XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:03 am 

Especially following a situation with LinkedIn that I believe was more than coincidental a couple of years ago, I've never liked staying logged in to websites.

But are there/can there be any security risks by doing so?

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 am 

I am by no means an expert on this. I recall reading a number of years ago about how being logged in left an open conduit that supposedly somebody really tech savvy could utilize but that was a number of years ago and with the prevalence of being logged in these days maybe the secure site feature has minimized that. I know I stay logged into some sites for hours at a time and have seen no issues.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:07 pm 

When you read about cross site scripting vulnerabilities, that's one site accessing another site using whatever credentials are available in the browser to access the other site. Facebook is the prime target of this, so if you can stay logged out of Facebook you're safe from most miscreants.

I tend to keep connections logged in while I have the browser open, but then clear most everything when I close the browser, which makes me log back in everywhere I visit after that. Buuuuut I don't log into Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. except in very rare instances.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 pm 
Master

For sufficiently loose definitions of logged in, it presents more opportunity for security issues if the site is programmed in an insecure manner:
  • Simplify tracking as you browse other sites (this is usually intentional, a la Facebook)
  • Allow cross-site request forgery
  • Is a precondition to stealing session cookies for accessing the site
  • Probably more...

In general, if the site is one that contains anything you care about, log out when you're done using it, and if you don't want to be tracked quite as easily, clear your cookies.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:23 pm 

I should probably mention that I tend to close my browser several times a day, and each time it closes it automatically clears cookies, cache, etc. Basically everything except saved passwords and even then I rarely save passwords.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:08 am 
Master

Same here. I close it at least twice a day. Sites can save all the cookies and whatnot they want, but everything gets wiped out at least twice day. I take other countermeasures to somewhat complicate browser fingerprinting, but they're only effective against sites that aren't trying very hard. At this point it's probably impractical (without writing your own crippled paranoid browser, which I think qualifies on several levels as "impractical") to prevent probabilistic fingerprinting.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:54 pm 

What about tripadvisor?
I stay logged in there. When I close the browser it deletes all cookies, my setting, BUT I've whitelisted TA so those cookies don't get deleted. Am I risking something? Nothing personal on TA, not even my name and I'm not Mrs H there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
Master

I wouldn't worry about it.

Or by analogy: Should you drive at night? No, of course not. It's less safe. On the other hand, if you want to go someplace beyond walking distance at night it's entirely reasonable and appropriate and I wouldn't give it a second thought. Unless, perhaps, you'll be taking the Facebook or checking account road (to strain the analogy).

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:28 pm 

By "closing the browser," do you mean closing the browser window or quitting the browser application completely? I'd read several years ago already that just by closing the browser window and opening a new one – rather than simply entering a new URL – prevents the first site from tracking one's actions. So that's what I've been doing ever since.

I also do log out of sites rather than staying logged in. My browser remembers my login credentials for most sites, so it's not a bother for me. I posed the question because I'm wondering why so many sites now ask if I want to remain logged in (as if they benefit somehow by my doing so).

But, then, I also don't opt to use the "auto-pay" feature offered on the websites of some companies (such as cable, phone and utilities), and that's not so much over any browser security issue as it is that I don't give anyone access to my money without initiating the transaction myself.

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 am 

When I close the browser window I mean quitting the application. I have Firefox setup to clear everything except saved passwords on quit. Just closing a browser window while leaving the application running doesn't get you as much security and/or privacy as you might think, since all the stored session data is still intact.