XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Finally pulled the HDD out of my dead PC, plopped it in my MAc Pro, & it does see Windows as a boot option with alt/option boot.

It's an OEM hp install so possibly won't work anyway, but had PS2 Mouse & KB, it booted "regular boot", but said it must register with MS to work, no response from USB KB or Mouse to the dialog box.

I wonder if there's some way to boot it?

Or a way to import it to a Parallels VM?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:16 pm 

it seems like this may be possible using dd and VirtualBox's command line options
https://blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/2012/0 ... otherwise/

Just change the sudo dd line to:

sudo dd if=/dev/diskX of=./sdb.raw where X is some number

Find the mounted Windows partition /dev/disk name by using df -k.

if you have access to another PC, you can use vmware standalone converter to convert the Windows drive to a .vmdk file
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=converter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Wow, sounds hopeful, but how would I get a "sdb.raw" file to start with... or did I miss something?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:07 pm 

sdb.raw is the "of", or "output file". It is created using that argument in the dd command.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, is that any different than a .DMG or .ISO?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:23 pm 

Not different from an ISO, because that's also a raw dump of data. DMG has various headers and formatting in it dealing with the format of the DMG, how its compressed, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, thanks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:09 pm 

BTW, since I didn't see it mentioned, if you want to image the disk you should first use the terminal command

diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk#

Where the number corresponds with your PC's hard drive. You can find this out by using the command

diskutil list

which will list all disks in the system and all partitions on those disks.

Normally when I'm doing it I diskutil unmount /dev/disk#s# which corresponds with the only mounted partition on the disk. Since this sounds like an OEM you could end up with 3 or more partitions on the disk, and it's a pain to unmount them one by one, so you can just use the unmountdisk instead which should - in theory - unmount all partitions on the disk.

If the partitions are mounted in OS X the dd could fail because the device is in use. By unmounting all partitions on the device it's free for dd to access it.

Also, be sure you have enough space wherever you point the output file (of=/path/to/outputfile.raw) for the entire size of the disk you're copying. It will copy empty space as well as used space as well as empty but not zero'd space. It's possible to run the output through gzip and end up with a compressed file, though working with that compressed file is slightly more complicated since it either requires you to uncompress the file before working with it, or continued use of Terminal.

As far as your system booting off the HD as-is, the reason the keyboard & mouse don't work is because Macs don't support legacy USB emulation, which emulates a PS/2 keyboard & mouse for OSes without native USB support. You need to install USB drivers before it can recognize the USB mouse & keyboard (or, as I prefer to call them, moose & squirrel). You could try burning boot camp drivers to a CD/DVD and hoping they auto-install, but I'm pretty sure they require at least a mouse click or two. A better option is running it through some kind of virtualization environment... with a windows xp disc you could do a repair install of windows and get it running under the virtualized environment. A repair installs resets the hardware abstraction layer to zero and forces it to redetect all the hardware from scratch, same as it does on a fresh install. Shame they nuked that feature in Vista and up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, just figured out why I couldn't mount it at all, had to disable NTFS-3G of all things!?

And thanks for the info, may give that Terminal stuff a try now. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:24 pm 

NTFS-3G won't mount a disk that wasn't cleanly unmounted. Normally it will put up a message warning you that the disk wasn't unmounted properly and they recommend not mounting it, you can go ahead and try to force it to mount, but it can't always mount the disk. Unless NTFS is in a clean state, all bets are off as to whether any third party tool will be able to mount the disk or make the bad situation worse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Once I disabled NTFS-3G it mounted easily & even shows in Sys Prefs>Startup Disk as a choice.