XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: iMessage confusion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:02 pm 

I'm confused. What's new?

After I got our new iPhone number, Messages on the travel MBP changed “Start new conversations from...” to our iPhone number from the email addy it had been set to. (In fact, at some point I put in 3 email addies to receive messages on the MBP - probably overkill and in fact, not necessary if they will also show up and count as data usage on the phone)

Can I have iMessage on the computer have “Start new conversations from” be an email addy and on the phone have it be from the phone number.
(I’m trying to avoid Messages tht come in on the computer showing up on the phone.)
Unlike the rest of the world I’d like to keep these two separate.

In the accounts prefs page, it shows Apple ID and then you check enable this account.

Does the Apple ID email addy have to be the one at which we can receive Messages on the computer or can it be another email addy?
You can be reached for messages at - currently is our Apple ID email addy 2 other email addies and the phone number.

How can I keep the phone number off and keep the 2 message recipient places separate (without getting a second Apple ID)?

Post subject: Re: iMessage confusion
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:29 am 

Hi Mrs H!
I believe the info I provide below is accurate, however, iMessage is sometimes a finicky little guy.

From iphone - settings/Messages/Send & Receive (tap here) , you can add, select or deselct email addresses. Check mark to the left indicates active (it toggles off with tap). The phone number is checked and greyed out to remain always active.

From the computer - iMessage app/preferences/Accounts Tab/Settings, you can add, select, & deselect email addresses you want associated with that computer under "You can be reached for messages at:". You can also deselect the phone number of your iphone. In addition at the bottom of the same screen you can select "Start new conversations from" and use the drop down to select the email address you wish to use.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:49 am 

And hello to you too, db5owat !

Yes it helps, though I did find all those settings myself - I still am uncertain about this:

2 questions -
- can I change the email addy for Messages on the computer and not have it be the Apple ID email addy? and also not have it be the phone number which got added automatically?

- and for the phone, can I have it just be the phone number or does it have to include an email Apple ID as well?
This doesn't really help:
http://www.imore.com/how-to-activate-im ... leimessage

And will this keep the 2 separate, so I don't get on the phone messages sent to the computer (by an email addy - especially if I remove the phone all the email addies - but ... do I have to keep the Apple ID addy - since it has a box for this addy at the top of the pref page - make this active.

I don't know if I start deleting email addies will I cancel the whole thing? Not that important on the computer, I can figure out how to set it up again - but I am still just learning the ropes on the phone and don't want to really mess anything up (too much...)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:26 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
And hello to you too, db5owat !

Yes it helps, though I did find all those settings myself - I still am uncertain about this:

2 questions -
- can I change the email addy for Messages on the computer and not have it be the Apple ID email addy? and also not have it be the phone number which got added automatically?

- and for the phone, can I have it just be the phone number or does it have to include an email Apple ID as well?
This doesn't really help:
http://www.imore.com/how-to-activate-im ... leimessage

And will this keep the 2 separate, so I don't get on the phone messages sent to the computer (by an email addy - especially if I remove the phone all the email addies - but ... do I have to keep the Apple ID addy - since it has a box for this addy at the top of the pref page - make this active.

I don't know if I start deleting email addies will I cancel the whole thing? Not that important on the computer, I can figure out how to set it up again - but I am still just learning the ropes on the phone and don't want to really mess anything up (too much...)

I do not have first hand experience such that I can answer those specific questions with authority. However, if you have not gotten to this Apple Web-page regarding messages on phone & device, I think it may be helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:42 pm 

db5owat wrote:
I do not have first hand experience such that I can answer those specific questions with authority. However, if you have not gotten to this Apple Web-page regarding messages on phone & device, I think it may be helpful.

Thank you!

I hadn't gone to that page!

I saw Facetime in the description of this page when it came up in Google, so didn't bother, but of course it has exactly (I think) the information I need!

I've just skimmed it and it looks really helpful Thank you!

"In the “You can be reached” section, make sure that there are checkmarks beside your phone number and Apple ID."
I think, but I'm not certain, that this implies that my Apple ID, aka my email addy, has to be checked [and therefore can receive messages on the phone - but maybe not, since it later says "If you want recipients to see your phone number and not your Apple ID, select your phone number from the “Start new conversations from” or ”Start new calls from” pop-up menu."]

Just what I needed to know about that part of the question:
"If you don't want calls or messages for your iPhone on your iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, you can remove your phone number. "

btw - we still pack one of the 10.6.7 hackintosh netbooks when we travel; just in case the MBP goes dead horse.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:01 pm 

So glad that link was helpful!

I miss my old HackBook. I sold it when I discovered I could not use it reliably past 10.6. It was a great fun time back when it was fully functional. I still use my Hackintosh desktop as my main machine everyday. It's now 6 years old, but still very functional...even peppy with my over-clocked Xeon 5650. :D