XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:00 am 

This is not a hallowe'en joke, but I wonder if that hallowe'en google image is the source of the problem although a search doesn't bring up anything.

Google - my home page on Firefox - is screwing around with my iMac. (Everything else works)
Mr H couldn't make it work this morning and I've had the same problem. It's not effecting Mr H's MBP however which is working just fine.

I can't type anything in the search box, or the address bar, I can't click on anything in the menu - nothing works. Though if I type and copy (say) ny times into text edit, copy the words, shut textedit and open firefox, I can paste the words because the cursor does show up in the search bar.

I restarted the iMac twice - no fix.

I have to force quit to get out of firefox - but I don't get that firefox is non-responsive message in the box that I do get when I choose to force quit something that is non-functional. I am still on 10.6.8 and firefox is 45.4.0esr - uptodate.

I got the "We're embarrassed" page from firefox and told it to restore Google which was an option, which it did and then it worked - but I only got to the "embarrassed" firefox page when I force quit and tried to open firefox again - and this only happened twice - other times it just doesn't work and the embarrassed message doesn't come up.

When it did work I cleared the cache - took several tries to make it believe that I wanted to do that, other times it stared at me, then I quit and opened firefox again - same symptoms for Google - not able to type or use mouse.

I switched (temporarily I Hope) my home page to duckgoduck which is slow but works fine - mouse works and I can type search terms.
EDIT - I reentered the google home page addy - it doesn't work.
I switched home page to ny times - works fine and Google works from there if I click on the google icon on my toolbar.
The address for Google in my toolbar is the same as the one that I used in prefs for google to be my home page.
I have worked for the past 15 minutes with ny times as home page, but clicking on google in the toolbar for searches and have had no difficulty.
I don't know what the problem is with google as home page or where to go to fix it, Mr H still is having no trouble same google addy on his MBP for home page (we use this
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0
which we find does not auto suggest completion of words, we don't think google is smarter than we are nor does it always know what we want)

I'm stymied. I'll try to re-enter Google manually as my homepage - or click on use current page as home page when it works - it seems to just fail at startup in firefox.

I don't know if it's a firefox problem - not likely since everything else works - or what...

sigh - I'll be away from the computer for about 2 hours, so no rush for a reply.

Any ideas on what I can/should do?

Thanks so much and happy hallowe'en. How do I get the goblin out of my Google?

Last edited by Mrs H on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Can't replicate here in FF 42.4 & OSX 10.8.5

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), try it in Safe Mode, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & clear caches.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:54 pm 

Thanks for the idea.
I haven't tried it yet, but here's an update.
Mr H doesn't have the problem.

Could it be a Google cookie causing the problem?
I don't know what the Google cookies are - I have google.com whitelisted (probably bad but...) because I had settings for Google I think - but I don't know what they are anymore.

I've got the home page now at BBC news.
Firefox opens fine, everything works, if i click on Google as I have it on my toolbar - the same Google addy that was my home page Google - it works.
So it must be something to do with Google set as my home page pref that is corrupt. Mr H has the same addy set as home page on his and it works.

I'm wondering if the first thing to do is to go to prefs and say make current page my home page when I have the working Google as the current page. (but the addy is the same one that I had to remove because it didn't work...)

<<(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & clear caches.)
>>
Is safe boot a fix or a diagnostic?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:04 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It's both, but clearing caches by Safe Boot may cure it, then if it works in Safe Mode but still doesn't in regular boot it'll be a diagnostic. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:29 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
It's both, but clearing caches by Safe Boot may cure it, then if it works in Safe Mode but still doesn't in regular boot it'll be a diagnostic. :)

Can't do it now, heading out the door.
Will do later on this evening if I can, or tomorrow morning and I'll get back to you.

So, before I do this, I should reset Google to be my home page as before (should I test it again to be sure it still doesn't work?)
and then do the safe boot like this (abbrev from my apple notes)?

Shut down iMac - wait 10 seconds.
Press power button.
Wait till I hear the startup sound and immediately hold down Shift key.
Release Shift key when I see Apple & spinning gear.

Yes???

Then what???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yes, but don't reset the home page yet.

Then see if it works in Safe Mode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:22 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Yes, but don't reset the home page yet.

Then see if it works in Safe Mode.

Hi again, I'm back. It's late and we're headed to bed but I just want to know what to try tomorrow morning.

:confused: :confused:
Are you saying keep the home page as I have it now to circumvent the Google issue [it's set to be BBC news (and now when I click on google on the tool bar it does work)]?
Start up in Safe Mode and "see if it works "?
Do you mean once I'm in safe mode, be sure that BBC works as the home page for Ff, and then still in safe mode reset home page to Google and try to start up Ff now with the old Google addy as the home page and see if the trouble persists?

I'll try whatever you suggest tomorrow morning and report back, I just want to be sure I understand what I am doing to see if "it??" works.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:21 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Are you saying keep the home page as I have it now to circumvent the Google issue [it's set to be BBC news (and now when I click on google on the tool bar it does work)]?

Yes.
Quote:
Do you mean once I'm in safe mode, be sure that BBC works as the home page for Ff, and then still in safe mode reset home page to Google and try to start up Ff now with the old Google addy as the home page and see if the trouble persists?

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:39 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:

Yes.
Quote:

Yes.

I'm in Safe Mode now.
BBC works fine as home and I can go to Google on the toolbar from it and it works (as it did when I couldn't make it work any other way yesterday)
I'm going to reset home as Google and I'll be right back with the news.
One thing I am noticing right now is the keyboard seems sluggish - I can type faster than it can keep up with me, which doesn't happen usually - is that normal in safe mode? Or is it some keyboard pref setting that is lost in safe mode?

Also, I've seen a few black almost like halos behind menu bars - they show up and then disappear. Strange.

I did notice when I copied out the old home page that there was an s missing in the https slot. Before I went into safe mode I tried fixing that but that didn't matter - still trouble with google as home.

OK - I'm going to try it now - why is this keyboard so sloooow?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:50 am 

Well, that didn't work.

The scary black shows up every once in a while when I go to a pull down menu - it shows up around the edge - I don't think I can be fast enough to take a screen shot)
Firefox with google as home page doesn't let me type anything (as before) and disables mouse (I guess it's disableing the keyboard too) when I start FF with google as home page. If I try to open text edit while that dead google page is open it lets me open it, but then I can't close it - the menu bar doesn't work if I try to quit from there and if I type command quit, the word text edit in the menu goes blue but nothing happens and if I try to force quit it doesn't show up in the list of apps not responding.

After 2 efforts at command option escape and force quit it offers the restore page and then I pasted a prepared text of "BBC" into the search bar and that went in and so I set that as the home page (as my fix before)
BUT - what's to be done ?

Something is wrong and I don't know what.

IS my iMac dying?

I'm still in safe mode and it's awful.

What next?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 am 

AND when I move a window over by grabbing it with the mouse, I see black blotches behind and in front - strobbing sort of - I'm just trying to find symptoms but now I think I should just copy the last documents I wrote and ... what?

I tried connecting a little flash drive I had on my desk to the usb hub - it recognized it in DU, but it didn't show up in finder or on desktop - does this tell us anything?

Help.....please......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:48 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
OK - I'm going to try it now - why is this keyboard so sloooow?

Quite strange, but it does take a couple of minutes to rebuild caches.

Regular boot & see if you still get the blotches.

Then in FF set the home page to google, quit FF, open Terminal in Utilities, start FF, what does Terminal report?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:05 pm 

Lots of tests - I know nothing more.
Mr H asked if the Google Hallowe'en game thing might be part of the problem - though I saw that last night in their logo and Mr H doesn't have the problem on his MBP.

Anyway - here's what I have to report:
The black creepy jumpy background went away -I tried all the things that made it happen - when I got out of safe mode - and it never reappeared.
The keyboard and mouse functioned fine.

I was still at BBC for home page.

I did exactly as you said and here’s what Terminal showed - nothing changed from the time I opened it until I closed it! ( I copied into TextEdit and had TE open when I moved on to try something else - so that led to a problem):

Last login: Mon Oct 31 12:55:52 on console
imac:~ Xxxx(our name)$

Weird it did nothing when I open Ff - or is that what you expected?

Weirder REALLY really weird
Google worked the first time I opened FF following what you said to do.
I then copied what was in Terminal shown above and tried opening Ff again with Textedit still open and apparently this is what is causing some issues because Ff didn’t work - I couldn’t type anything in the search field.

I saved TE doc and closed it - which all went fine - after TE closed the search item I tried to type into the Google search field before when TE was open began to be typed in…

BUT, then I tried Ff again - no TE open and just opened Ff with Google still as home page.
Nothing - can’t type in search field and can’t quit. Maybe if I waited long enough the letters would appear?

I’ll try Terminal again.

This:

Last login: Mon Oct 31 15:28:43 on ttys000
imac:~ Xxxx$

I don’t know when that ttys00 came in - but once it appeared it hasn't gone away and is there each time I try anything.
I accidentally copied & pasted the Terminal info you see above with the ttys000 onto Terminal, instead of into TE - but it just said it didn’t recognize that command. I quit Terminal and started again.

If I wait long enough Google works now - and the letters show up in the field.
Oops - tried again -with TE was open - and Terminal open. Nothing -Ff doesn't work.
I couldn’t see Firefox in the menu bar just Terminal - again had to force quit to get out of Ff.
The force quit box never says Ff not responding as it usually does when I ask for force quit.

And once more, with Terminal open.
Ff didn’t work. I did a force quit and got this window, which shows in preview as not downloaded yet, so I bet the download didn't work - I had that problem with attachments here before.

Attachment:
restore.jpg [73.21 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

When I restored Ff did work.

Terminal continues to look like this:
Last login: Mon Oct 31 15:42:25 on ttys000
imac:~ Xxxx$

I'm going to reset BBC as home page until I hear back from you - when that is set it all seems to work - Google works fine once I get beyond opening Ff with anything other than Google as home page.

Help?!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Gaaack, big boo-boo on my part, I meant Console… notTerminal. :nothappy: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:09 pm 

I would try disabling all extensions in FF and look under plugins to see if anything new creeped into either extensions or plugins.

I've been getting quite a few "this page is taking a long time to load" drop downs in Firefox lately, with options to stop the page or continue to wait. I usually stop the page then close the tab.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Also…

What all 3rd party extentions are you running? 

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:41 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I would try disabling all extensions in FF and look under plugins to see if anything new creeped into either extensions or plugins.

Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing new.
It's been working perfectly for years and all of a sudden yesterday morning - bam - this happens.
Here's a screen shot of my cookies - as I said before I have Google white-listed (other cookies I have deleted when I close Ff, but that became too cumbersome for Google. I don't know if deleting these all cookies and letting them rebuild will help - I can't remember any more what most of them are)
Attachment:
cookies - exceptions .jpg [101.48 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
cookies stored before I open google.jpg
cookies stored before I open google.jpg [ 59.83 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]

Extensions:
Attachment:
extensions.jpg
extensions.jpg [ 48.03 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]

Plug-ins are all disabled except flash which is set at ask to activate and I never do.
I haven't done the most recent flash update, but since I never use it I haven't rushed to do it.
That can't be the problem can it???

I haven't looked at console yet for you BDA, but that's next on my list of to dos.

I hope I didn't do any damage by opening terminal and pasting into it what I copied from it - but there doesn't seem to be any change.

Everything works just fine now as long as Google is NOT my home page and I access it from the toolbar.
Is it remotely possible it's that idiot Hallowe'en game that's there and this will go away tomorrow? Doubtful.
Mr H is still doing just fine on the MBP and he has the same settings as I do (unless he's changed something which is unlikely)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:52 pm 

BDA et al:
I followed your steps:
Changed Homepage back to Google
Quit Ff
Opened Console
Started Ff

Here's the relevant stuff from Console - nothing more came up after I copied it though I've typed this entire message:
OH and btw, when I went to reopen Firefox, the search bar allowed me to type as it did in the olddays (a day ago that is1):

just before I shut down Ff:
10/31/16 10:37:52 PM [0x0-0x80080].com.apple.Preview[762] libpng warning: Empty language field in iTXt chunk

STARTED FIREFOX AGAIN HERE:

10/31/16 10:44:43 PM [0x0-0x7c07c].org.mozilla.firefox[743] 1477968283208 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x10d94a380 of class NSCFDictionary autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x10d945fd0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x10d942c00 of class NSCFDictionary autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x122f42f60 of class NSCFData autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x124e78200 of class __NSFastEnumerationEnumerator autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x12290ed40 of class NSCFNumber autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x122912160 of class NSConcreteValue autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x10d946b80 of class NSCFNumber autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1229121c0 of class NSConcreteValue autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x12290f2c0 of class NSCFDictionary autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
10/31/16 10:47:22 PM firefox[788] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1071c9ac0 of class NSCFNumber autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:07 pm 

I don't know if you have already done this, but it won't hurt to try.
In Firefox: History: choose Clear Recent History and select all items and do Clear now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:14 pm 

roam wrote:
I don't know if you have already done this, but it won't hurt to try.
In Firefox: History: choose Clear Recent History and select all items and do Clear now.

I've cleared cache going that route, but I haven't cleared anything else - selfishly, some of it is useful.
I guess I should - perhaps doing one at a time, but interesting enough as I said above, Google worked this past quit and restart firefox.

Tomorrow is another day - it's bedtime here.
Any further ideas - please let me know - esp about the console info - and what I can preserve and what I must clear in History.

Thanks and good night.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Empty language field in iTXt chunk

Something to do with reading PNG files, perhaps spurious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:48 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
Empty language field in iTXt chunk

Something to do with reading PNG files, perhaps spurious.

Spurious? as in bad from without? malware???

It dawns on me - when you asked for a copy of what was in console I just gave it to you from the moment before I quit Ff at that time yesterday afternoon - until when I posted. Your spurious item "Empty language field in iTXt chunk" is just before I quit.
What about all those leaks from no pool?

And, if I can access it, would it give any clues for you if you could see the entire console list from when this problem first showed up ?

After coffee :coffee: I'll make Google my home page again and test it again and see what.
Now it's just working fine with NYTimes as home page.

Those black slashes across the screen and surrounding pull down menus were a factor of safe mode (slow keyboard also) Is that just a safe mode slow down I hope?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:48 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Only the Console log from the time FF starts with Google home page until it freezes would help/

Spurious, as in I don't think it's part of the problem.
Quote:
What about all those leaks from no pool?

Yes, likely part of the problem at least… once FF freezes, see if you can run an etrecheck report & post it here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:42 pm 

Just finished mowing lawn.
The bad news is - the leaking pool thing shows up even with NY Times as home page.
I just opened Ff again and copied console without even using Google as home because I just wanted to see what.
And here's what I learned _very old info_ about leaking:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=541809

It does mention adbolock plus, so I checked and it needed updating which I did before opening Ff just now - at 4:30 more or less.
No different.
Do you want to see the console report for today, I just saved it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:45 pm 

I hastily posted the above BDA because I saw you were online.
I still have to download and check that app you linked above.

One other note - the ancient bug report showed a problem with adblockplus so I wonder if I disable it, quit and reopen firefox if that will tell me something.
I'm trying that now even though that bug report is ancient.