XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Linux install question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 am 

I wanted to add a Linux option to my hackintosh set up. I have my primary OS (10.6.8) on an SSD. I have Windows 7 and XP on a different drive (2 partitions). When I installed Linux (Mint from DVD) I messed up the booting of XP. That's OK. I will do something about that later and don't use XP much at all. I was surprised Linux did not mount when in OSX and I ended up reconfiguring by erasing the Linux partitions contents and formatting it FAT32 I think. A question is coming..... When I tried to once again install Linux to the newly erased partition, the process was interrupted with a login request. It does not accept any of my login/PW combinations. I believe that there is a folder on the Windows 7 partition created by Linux install (first time) that is causing this. It is a folder named "NST" and contains a file called "ntldr" which appears to be an executable file. If my assumption about that folder is correct I would like to delete it so I can re install Linux on that newly erased partition. The problem is ...it wont let me delete. Not even logged in as root user! How can I delete that folder (if in fact it is not related to Win 7)?
Edit:

I deleted the folder by booting into win7 and deleting it...no issues in win7. However, the problem remains. While running the installer DVD of Linux it is interrupted. It seems to see some remnant of the initial install and expects me to login. Yet it will not allow a login with anything that I am familiar with. Any ideas?
Attachment:
Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 3.10.24 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 3.10.24 PM.png [ 100.82 KiB | Viewed 1495 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:41 pm 

I got it. Simple once you know what it wants from you. User = mint. PW = leave it blank, press enter. Bob's your uncle!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good work, thanks for the report! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:43 pm 

db5owat wrote:
I wanted to add a Linux option to my hackintosh set up. I have my primary OS (10.6.8) on an SSD. I have Windows 7 and XP on a different drive (2 partitions). When I installed Linux (Mint from DVD) I messed up the booting of XP. That's OK. I will do something about that later and don't use XP much at all. I was surprised Linux did not mount when in OSX and I ended up reconfiguring by erasing the Linux partitions contents and formatting it FAT32 I think. A question is coming.....
Attachment:
Screen shot 2012-11-01 at 3.10.24 PM.png

@db5:

Seems like you may have solved your issue, I've done a few different computers with dual boot OSX/Linux . . . nothing with Windows. The Linux format should be similar to windows DOS or FAT . . . so there shouldn't be much of a problem there if you were adding Linux to the windows HD, right? I think this relates to the use of BIOS??? But OSX uses EFI . . . and indeed, if I boot from OSX using "option" boot loader, Linux partition will not show up--OSX does not recognize other systems. So, the general rule is that Linux "goes in last" . . . if you install after Linux that "messes up" the GRUB or Yaboot install, so the GRUB boot window doesn't show up--making it harder to boot Linux. Dual booting an Intel Mac using OSX and Linux, we need "rEFIt" or "rEFInd" . . . which is a boot synchronizer to smoothen the differences between BIOS & EFI . . . and maybe we need "gdisk" it's been awhile since I did it . . . all of this is outlined online by "rodbooks" "How to dual-boot OSX & Linux" . . . the only thing I wouldn't do again is to use Bootcamp to set up the partitions . . . once you do that the partitions can't be modified "on the fly" the way it can in DU. I'd just use DU to partition the disc, install OSX, no use for windows but for those who do, and then the Linux system.

e.e.p.