XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:54 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Hmmm ,seems the Microwave Oven interference had something to do with the ambient temp & humidity.

When the interference happened we had 2-3 days of 95° F. temps, & low humidity for my house, about 50&.

Since temps have dropped & Humidity is back about 80% with the same exact setup, there has been no upsetting of the Wifi connection, so I guess thinner air + lower humidity was was just enough to allow the Oven to reach the modem strong enough to make it go whacko!?

Scratch that, that theory didn't last long! :oops:

Tried every channel from 1 to eleven, seems all made it worse than Automatic channel!?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:56 pm 

What metric are you using to determine if it's better or worse? Actual connection speed and packet loss or the Airport indicator in the menu bar?

Automatic is choosing 1-11 based on logic that varies from router to router. The difference between setting it yourself vs. Automatic is you can intelligently choose 1, 6, or 11, versus the "I'm gonna choose any channel" logic of Automatic.

You may want to perform a site survey, to figure out what channels are within range and what their strengths are, but unfortunately the only free WiFi scanning software I know about is on Windows. OS X apps all want money.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:09 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Signal strength is almost always showing great, it's the frequency of outrages & depth of outage, & if I have turn turn off the Modem for it to recover or it recovers on it's own.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:19 am 

You're on a cellular modem, right? I wonder if you're having connection issues on the cellular side, not the WiFi side.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:41 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Correct on cellular, but often it will connect here for instance, but any Apple site will say no Internet connection!???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:57 pm 

Does the cellular modem/router dish out IP addresses? Like you can connect a couple systems to it and you'll each get a different IP assigned by the device, typically a NAT address?

If so you could try pinging the modem/router's IP (not the public IP, the default gateway IP, which should be a NAT address) when you're having issues and seeing if there's any packet loss. If not, then your WiFi connection is fine and it's getting mired on the cellular side. Of course if it doesn't respond to pings at all then they might not have allowed it to respond to pings, in which case, le sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Does the cellular modem/router dish out IP addresses?

Yes, I think I can usually address the Modem/Router & login to reset it, but not totally sure of that under varying curcomstances. :confused:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:18 pm 

I guess my point is that if you can ping the cell hotspot w/o packet loss, then you know the WiFi side is working.

It doesn't directly help your problem, it just rules out changing WiFi channels or similar settings to solve the problem. Or implicates it, if there's packet loss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah,thanks. :)

Just tried it a bit ago when I was turing Rigatoni into mini Burritos… no soap, so it's Wifi.