XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:31 pm 

I have an external FireWire enclosure with an oxford bridge chipset from 2007. I tried to move an external SATA 4G Hitachi drive into it and it would not show up in 10.9. It has been a while since I messed with this and I'm wondering if it has to be initialized in the enclosure for it to work?

Thanks.

The external drive has been in an eSATA enclosure and is used for backup.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:34 pm 

Many chipsets need to be updated to work with drives over 2TB in size.

Most of the time cases run over eSATA aren't affected because most bridges implement eSATA basically in a passthrough mode, however anything that actually has to bridge from one medium (SATA) to another (Firewire) needs logic to address the drive installed in the case.

If the vendor who made the case is still around and is reputable, they may have an update available. In my experience most of the updates originally intended to support 3TB disks add support for 4TB disks as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:46 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Many chipsets need to be updated to work with drives over 2TB in size.

Most of the time cases run over eSATA aren't affected because most bridges implement eSATA basically in a passthrough mode, however anything that actually has to bridge from one medium (SATA) to another (Firewire) needs logic to address the drive installed in the case.

If the vendor who made the case is still around and is reputable, they may have an update available. In my experience most of the updates originally intended to support 3TB disks add support for 4TB disks as well.

Thank you so much. I will look into this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:04 am 

I seem to have the Oxford OXUF924DSA/B. The maker seems kaput. Did Broadwell buy them?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:40 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Looks like PLX did, whoever they are!?

http://www.design-reuse.com/news/19801/plx-oxford.html

PDF on that chipset...

http://tinyurl.com/zkl5een

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:47 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Looks like PLX did, whoever they are!?

http://www.design-reuse.com/news/19801/plx-oxford.html

PDF on that chipset...

http://tinyurl.com/zkl5een

Thanks BD. Now plc seems to be this: http://www.avagotech.com The search continues.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:01 pm 

Do you think it would show up in an external USB enclosure ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:03 pm 

If that enclosure supports 4TB disks, sure. I have some 4TB disks inside some USB 3.0 enclosures at work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:33 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If that enclosure supports 4TB disks, sure. I have some 4TB disks inside some USB 3.0 enclosures at work.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:33 pm 

Hm. I think you may have misunderstood my original suggestion. The firmware is typically provided by the company that made your case, not the chipset vendor whose chipset is inside the case.

So while an Oxford chipset is inside your case, you would get the firmware from the company that made the case, not Oxford directly (even before the PLX acquisition Oxford only provided firmware to OEMs - case manufacturers, etc. - not end users like you and I). This is because the firmware is normally customized by the OEM for their particular design(s).

Just by way of example, those USB 3.0 cases I mentioned had to be updated to support 3TB & 4TB drives. I got that firmware from Orico, who made the case. Updating the case was rather annoying since I had to use Windows XP to do it, but that's a whole other story.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Hm. I think you may have misunderstood my original suggestion. The firmware is typically provided by the company that made your case, not the chipset vendor whose chipset is inside the case.

So while an Oxford chipset is inside your case, you would get the firmware from the company that made the case, not Oxford directly (even before the PLX acquisition Oxford only provided firmware to OEMs - case manufacturers, etc. - not end users like you and I). This is because the firmware is normally customized by the OEM for their particular design(s).

Just by way of example, those USB 3.0 cases I mentioned had to be updated to support 3TB & 4TB drives. I got that firmware from Orico, who made the case. Updating the case was rather annoying since I had to use Windows XP to do it, but that's a whole other story.

Oh, yes I did. Thanks for the update. I have contacted the vendor that still seems to be there; at least they have a website.
http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/

I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 am 

No problem. Hopefully it's the same cooldrives and not just someone who took over the domain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:16 am 

Sadly this is one reason I don't get enclosures from anyone except trusted names that have been solidified over the years. The off-brands just seem to constantly come and go and support dies with them going most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:03 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
No problem. Hopefully it's the same cooldrives and not just someone who took over the domain.

FYI, these are not your father's cooldrives!