XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:17 pm 
he who stacks pork

Fresh components from NewEgg, delivered this morning:

• Intel Core i5-4570S Haswell 2.9GHz LGA 1150 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54570S
• GIGABYTE GA-H81.Amp-UP LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
• CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
• TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP/WPA/WPA2
• LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
• CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC ...
• Both a 128GB 6G SSD as well as a 1TB 6G non-SSD Western Digital Caviar Black

Built everything up, was able to install OSX 10.6.8 and Windoze 7 on the 1TB SATA HD without any issues… so I thought. Seems as though the longer the computer is on for, the sooner it will give bluescreens or fail partway through booting in Windoze, or lock up in OSX or just freeze partway through booting into OSX. As stated, somehow earlier on in the day I was able to get complete installs of both OSX and Windoze.

I figured perhaps there was a problem with the 1TB HD, so I popped the brand-new 128GB SSD and was able to install OSX 10.6.8 and Windoze 7 onto it. Started experiencing the same exact problems once again.

The lockups and bluescreens appear at seemingly random times, however, it seems as though as the day grew longer (I’ve been screwing around with this setup from about 10:00AM Pacific Time, it is now after 7:30PM Pacific Time) the machine became flakier and flakier.

Troubleshooting:

• tried downclocking CPU from 2.9GHz to 2.5GHz = same problems
• put a cooling fan on the chipset heatsink = same problems
• tried just one RAM module at a time, and in different RAM module slots = same problems
• cleaned and reapplied thermal compound for CPU and reseated stock heatsink = same problems
• tried three different graphics cards: Radeon HD5870, Radeon HD5850, Radeon 2600XT = same problems
• disconnected wireless PCI card = same problems
• disconnected Ethernet cable = same problems
• ran the BIOS-level memory check = both modules report as being just fine

What have I missed in the troubleshooting??? Bad CPU??? Bad Motherboard??? Where do I start?

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:24 pm 

Could be bad power supply or bad RAM, the easiest way is to swap in components from somewhere else, or test those components in other hardware.

To be completely honest, it could very well be RAM... but I stay away from "overclocked" boutique RAM - DDR3's official top speed is DDR3 1333. Anything above that is technically overclocked (usually by increasing voltage).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:42 am 

you could more thoroughly test the RAM with a bootable memtest 86+ .iso. if it's bad RAM it'll usually fail memtest86+ pretty quick

you could play with the motherboard memory clock/voltage/multiplier settings. read what the latency and voltage on the modules says and try to match that. sometimes motherboards don't get the settings right on their own

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 am 

Motherboards are supposed to read the values from the SPD, but memory manufacturers don't always populate the SPD with correct values. As Apple users we should know this, that was the entire reason "Mac RAM" existed was because Apple depended on the SPD values being correct and fully populated, and manufacturers couldn't be bothered to do their &*(@#$ jobs.

Another trick I do for RAM is find the qualified memory list for the motherboard and only buy RAM off that list. It's a list of RAM the motherboard manufacturer has tested with the board and verified it works correctly. It's not perfect, because manufacturers can change manufacturing processes up between the time they test it and the time you buy it (like changing the aforementioned SPD values), but it's a lot safer than buying RAM you think is good and should work. I've had all kinds of RAM act quirky on me that works fine in other systems.

I agree that memtest86+ or a similar bootable ISO environment would be a good step. Just be prepared to let it run for hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:46 pm 
he who stacks pork

One day later…

I can only wager that the motherboard is the problem. I have tested every component from the build (including cables and power supply) in my known-working “bulletproof” hackintosh based on a Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H motherboard. Looks like I get the fun of doing another RMA with NewEgg. :roll: I’d selected the GA-H81.AMP-UP due to it’s size– fits nicely inside a Blue & White Yosemite G3 case. I guess I need to test fit the GA-Z87MX-D3H in the Blue & White case to see if it is possible to also fit the optical drive carrier. We’ll see. :lol: :g3:

Oh yeah, I should note that the memory is running at 1333, not 1600. Verified by the BIOS settings on both motherboards.

-he who stacks pork