XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:06 pm 

I've found lots of posts via a Google search where folks are asking how to turn off the notification nag for updates.

I'm in the opposite place - how do I find out when updates are out there and get notified.

[Still very new to this beast (aka my new iPhone) and i haven't yet figured out where/how to download apps would you believe?]

I've turned off a lot of things so as not to use up unnecessary battery and not have things running in the background - do I really need the stock report or the weather?? NOT.

But, I'd like to know about updates. I happened on a Software Update in Settings and I see that one is out there and available to "Download & install" (10.2) but HOW do I get it to tell me this? I've seen people complaining that the phone does the download automatically and eventually installs it if you wait long enough - it's been a week since I noticed it in settings, I've done nothing about it (testing what happens) and nothing has happened.

And - I've done a backup to iCloud by chance, it occured when charging before I shut off that feature. I still need to do an iTunes backup.
BUT - where/ how/ or nowhere? does the whole phone including the operating system (is that what one calls iOS?) get backed up?? or does it not?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:25 pm 

I couldn't afford an iPhone but my wife has an iPhone 6 :D

For Apps and updates, I think you only have to open the App store app and you should see any updates in the updates tab. You can search for and install apps too.

Names might be a little different as I'm translating from Spanish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm 

On the subject of Backups I think iTunes backups are better. iCloud always gave me a strange warning that not everything would be backed up but left me in the dark on exactly what.

If iCloud backup is off and iTunes backup is on (I can't remember if it is automatic), you should be ok. When you connect the phone to iTunes it should say 'backing up' or something similar.

Remember to have your PIN codes (for your SIM and the phone itself), AppleID passwords etc to hand as you'll need them for when the phone restarts after the upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:53 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
I've found lots of posts via a Google search where folks are asking how to turn off the notification nag for updates.

I'm in the opposite place - how do I find out when updates are out there and get notified.

I couldn't afford an iPhone either :cry: but I'd assume all updates would be installed automatically as that would be the easiest path for the consumer so as to be one less thing to bother with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 pm 

Avon B7 wrote:
If iCloud backup is off and iTunes backup is on (I can't remember if it is automatic), you should be ok. When you connect the phone to iTunes it should say 'backing up' or something similar.

Remember to have your PIN codes (for your SIM and the phone itself), AppleID passwords etc to hand as you'll need them for when the phone restarts after the upgrade.

Thanks for the extra input, Avon B7

MonkeyBoy has explained that I should copy my music to iTunes on the MBP I'll be using to backup the phone before I do that first backup - so I'm trusting iCloud backup for a day or so more.
The difference is clear as mud:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204136

PIN for SIM??? When my carrier company helped me set up the phone over my landline connection, she had me do a previous update. It never asked for the SIM PIN - and I don't think I would know where to find it - I'll call the carrier, but I don't recall being asked for it at the update stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:05 pm 

Avon B7 wrote:
I couldn't afford an iPhone but my wife has an iPhone 6 :D

For Apps and updates, I think you only have to open the App store app and you should see any updates in the updates tab. You can search for and install apps too.

Names might be a little different as I'm translating from Spanish.

Thanks Avon -

No problem with the names: Spanish trans worked just fine.
I can open the App store and see if updates are needed - (on my MBP it notifies me when up updates in the app store are available with a tiny number by the icon in the dock). I was wondering about being notified on the phone somehow that updates were out there - kind of like Firefox sends me little pop-ups telling me I should update.
Sorry to hear that you can't afford an iPhone (but your wife can! more power to the woman! sorry, I just had to put that in, since I am one of the few from the distaff side that shows up here)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:06 pm 

roam wrote:
I couldn't afford an iPhone either :cry: but I'd assume all updates would be installed automatically as that would be the easiest path for the consumer so as to be one less thing to bother with.

Well, if that's the case, it's not happening for me. But, I turned off a lot of background "push" stuff, I'd like to know what's going on.
In settings, I do see the option software update and when I look there it tells me an update is available for download and install.
Now I'm wondering about that SIM PIN Avon mentions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:47 pm 

The only time updates won't be installed is when there's not enough free space on the device to download and install the update. This typically means leaving 3-4GB of space but it varies by iDevice and iOS version.

Major updates won't install until you actually install them. This should be an automagic prompt that comes up when the update finishes downloading. If you bypass the update, it may not prompt you again until you reboot the device or the next update comes out or the moons of Saturn enter into perfect alignment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:53 pm 

Thanks again, MB.
Do you know what this is about? I'm pretty certain I didn't need this when I did the first update when I first started the phone and was prompted to do an update:

Avon B7 wrote:
...Remember to have your PIN codes (for your SIM and the phone itself)

I know my Apple ID, and the passcode I created for the phone - but SIM PIN??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:51 am 

When you installed the SIM (or had it installed), it probably came attached to a credit card sized piece of plastic. The SIM was probably extracted from the plastic and installed in the phone. However, that piece of plastic also holds the PIN code of the SIM and the PUK code. The codes themselves are hidden, so you have to scratch them with a coin or key to reveal them.

To unlock the SIM you punch the numbers into the phone when it turns on. Once you are up and running you can change the SIM code to something that makes more sense to you.

If no one has given you the code (either on the piece of plastic or paper) perhaps no PIN was ever established but I find that rather strange.

When you turn the phone on, does it ask you for a four digit code or just the code of the phone?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 pm 

Avon B7 wrote:
When you installed the SIM (or had it installed), it probably came attached to a credit card sized piece of plastic. The SIM was probably extracted from the plastic and installed in the phone. However, that piece of plastic also holds the PIN code of the SIM and the PUK code. The codes themselves are hidden, so you have to scratch them with a coin or key to reveal them....
When you turn the phone on, does it ask you for a four digit code or just the code of the phone?

Gulp - I don't have that.
I looked at the plastic card that I punched the SIM card out of - all it says is SIM 1 (I don't think I'm giving away the farm here by saying that)
When you say "When you turn the phone on, does it ask you for a four digit code or just the code of the phone?" do you really mean turn the phone on? or just wake it up?
I've only turned it off and on once - now I'm afraid to turn if off since I have no number as you describe.
When I wake the phone up, it asks for the Passcode - a 6 digit number that I created and punch in - not putting that here!

Should I be concerned???

I'm with Consumer Cellular which is an MVNO company that operates only in the US and uses AT&T towers.
I'd better call and ask them about this before I turn off the phone - though I recall when I turned it off - the one and only time thus far, I was on the phone with them and there was no number asked except the passcode.

EDIT to ADD:
I did as much research on this as I could - I'm waiting for an important call so can't tie up the phones. I read about folks needing a PIN for consumer cellular to change (port) their service to another provider and they learned the SIM is the last 4 digits of the phone number - nothing about a PUK though.
I really don't recall having to put any of that in when I turned off and then on the phone - but I'll not do that, and won't let the battery run out, until I can call them and ask.
I wonder if since they deal only with the over 50 crowd they think this makes things easier? Anyway - I'm pretty certain I have no PIN, no PUK.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:54 pm 

Perhaps it has no PIN code associated with it. If the plastic from which you punched the SIM out of has no codes on it, that would seem to support that there is no PIN.

Also if you have already turned the phone on and off with the SIM in it and were not asked for the SIM code, that further supports the idea that no PIN has ever been established for it.

If it had a SIM PIN code associated with it you would not have been able to use your voice network to make calls.

It could be a Europe vs US thing. I've never received a SIM without a PIN code associated with it. Perhaps things are different where you are.

Here, if you fail to input the correct PIN code three times the SIM will lock until you punch in the PUK code. Both are included on the plastic card from which the SIM is punched out but if there is no such information on your one I'd say you are good to go.

You can always check with your carrier just to be safe.

BTW, in one of the earlier posts on the app store app, I was referring to the app on the phone, not on the Mac. From there you can download directly to your phone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:16 pm 

On consumer cellular knowledge base:
What is the PIN for the phone, and should I lock the phone? 

The PIN is a security feature built into the phone by the manufacturer. It is used to lock the phone when it is first turned on. We do not recommend locking the phone. If you feel it necessary to use the lock feature, please call our Customer Support team at (888) 345-5509 so we can walk you through the process.

What do you think?
Is the iPhone pass code enough? (until I put on the purchased but not installed tempered glass screen protector, we haven't set the finger-prints to unlock setting yet and are just using the pass code)
Should I call and get the PIN and PUK just in case? If I get the numbers, do I have to lock the phone with them or can it just stay as it is, but I'll have them if I need them?

I had a UK phone many years back and it did have a PIN and PUK. I always worried that I'd accidentally put in the wrong number and lock myself out. But then we never used the phone ever - well actually, we used it once in India but didn't need the numbers. It's a no contract, pay as you go (and very expensive but we got it just for emergencies) phone that is so old I don't think it could even work on today's networks - just a relic from the past.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:52 pm 

The knowledgeable article is a little strange.

The SIM code is relevant to the SIM card and therefore the carrier, not the phone manufacturer.

I think you could get by without setting a SIM PIN code, especially if you have an unlimited contract.

The Phone passcode (the six digit one) will surely stop someone getting in to its contents but if the phone gets stolen but there is nothing to stop the thief from taking out the SIM and dropping it into another phone and using your voice and data bandwidth. If you're on an unlimited plan it won't cost you anymore if someone gets their hands on your SIM and nowadays we use phones constantly so you are very likely to detect it has gone missing and have time to put a stop on it.

If your carrier has a decent app for the phone or decent web access to your account with them, it's a good idea to deactivate all the premium options that aren't generally included in unlimited plans (premium lines, premium MMS etc) as hardly anyone uses them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:01 pm 

"I think you could get by without setting a SIM PIN code, especially if you have an unlimited contract."

I'm actually on a very limited (and very inexpensive) plan with no premium features. I don't think anyone would want my plan, but they wouldn't know and of course they could keep upping the plan, but I'd get notified (phone and email) And they do have a website on which I have to open/setup my account, haven't done so yet.
Pay as you go for the first 20 phone call minutes, then it will kick up to the next pay plan. $9.50 then up to $14.50 for 250 minutes if exceed the 20, then it keeps going up.
Data is 300 texts, 30MB $2.25
At about $15/month including tax that is super cheap.

I never thought about someone stealing the SIM card - but I can always call the provider/carrier and cancel, assuming I know it happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:19 pm 

Exactly, and when you have web access setup, if someone gets hold of your SIM you can just use another device to go online and block the SIM.

My Android phone has an option that lets me show my name and some text on the main screen so that if I lose it and it falls into friendly hands, when the person who finds it turns on the screen, they can see my name and contact info (in my case it is an email address) and get in touch with me to return it. They can't get into the phone though without the passcode.

I'm not sure if the iPhone has such a feature.