XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 10
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:01 pm 

I ran a full backup of my Win7 machine earlier this week so I decided to see what all the fuss is about.

Ended up having to muck in regedit to get the thing to start installing. Now it's been stuck at 14% for several minutes, but my drive activity is going nuts. Going to guess this is the latest example of a programmer progress bar, where the percentage means something to the guy who wrote the thing, but it's not particular useful for figuring out how much time you have left until the thing's finished.

I do find apologists going into overdrive defending WiFi Sense to be incredibly amusing though. It is kind of useful on one level, it helps sort out who Microsoft is and isn't paying.

Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:02 pm 
Master

WiFi Sense, aka "let your friends beam your wireless password back to Microsoft and then to anyone they've ever befriended on Facebook got an email from," is a great feature that solves lots of problems for everyone but the poor SOB who made the mistake of letting his friend on to his wireless network.

I am truly seriously considering setting up a RADIUS server for wireless authentication on my network rather than renaming it "my_network_optout_nomap".

- Anonymous :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I might try Win ten when there's a way to eliminate those useless Live Tiles! :bonk:

I also find it amusing that most sites report the reason for Win10 instead of Win9 is to distance itself from Win8, wilst the real reason is that many Apps check for Win 9 only, which might be '95, '98 etc! :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:06 am 

BDAqua wrote:
I might try Win ten when there's a way to eliminate those useless Live Tiles! :bonk:

I also find it amusing that most sites report the reason for Win10 instead of Win9 is to distance itself from Win8, wilst the real reason is that many Apps check for Win 9 only, which might be '95, '98 etc! :fishsmack:

Rubbish. Windows 10 = WindOS X :D

What I find hard to understand is Microsoft's 'puff' about it being 'the same OS across all your devices". Ok, smarts for familiarity I suppose, but where is the advantage of cramming a full size OS onto a phone (wasting a ton of space) and giving you the opportunity to do all the things you'd never dream of doing on a tiny screen? Photoshop, large spreadsheets, editing video, typing your thesis...
"Wow - great fridge. It even lets me make toast."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:47 am 

MacBiter wrote:
What I find hard to understand is Microsoft's 'puff' about it being 'the same OS across all your devices".

''the same OS across all your devices" doesn't mean a clonelike installation but means a common platform, just as with OS X has iOS for Apple pocket devices.
'Cross device software integration' is perhaps another way of describing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:11 am 

roam wrote:
MacBiter wrote:
What I find hard to understand is Microsoft's 'puff' about it being 'the same OS across all your devices".

''the same OS across all your devices" doesn't mean a clonelike installation but means a common platform, just as with OS X has iOS for Apple pocket devices.
'Cross device software integration' is perhaps another way of describing it.

I thought the whole point with Windows 10 (and the way Microsoft are promoting it) is that it IS the same OS across all devices? Which makes it rather different from OS X and iOS, and led Tim Cook to make his 'refrigerator that's also a toaster' remark?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:12 am 

What I find amusing is that they stuffed a touchscreen interface onto both a desktop OS and a console in 8, and seem hell bent on repeating the worst of those same mistakes in 10. Different devices require different interfaces, Microsoft.

Well, the 10 upgrade hadn't completed by the time I woke up, it stalled at around 25% complete ("Copying Files 85%"), so I did the old hold power switch for 4 seconds to power it off, at which point it rolled back the installation so I'm running 7 again. :roll: I couldn't find the troubleshooting thread I was reading last night so I gave up and maybe I'll futz with it this weekend.

Actually Anonymous, its not just facebook friends, its also anyone who you connect over Skype with, anyone you have in your Outlook contact list, etc. - the criteria for who Microsoft will share your data with just keeps expanding.

The apologists are all yammering on about how you have to be physically close to the WiFi network to get the password, but how the hell is is going to retrieve the password without an internet connection? You need WiFi to get an internet connection (at least on the overwhelming majority of devices that will be running Windows 10), so therefore this system makes no sense... unless they're caching what networks you've been granted access to locally, at which point it simply does a lookup and voila, now it can join the network. If so, the time until someone releases a tool that'll reverse the password and display it on screen or output it to a file is virtually nil at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:30 pm 

Dumped all the 10 files off the HD, forced it to re-download everything, and... stuck at 25%/85% again. :roll:

I might try disconnecting my non-boot drives out of the system, that way it'll only have a single drive to worry about. Or maybe I'll wait a few weeks and let Microsoft figure out what it's doing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:22 pm 
he who stacks pork

Wow, have tried Windoze 10 on a couple machines. Really thankful the rollback to previous OS option was available. This latest OS is really lame. I’ll stick with Windoze 7 until everything eventually just stops working properly.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:45 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Same here… on my list of things to do…

10 years after I die I'll embrace OSX 10.11

13 years after I die & win a billion dollar lottery, I won't embrace Win10, even Win 7 is poor cousin to XP as far as I'm concerned, but assuming a $billion is still worth a dollar 2.98 a that time, I'll restart the Atari Computer project with custom 68090s! :fishsmack:

The leaches on society need some competition. :p_dog:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:07 pm 

Up until Windows 10 Microsoft was really on an every-other-OS-is-usable strategy. Now with 10 they've broken the cycle, going from one unusable OS (8) to another unusable OS (10).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:33 pm 

Win10 would be usable if the following weren't forced:

1) Privacy invasions (most of which can be turned off, but in 13 different locations around the OS it's anything but intuitive).

2) Keylogger. Yes, Cortana can be killed, but it IS essentially a glorified keylogger and it won't take long for blackhats to figure out a way to exploit Cortana's watchful eye to glean info from unawares users).

3) Forced updates. This is the big one, and a deal breaker for anyone, especially a small business that can't afford Enterprise VLs, that requires the OS not arbitrarily break their hard to configure setup. Medical equipment that suddenly fails to work could cause things you don't even want to think of. And Microsoft's updates have often broken things on their own, as we saw with the debacle with nvidia's multi-monitor/G-Sync monitor setups when Win10 launched and forced an update to an outdated driver (nvidia keeps theirs more up to date than MS, and a forced update could easily overwrite a game ready driver).

It's excellent under the hood, but it's beyond intrusive to the point where I'll never install it unless these three things are addressed permanently.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 pm 
he who stacks pork

God damn Windows 10 is like an annoying spam factory all day long. I have a new part time job, unfortunately it is on Windoze 10. All day long it pops up with stupidass irrelevant messages about how much better a person I can be if I use the computer the way they would want me to. :roll: Is there a “TURN OFF ASSHATTERY” button somewhere I don’t know about?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Is Bob there sans comic, how about Rover???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 pm 
Master

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Is there a “TURN OFF ASSHATTERY” button somewhere I don’t know about?

Not based on what I've read about Windows 10.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 pm 

Actually there is such a thing, though its hard to get ahold of and Microsoft really, really, really doesn't want you using it. Their army of Microserfs online actively discourage anyone from considering using it but it does exist.

Its called Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Unfortunately the commoners aren't allowed access to it, only licensing program customers who purchased W10 Enterprise licenses may use it.