XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:15 am 

Audio Return to Channel, please...
Audio Return to Channel, NOW! :upset:
Goes and disables ARC from the Samsung TV, since Onkyo home theatre receiver receives volume up/down and power on/off commands, but not sound. In goes the SPDIF cable. Is there a specific way to chant 'Audio Return to Channel' correctly? :confused:

Edit: Might have been this 'Many TVs are two-channel (2.0) only via ARC':

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio ... annel-arc/

Needed this since the TV works just fine as a Netflix player, most of the time this TV serves as a mere computer monitor.

Why do people design useless crap and get other people to pay for it, I want to master this skill too!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:10 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Sorry, not clear, where is the Source of the Sound coming from?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:27 pm 

Are You my Onkyo? :fishsmack:

The Audio return channel should be used to get sound back using the HDMI cable. As You know usually the signal (sound and video) comes from a source (computer in this case), goes through the home theatre receiver and then to the display (TV here). I can however save a considerable amount of energy by switching off the computer and using the TV built-in Netflix application instead of the Netflix application in my computer as a signal source. In this case the signal (sound) should then go to reverse direction, from TV to receiver, with the help of this ARC feature. If only. :bonk:

(Edited [proofread] version)

Last edited by miero on Sun May 28, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:34 am 

What model TV do you have and what model AVR do you have?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:14 am 

Hi Squishy Tia,

TV is Samsung UA48JU6400, receiver is Onkyo TX-NR636. I have not found manual for the TV in English, but the HDMI input with ARC output is clearly marked in the TV case.

The Onkyo was originally in my home theatre setup, but after it was recently repaired under warranty, I decided to move it to my computer setup.

Edit: 1) I meant a real manual with details. 2) Also, the ARC worked once, or I'm losing my mind totally. Not sure which one... :coffee: 3) The HMDI cable was sold as version 2.0, is 3 meters long (about 10 feet for NASA) and works fine with 4K resolution.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:24 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Feet put you closer to where you want to be on Mars than meters. :P

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:26 am 

Here is the TV's user manual in English.

Your receiver manual is here.

On the AVR manual, you want to see page 8, "2nd Step", Item #5.

You may need to turn on Anynet+ in order to enable ARC. Samsung's manual is amazingly vague with nearly everything, but usually Anynet+ is in the System settings. Obviously you'll need to use HDMI OUT 1 (Main) in your AVR. You might need to set the Speaker setting to Receiver in order to get ARC fully functioning as well, though I wouldn't see why unless Samsung screwed things up (a possibility).

If ARC requires HDMI-CEC to be enabled on either device, it must be enabled on both devices. I won't lecture you on HDMI-CEC's many woes, I'll just hope Samsung likes the Onkyo enough to not suck ass with it on.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:54 am 

Hi Squishy Tia, thank You for Your help on this.

I believe those settings are what I have been trying to do. When on in both devices, the receiver appears in the Samsung 'Speaker list' menu and is automatically selected/active, the TV remote does control the receiver, but there is no sound at all. I have now switched this feature off from the TV and have selected to use the optic cable with this HDMI connection instead, as otherwise the TV would try to use the seemingly mute ARC. I have not played around with these home theatre things during the past 6 years and might make some silly mistake(s), but can't find out what.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:57 pm 

miero wrote:
Hi Squishy Tia, thank You for Your help on this.

I believe those settings are what I have been trying to do. When on in both devices, the receiver appears in the Samsung 'Speaker list' menu and is automatically selected/active, the TV remote does control the receiver, but there is no sound at all. I have now switched this feature off from the TV and have selected to use the optic cable with this HDMI connection instead, as otherwise the TV would try to use the seemingly mute ARC. I have not played around with these home theatre things during the past 6 years and might make some silly mistake(s), but can't find out what.

Try setting your TV's Speaker setting to Receiver. It may force audio through ARC. Audio WILL NOT pass through ARC at all if the S/PDIF (digital optical) connection is activated. It must be deactivated first before ARC will pass audio.