XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: shell script
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:35 pm 

My wonderful power monopoly destroyed more computer hardware on me, and my replacement external hard drive cases want to put the drives to sleep unless they get regular activity. So I thought I'd create a simple script that would check to see if a file exists then touch it if it does. I can then add it via crontab or whatever I want to kick it off every 2 minutes to avoid having the drives constantly spin down and up.

But I've been spending the entire week helping out at work with our yearly audit and my brain has apparently been turned into a fine mush (so many spreadsheets, so many database reports, so much data to be merged :shock: ), because even this simple task seems beyond me. I've made a script that works, that simply touches the files and exits, but anything that involves checking to see if the file exists (in case I dismount a drive) before touching it isn't working.

This seems pretty straightforward to me. I've inserted some echos so I can track its progress.

#!/bin/bash
touchfile="/Volumes/Volume1/keepalive.touch"
echo "$touchfile"
if [ -f "$touchfile" ]
then
touch "$touchfile"
echo "$touchfile touched."
fi
echo "end if"
touchfile="/Volumes/Volume2/keepalive.touch"
echo "$touchfile"
if [ -f "$touchfile" ]
then
touch "$touchfile"
echo "$touchfile touched."
fi
echo "end if"

And this is the output:
/Volumes/Volume1/keepalive.touch
end if
/Volumes/Volume2/keepalive.touch
end if

So $touchfile gets set, it gets echoed, but it doesn't find $touchfile so it exits the if. I've tried various operands inside the brackets, -e for example, with no change. I initially didn't use the variable at all, just the full path to the file, and that didn't work either.

By comparison, this script works fine:
#!/bin/bash
touch /Volumes/Volume1/keepalive.touch
touch /Volumes/Volume2/keepalive.touch

Ugh. I think I'm going to bed early tonight.

Oh, and this is running on 10.5.8, but I figured a bash script is a bash script. I'm also kicking it off via crontab, in case that matters.

*/2 * * * * ~/KeepAlive.sh

Post subject: Re: shell script
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Any help hereā€¦

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 4160033481

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 6190817357

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:56 pm 

Not really.

It appears my problem is caused by volumes with spaces in their name. Once I removed the space from one of them the if branching started working.

Looks like I can just nix the escaping (Sample\ Volume\ Name) and just wrap the entire thing in quotes. Which I was already doing, because it spit out errors if I didn't... once wrapped in quotes the escaping became superfluous and would stop it from matching.

Now I need to figure out launchctl to avoid crontab spitting errors into the system log. I actually had a good plist before but trashed it since the script wasn't working, and the one I came up with from your link doesn't work.

At least I know why the script wasn't working though, that had me a little baffled.

For what it's worth, the script as written at the start of this thread does work, because my example volume names don't have spaces in them. If you replace the volume names with ones that contain spaces, just type it normally, don't use backslashes. You can edit or comment out (#) the echo lines, since they were sanity checking on my part so I could see where the script was stepping.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:22 pm 

I managed to work out the plist from my original source:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<false/>
<key>Label</key>
<string>net.monkey.touch</string>
<key>Program</key>
<string>/Users/me/KeepAlive2.sh</string>
<key>StartInterval</key>
<integer>120</integer>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true />
<key>StandardErrorPath</key>
<string>/dev/null</string>
<key>StandardOutPath</key>
<string>/dev/null</string>
</dict>
</plist>

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work, thanks for the report! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:24 pm 

It all makes perfect sense when you stop and think about it for a second, but I always escape volume names instead of using quotes, and, well, that didn't work - the if branch treated all spaces, even escaped spaces, as a break between operands. Add quotes, remove the escape characters, and voila, it works fine.

Also, anyone using this script/plist would need to manually create the keepalive.touch file in the root of each HD. A simple "touch /Volumes/Volumename/keepalive.touch" is all that's needed to create the (0 byte) file. The script/plist looks for the presence of this file and won't create it if it's missing, because that's my safety net for dismounted volumes - if the file isn't present, the volume isn't mounted, so skip creating a file under /Volumes.