XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: iPod Classic anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:25 pm 

I have a modest collection of Podcasts on my iPod Classic. Having listened to them, I want them retained, to listen to again at some point. I want to Save them. However, while connected to iTunes, and having selected 'Save episode' from the small menu obtained from clicking the circled arrow to the right of the podcast title (it only appears when the mouse is moved over the appropriate point beside the title), the episode comes back as unsaved the next time I connect to iTunes.

Anyone know how I can make the 'saved' state of the podcast stick?

It's an iPod Classic 160GB, software version 2.0.5 and iTunes version 11.4 (OS is 10.6.8).

I feel the iPod Classic is almost retro now.

Post subject: Re: iPod Classic anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:24 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, I can't find out the minimum sys requirements, but I suspect iOS5 or more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:59 pm 

iPod Classics didn't run iOS.

Dunno about how to save them through iTunes, but I'd bet if you used one of those hack tools to mount the HD in a read/writeable format they would be on the HD in an mp3 or m4a format. The problem, as I recall, is that Apple named files numerically or alphanumerically on the HD and used a database to present thsoe files with nice names. So if you could setup the Classic so those were the ONLY audio files on the drive you'd probably have an easier time finding them. Figuring out which is which, well, that could be tricky.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:44 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Whew, I can't find out the minimum sys requirements, but I suspect iOS5 or more.

Thanks BD.
I suppose the fact that iOS didn't figure in the Classic shows how old-fashioned, out of date, legacy leaning and quaint it is. Me too, I guess. ;)
I bought it 2 years ago … :lol:

I've still got an original shuffle (512MB) - the one that looked like a stick of gum, to quote Steve Jobs. That wee thing is superb. Almost indestructible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:45 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
iPod Classics didn't run iOS.

Dunno about how to save them through iTunes, but I'd bet if you used one of those hack tools to mount the HD in a read/writeable format they would be on the HD in an mp3 or m4a format. The problem, as I recall, is that Apple named files numerically or alphanumerically on the HD and used a database to present thsoe files with nice names. So if you could setup the Classic so those were the ONLY audio files on the drive you'd probably have an easier time finding them. Figuring out which is which, well, that could be tricky.

Thanks MonkeyBoy. I don't have the courage to start fiddling too far with this irreplaceable machine to be honest.

I've got 464 Podcasts, which I patiently went through, one at a time, selecting 'Save episode' only to have them all revert to unsaved the next time I connected the Classic to iTunes. That's the pedestrian level I operate at most of the time. Imagine my torment :shock: .
They are BBC Radio Podcasts of a programme called 'In Our Time'. I have them all going back to January 2008. The Beeb has an archive of older IOT programmes going back to 1998, any or all of which can be downloaded. These archived episodes are classed as 'Genre - Podcast', 'Kind - MPEG audio file', and are immune to this 'saved/unsaved' nonsense.

As my old Nan used to say, "Life's just a bag of peas."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:30 am 

RodF wrote:
BDAqua wrote:

Thanks BD.
I suppose the fact that iOS didn't figure in the Classic shows how old-fashioned, out of date, legacy leaning and quaint it is. Me too, I guess. ;)
I bought it 2 years ago … :lol:

I've still got an original shuffle (512MB) - the one that looked like a stick of gum, to quote Steve Jobs. That wee thing is superb. Almost indestructible.

My sisters both have a G3 Nano (2007?) - the square one which only lasted one generation but which I think was the most beautiful Nano they ever made.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:09 pm 

Yeah, that's the Nano I have at home, a previous employer gave it to me as a gift one year.

Unfortunately one of the USB pins broke in the iPod dock so it can't be written to anymore, only read & charged. I thought I'd be clever and connect it up via Firewire but apparently it's too new for such trickery, it only supports USB docking.