD is only $93 for 250 GB it was the best cost/benefit ratio for her for the near term.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 am 

I'm still amazed you can't use an AMD GPU and an NVidia GPU in the same system.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 pm 

Thanks miero,

I just passed on the info. Much appreciated. He has asked my if it's a good idea to use tuc tuc and the overhead railway in Bangkok, if you recommend any special action for health (mainly related to insects etc) and if they should try street food or stick to restaurants.

I used to love a Thai salad that was called Yam Pomelo here (a hollowed out grapefruit with the contents mixed with sweet and sour spices) but they took it off the menu :cry: apparently because the EU banned the import of that particular kind of Thai grapefruit :cry: :cry: