XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:46 am 

db5owat wrote:
FF 43 just installed....
Earlier in this post there was discussion related to returning the older search field function. IIRC it involved changing "browser.search.ShowOneOffButtons" in about"config to false. That no longer seems to have the desired effect. I hate the new search field behavior. I'm just about ready to move to Chrome. Any way to return my old search? (BTW, Classic theme restorer failed to install).

You should be able to install CTR. What happens when you try? The latest version has a checkbox to restore the pre-43 search UI. Works for me. (Screenshot shows CTR as beta, but latest, 1.4.4, is final release.)

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 8.44.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 8.44.03 AM.png [ 306.55 KiB | Viewed 2547 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:42 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
You should be able to install CTR. What happens when you try? The latest version has a checkbox to restore the pre-43 search UI. Works for me. (Screenshot shows CTR as beta, but latest, 1.4.4, is final release.)

Thanks WZZZ. It is now installed and I'm back to familiar searching field. I'm not sure why it didn't install. I tried it several times from within Tools/Add-ons to no avail. This time I went to the website and initiated it from there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:14 pm 

I pretty much use Firefox by default but use Chrome for various Google-oriented administrative things, and very, very, very rarely fall back to IE for horrible sites and devices that were written so poorly they don't work with anything else. When I'm on OS X I relegate Safari to IE duties.

As a general rule after I find out the site only works with IE (or Safari) I never go back there again. For example, AMC sucked up the rights to a web-based version of Colossal Cave Adventure, except after they got ahold of it for some reason now it only runs in IE. I've noted that, found a version of Zork that runs over the web in Firefox, and started wandering around in Zork instead. Logjam found, Logjam noted, routed around Logjam. It's the internet way.

An update was released for Flash, BTW. It's up to version 20.0.0.235. Joy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:25 pm 

Firefox 43.0.1 is out. Haven't seen any useful release notes for it yet. Some Microsoft-related bug was fixed, but not sure if that's the only fix. This appears to be the list of bugs fixed in 43.0 but I haven't been able to get anything similar for 43.0.1 (changing various queries to 43.0.1 seems to kick back the same list if not the entire list).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:12 pm 

Now it's showing--not bothering with it.

Quote:
Fixed

Prepare to use SHA-256 signing certificate for Windows builds, to meet new Microsoft signing requirement (1079858)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:33 am 

We're baaack! Trip was fine. newtous MBP worked like a dream!

Just went to update FF and then Flash.
I have been using the site given here as a good way to download Flash in the old familiar package format (posted by Anon I believe)

I was faced with this WARNING:
"This page and the download links will be decommissioned on January 22nd, 2016.
If you are not an enterprise user, please visit get.adobe.com/flashplayer to download Adobe Flash Player for your system.
Enterprise users must have a valid license to download and distribute Adobe Flash Player binaries. Instructions and further details can be found at http://www.adobe.com/products/players/f ... ution.html.
Please note that starting December 1st, 2015 you will be required to create an AdobeID to request an enterprise distribution license."
[url]https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
[/url]
It's probably been posted here already, but I figured I'd put it in in case it hasn't.

So, downloading Flash returns to the old way - here:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Mind you, we have Flash disabled on all computers, but I figure it's still important to keep it uptodate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:47 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Good to hear, welcome back, & thanks for the info. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 pm 

Works now too, but for after 1/22, direct link for latest Flash dmg installer

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/fl ... er_osx.dmg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

And a Java reminder since we're here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35159851

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:58 am 

FF 43.0.2 fixes some critical vulnerabilities.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... 43.0.2.dmg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:47 pm 

Why they couldn't just hold off a couple days and release 43.0.1 with all those vulnerabilities fixed? Quite the mystery.

Apparently connection bandwidth and server disk space is free at Mozilla.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:33 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Works now too, but for after 1/22, direct link for latest Flash dmg installer

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/fl ... er_osx.dmg

I used to use this in the past:

Is one better than the other?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:35 am 

The get.adobe link installs directly, giving you no control. The one I gave downloads the latest dmg installer, which you then open and run. You can then save the installer and copy it to any other volume.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:46 am 

WZZZ wrote:
The get.adobe link installs directly, giving you no control...

Not for me it doesn't.
I have downloads set in firefox for Always ask me where to save the files. That way it doesn't download anything automatically but always asks. So I always download a dmg from any download site and have it saved it to the Downloads folder.

Happy holidays btw.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:16 am 

Yeah, hadn't used that link in ages. It does behave as you say. Just brings in the dmg installer. What I will miss is the convenience of https://www.adobe.com/products/flashpla ... tion3.html for the dmg installer for system administrators, which lets me install it on any attached volume, so don't have to run the dmg installer individually while booted to each. That's what is being discontinued after 1/22.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:42 am 

Technically its not, it's just not going to be anonymously accessible. Or, at least, officially anonymously accessible.

I have a funny feeling all the files Adobe's hiding away will be widely available on the internet. How many of them will be modified to include a payload is the question.

Which is why you don't do stupid things like this, but Adobe has to learn the hard way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:01 pm 
Master

I truly think I'll just uninstall the damned thing. It's not really worth the trouble and there's an ever shrinking universe of stuff that depends on it (outside of obnoxious advertising at least), and it's catastrophically unsafe. If Adobe wants to make it harder to keep it updated, I think that's just there way to telling me they don't want me using, which is a very sensible thing for Adobe to tell people. On that basis, Adobe, I salute you!

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:05 pm 

Flash 20.0.0.267

Sound familiar?

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/12/flas ... her-flaws/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:27 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
Just went to update FF and then Flash.
I have been using the site given here as a good way to download Flash in the old familiar package format (posted by Anon I believe)

I was faced with this WARNING:...
[url]https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html
[/url]
It's probably been posted here already, but I figured I'd put it in in case it hasn't.

So, downloading Flash returns to the old way - here:

Mind you, we have Flash disabled on all computers, but I figure it's still important to keep it uptodate.

I just went to update Flash on our netbook hackintosh prior to another Japan trip. I figured I'd give a look at the old familiar Adobe site for system admins that Anon? gave us here - the one I spoke about above, the one that was supposedly not going to work anymore.

Well - it still works.

What's up?

I used it and got the same newest version I got the other way for the iMac and MBPs.
I keep flash disabled, but nice to know it's uptodate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:50 pm 

Well, first they moved the discontinuation date back from January 22nd to March 1st, on March 1st it was changed to say that "This page and the download links will soon be decommissioned."

"Soon." :lol: Every time I see "soon" I think of a CES event where Origin was displaying a promo video for their long, long, long delayed Strike Commander game. It ended with the words "Real Soon Now." I think it ended up coming out about 9 months later, basically right before the next winter (or summer) CES.

Well, Firefox 45 is out. The only real change I've noticed is that right click doesn't always include a back button now. Since I always right click and back that change is annoying me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:03 pm 

Since the update to Ff45, TripAdvisor has been hinky for me.

Sometimes - esp when I temp allow the page via NoScript when I type a reply and use an edit function, be it shift or delete or copy - the page blows up - disappears for a second and then comes back. If I look really quickly I can sometimes see a box in the lower right which looks like an old-fashioned file folder with a tab. If I just don't all NoScript it works fine - so something is not making nice with something else. I'm too busy now to write on TA anyway - much to Mr H's relief.

I'm not sure this is new with 45 but the little i in the circle on the addy bar looks new. And the back and forward arrows up there are darker to my eye.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:33 pm 

Oh, yeah, Flash 21.0.0.182 came out last Thursday. :|

I think the little i is new too. Probably an info button. Seems to take the place of the site icon, thank god.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:19 pm 

The back button not being present in some areas seems to have been profile corruption, I reset my profile and like magic I had backwards and forwards buttons where they were supposed to be on the right click menu.

Edit: Looks like someone on Mozilla's team finally woke up and realized that when they moved settings into a browser tab that setting the home page to "use current tabs" would also include the settings tab as a home page. It certainly didn't take them long to catch that at all. :roll: Its like they've fallen asleep at the switch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:57 pm 

Flash 21.0.0.197 is out, and Firefox 45.0.1 came out a couple days ago.

Adobe hasn't taken down the site yet. And I don't understand why they even publish PPAPI plugins, Google updates its PPAPI plugin earlier than Adobe, and nobody else uses PPAPI. Its made that site extra annoying to wade through.

Oh, and on the Windows front, Microsoft released yet ANOTHER version of the "Get Windows 10" app (KB3035583). So if you've hidden earlier versions of KB3035583 to stop it from auto-upgrading you, well, guess what, you have to hide it again. Microsoft apparently has spent so much time looking at malware they lost the ability to realize when they've adopted its methods.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:44 pm 
Master

Direct download link which may-or-may-not still work after they take the main distribution site down:

https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/f ... sx_pkg.dmg

You may need to replace "21" with whatever the current version is when you read this. Keep your fingers crossed. Or just dump Flash because it's horrible, pointless, obnoxious, and dangerous.

- Anonymous

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next