XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:26 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Schools in Los Angeles are seeking compensation from Apple over a $1.3bn (£870m) iPad-based education project that has gone awry.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32347651

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:52 pm 

I saw that yesterday but didn't have time to read through it. I'm sure their action will make someone at Apple deal with the issue. They are playing the two card trick. Demand a refund on an institutional level and get it into the press. It's the only way sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I wonder if Apple couldn't see over the tops of their stacks of cash to not see this coming, seems a big PR fubar if nothing else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:17 pm 

Quote:
It hit problems when students were able to bypass security systems on the tablets and because the computer-based curriculum was incomplete.
That's an elegant way of saying that iOS devices have inadequate security.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:24 pm 

There appears to be some kind of intellectual dissonance going on at Apple. Interviews with their top brass seem to make it sound like Apple is a computer company that just happens to sell phones and music on-the-side. With the Apple Watch selling well, and iPhone sales going strong – and desktop sales becoming a small part of their business - it appears to me that computer users aren't Apple's average customer any more? Sigh!

appler505

Last edited by appler505 on Sun May 17, 2015 2:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:confused: :coffee:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:49 am 

Sorry I was a bit obtuse, BDAqua; late-night posting will do that to me ;)

So, at least publicly, Apple still presents itself as a computer company that also sells phones and music. Though, over the past decade, it's become a near full-service media company whose profitability is now primarily generated from the sale of phones, as revenue statements for Q1 2015 reveal:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/01/27/app ... ings-1q15/

I believe Apple has, for years now, been moving away from the desktop market; and will continue to move toward becoming a multifaceted producer of dumb terminals, and to produce (or at least license) 'creative content' for those terminals to display. Soon we'll be able to view Apple TV on our iPhones, while our Apple Watches record every imaginable bodily function? How much fun we'll all have :D

appler505

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:31 am 

"Customer sat on iPad, literally off the charts, in some cases 100%. Unheard of."

Wow. I'm speechless. :o So the iPad is a new kind of cushion then? I'd not anticipated that use of "pad" before ... :D

On a more Sirious note ... they made a great play about the takeup of Swift as a new programming language. Presumably "proper" computers, i.e. Macs, will be needed to develop apps using it, so the Mac isn't doomed quite yet. Also Mac sales seem to be as strong as ever, in a declining PC market.

Presumably the slowdown in iPad sales was only to be expected, given (1) the market is more saturated than it's ever been and lots of healthy competition too, growing all the time, and (2) people don't update such devices with the frequency that they upgrade a phone - and 'twas ever thus.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Sorry I was a bit obtuse, BDAqua; late-night posting will do that to me ;)

No, no, no, I'm sorry, the emoticons didn't express very well, the confused one was for Apple, the coffee was a cheers to you!

I totally agree with you, dumb terminals are where the money is & the wave of the past. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:10 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Presumably the slowdown in iPad sales was only to be expected...

Tablet is a strange concept I think, all I hear is complaints about how hard it is to use as a computer, & it's too big to be used as a phone!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:15 am 

Just like the first gen Air, the first gen iPad fell far short of making the grade.

Current iPads have a way to go in usability and suffer from not being able to increase internal storage but they are usable if you know what you need.

The current fall off in sales is more Apple's fault than anything else. The stubbornness in offering woefully under capacity models and deliberately forcing users to choose between the useless low capacity or the overpriced high capacity (with no middle ground) means people hold off. Combine that with the fact that my iPad Mini from last year is perfect for me so I'm out of the iPad market this year. I would have got an iPad Air this Christmas but its price was out of my range so Apple didn't get the sale.

At version 8 iOS is very poor at doing mundane things because looks are more important than functionality at Apple.

Last edited by Avon B7 on Sun May 17, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:29 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I wonder if there's something strange happening behind closed too tightly doors in Cupertino that adversely affects Rods & Cones both?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:25 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
...I totally agree with you, dumb terminals are where the money is & the wave of the past. ;)

That's so humorously true, BDAqua :D Now, in my opinion, the whole dumbing-down of Apple is an insult to Mr. Job's memory. And if I were to guess what the root-problem is at Apple, I'd say there are too many cooks in the kitchen!

appler505

Last edited by appler505 on Mon May 18, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:54 pm 

And the cooks are only interested in making the food look good instead of making it tasty.

It's almost impossible for my index finger to select text of four letters or less. Tabs in Safari are needed but the little cross to close them measures around 4mm :shock: . Scrubbing the video playhead allows for zero finetuning. Try scrubbing to minute 1 in a 90 minute video. Setting start/stop times in iTunes for playback in videos still doesn't work. Jumping back to to the start of a video (without scrubbing) fails more often than it works. Still no arrow keys for finetuning text selection. So many 'problems' that should have been fixed by now.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sigh, sadly OSX is becoming an OS where less than a fingertip resolution for UI elements is to be eliminated, hidden or require some damn mouse over, even on 5K monitors. :upset:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Sigh, sadly OSX is becoming an OS where less than a fingertip resolution for UI elements is to be eliminated, hidden or require some damn mouse over, even on 5K monitors. :upset:

Snow Leopard install disk, anyone? :D

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:55 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I do think 10.6 was the last decent OSX.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:05 pm 

I think 10.5 is when Apple started going astray, 10.6 was still good but still further astray, and 10.7 is when they descended into madness.

I still can't believe they took away the ability to add static routes. It's just such a basic function that it's amazing that they don't have it. I guess Apple knows they'll never get back in large businesses so why not just flip them the bird...

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:35 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Agreed, 10.5 was where silly things like thinking every icon on the Desktop should be a separate window was added, but nothing the likes of later OSX versions.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:37 pm 

Well, 10.5 was the first OS X version that was noticeably slower than the previous version. From 10.0 to 10.4 they actually got faster with each release.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:39 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

That also. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:19 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well, 10.5 was the first OS X version that was noticeably slower than the previous version. From 10.0 to 10.4 they actually got faster with each release.

Whoa!! Snow Leopard was WAY faster than Leopard! That was the whole point of it - it was essentially Leopard but redesigned for Intel only rather than the dual-chip compromise that was Leopard.

Oh wait - I've misinterpreted what you said .... you said Leopard was the FIRST slower, not that Tiger was the LAST quicker ...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:50 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Snow Leopard was WAY faster than Leopard! That was the whole point of it - it was essentially Leopard but redesigned for Intel only rather than the dual-chip compromise that was Leopard.

On a 1.83 GHz Core Duo iMac even with 3 GB of RAM, 10.6 was far slower than 10.5, which was slower than 10.4, at least here it was that way.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:33 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
Snow Leopard was WAY faster than Leopard! That was the whole point of it - it was essentially Leopard but redesigned for Intel only rather than the dual-chip compromise that was Leopard.

On a 1.83 GHz Core Duo iMac even with 3 GB of RAM, 10.6 was far slower than 10.5, which was slower than 10.4, at least here it was that way.

Unfortunately, I've never compared Leopard and Snow Leopard on the same machine, so can't speak from experience. 10.6 was much much faster on a 2006 Core 2 Duo iMac than Leopard on 2005 G4 PowerBook, but that's like saying Ferraris are faster than Fords :lol:

All I know from the claims at the time, is that 10.6 was supposed to be smaller, leaner, trimmer, meaner, than 10.5... You're probably the first person I've ever heard say 10.5 ran faster on the same machine.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:55 am 
Benevolent Dictator

It came with 10.4.x & 512 MB RAM, was useable, upgraded to 1 GB RAM & was far more pleasant, updated to 10.5.8 & was less than pleasant to use, upgraded to 2 GB RAM & was almost pleasant to use, upgraded to 10.6.8 & very unpleasant Beach Ball Heaven, upgraded to 4 GB RAM, (3 GB usable but purported 10% speed increase, but that was only Memory access, 1% speed increase at very best overall), still, running only Safari & Mail in 10.6.8, beach balling was regular after about 5 minutes of browsing.

Booting 3-4 GB RAM off FW/400/10.4.11... speed was astonishing! Not a Beach Ball ever!

It may be the later OS was faster, & maybe it was the version of Safari or Firefox that was the main problem, but they're mostly tied together.

Tiger Requirements...
To use Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, your Macintosh needs:
    * A PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
    * Built-in FireWire
    * At least 256 MB of RAM (I recommend 1GB minimum)
    * DVD drive (DVD-ROM), Combo (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) or SuperDrive (DVD-R) for installation
    * At least 3 GB of free disk space; 4 GB if you install the XCode 2 Developer Tools  (I recommend 20GB minimum)

Leopard requirements/10.5.x...

*  Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

minimum system requirements

* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)
    * DVD drive for installation
    * 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...

General requirements
   * Mac computer with an Intel processor
    * 1GB of memory (I say 4GB at least, more if you can afford it)
    * 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)
    * DVD drive for installation
    * Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
    * Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

10.6 only needing 5GB to install by dropping the smaller PPC code really had no excuse for it being called leaner, had they done the reverse & dropped Intel code it likely would've only needed 3-4 GB space to install. :)