XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Made a find
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:56 am 

Wow, I suddenly jumped generations in terms of monitors. Usually I get computer equipment when nobody else wants it. My last monitor was a 17" Sony LCD SDM-X72 dating I think from 2003. One of those squarish ones. A freebie I hauled back from my sister's in LA (I am surprised airline security let me through with that 10 lb. metal stand). The one before that was a CRT 17" nobody wanted at the place I used to work. Anyway, last weekend I perused garage sales and happened across one where there was a monitor for $5. I was surprised because usually the $5 monitors are even older than the one I got from my sister and probably they should be paying people to take them since the city recently started charging to remove monitors with trash. This was one widescreen format so clearly newer than the square format ones I have used to date, and the label said it was manufactured in 2013. The owners said it worked but they had only used it perhaps 3 times. I figured for $5 I am willing to gamble.

Anyway, I now have a $5, 23" widescreen format Dell P2312H A01. No dead pixels that I can see and no yellowish tinge problem that some models seem to have. I did a bit of tinkering with settings, including cutting down on brightness a lot. A few have complained about anti-glare coating but it seems fine to me. No HDMI but it works fine with my late 2008 MacBook using a minidisplay to DVI converter, plus I can use use the VGA port to view my G4 (unfortunately like a 6 button step to switch displays).

Post subject: Re: Made a find
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Wow, fantastic deal! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:41 pm 

2013 may be new enough to have a customizable menu. Go into Menu and see if there's a Personalize option. I replaced the color button on the initial short menu with input select.

Then again Dell has so many models these options may only apply to a few families and not others. My older Dell display (that's degenerated into vertical line hell) had a dedicated change input button but it still took 3 or 4 presses to actually make it change inputs.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:25 pm 

Thanks MB. I was poking around earlier and already did exactly what you recommended with the personalize feature. It cuts it down to about 3 button presses (the Sony had a dedicated button which cycled through the 3 inputs so the first switch I could do with a single button press).

Does anybody know a way to get this model to fully sleep? When the Mac video sleeps the Dell just moves a "Entering Power Save Mode" sign around the screen. The manual says something about special nap software but of course that is for Windows only.

This thing sure is bright. It is night now and the illumination in my office is pretty poor. I just reduced the brightness to 6% (from 60% this afternoon) and it is about what I am used to with the old monitor. There's a feature which is supposed to adjust brightness according to the amount of light background (e.g., when looking at a bunch of text web pages) but I don't think I noticed a difference when I activated it.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:33 pm 

Huh, when my system sleeps it just works normally.

Try doing a factory reset, maybe the previous owner did something weird. menu, other setting, factory reset.

This will reset any customizations you've done though.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:59 am 

MB:

I did a factory reset as you recommended. I then let the display sleep and sat and watched what happened. It goes into the "The display will go into power save mode in 5 minutes" message, goes completely blank for about 4 seconds, then the message comes back up and it starts the time again. I think it was cycling through that all night because when I looked at the computer this morning that message was displaying.

I also tried as Dell suggests and unplugged all cables. Switched on. It displays the above message then the power button goes red (from blue) and the screen turns dark, so that seems to be working.

I re-attached the DVI cable, woke my computer from sleep, and powered on the display. Now when I force the display to sleep it does directly to a "Entering power Save Mode" message which stays rooted to one place. It shows, goes blank, the power button flashes red for an instant, then the message reappears for about 5 seconds and it cycles through that.

I wonder if it dislikes something about my setup? I have a minidisplay port to DVI adapter with a DVI to DVI cable, both purchased from OWC. I didn't even know Dell supplied its own cable or I could have asked the previous owner if they still had it (kind of hard to do in a garage sale setting). I could see if it does the same thing with the VGA input from the G4 which is direct.

What model monitor do you have? Can you list what sleep related messages and lights you see when yours is working properly?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:00 am 

Quote:
Does anybody know a way to get this model to fully sleep? When the Mac video sleeps the Dell just moves a "Entering Power Save Mode" sign around the screen.

Not sure what you mean by "fully sleep." When my Mac sleeps, the Dell I have shows "Entering Power Save Mode," and after a second or two, the monitor just goes dark. If I power off the monitor at night (which I do because it's located in a bedroom and there's no way to turn off the pulsing light completely), it turns on again almost instantly, if the Mac is awake. Maybe that's what you mean by fully sleep. Think even in powered off state, it's still getting power--not like it's being completely unplugged, or removed from power adapter, which mine uses.

Maybe I don't understand what you think the problem is.

If it helps at all, this is the User Guide for mine.

https://www.mv-nordic.com/files/6514/35 ... 15h-EN.pdf

You can probably find the manual for yours somewhere.

There's also a forum.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... als/f/3529

Last edited by WZZZ on Tue May 24, 2016 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:02 am 

At work we have a few different model displays, though one model seems to be pretty close to your generation, which are Dell U2211H displays.

Definitely sounds odd, like its not getting the sleep command from the computer, so its defaulting to the 'no computer connected' mode.

Maybe there's a setting in your display to control this behavior, like auto-off after 5 minutes? Since you know it's 5 minutes, look for settings that are set to 5 or 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:06 am 

Oh I see. Read again, it never sleeps/goes completely dark, it just keeps showing that message.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:34 pm 

Whichever way you look at it, 5$ is a steal. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:28 pm 

I'll try more systematic testing but I suspect it is something I will just have to live with. I use my MacBook in clamshell mode and maybe there is something about that mode that Dells don't like. I never had this problem with the Sony and the Dell test mode worked okay. I even seemed to get it to work okay once this afternoon but I couldn't replicate the event. I guess I can just get used to powering down each night or prior to anticipated lengthy periods of non use. I have display set to sleep after an hour and I guess most days during the day it never gets to sleep or only so for an hour or two. it is probably better for it to cycle through the 5 minute notice which wanders about the screen than locking onto the "entering" notice which stays fixed in one place.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:53 pm 

If you were the original owner and it was still in warranty you could contact Dell support and they probably would provide you with a firmware update that corrected this. The A01 means that's the either the first or second production version of the display (A00 is typically development but sometimes they go to production with the last development revision), meaning there's plenty of bugs yet to be fixed.

Another option would be to connect over VGA to see if the problem is still present, though if you don't have the appropriate adapter on hand it's probably not worth it.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:54 am 

If you have Dynamic Contrast activated, turn it off (it's found in the Display Settings menu). Oftentimes, dynamic contrast will prevent a monitor from sleeping properly. You'll also find it has better color if you disable Energy Smart, which adjusts brightness based on how many parts of the image have bright areas.

Unfortunately from the way the wording is in the manual, the only way to access the actual screen-off sleep mode is in Windows via the PowerNap application. Your only real hope here is that the setting in that application is retained in the monitor's NVRAM and can be set in Windows and then returned to OS X for normal use. Otherwise, there is no real energy saver mode for this display (Dell really screwed up on that one here as full-off sleep mode is supposed to be included in any display that a manufacturer lists as Energy Star qualified (in other words, Dell lied and cheated and nobody caught them).

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 am 

Dynamic Contrast option is listed but greyed out in Display Options, along with several other items. I believe using DVI disables some of those.

Energy saving is off. As it is I am using the monitor at 33% brightness on a cloudy day outside and it is still a bit brighter than I like. It is about 30% on the energy use bar. At night I have it reduced to 10% which makes it about 3 clicks on the energy use bar. I think when I activated it the energy use and brightness was higher than when I have it deactivated.

No Windows access here unless you count what is probably a 15 year old laptop (20 GB HDD is my recollection) with XP which I only turned on once and that was 4 years ago.

MB: I am connected to the G4 with VGA and could test there, though that won't help with my primary use MacBook for which I only have a minidisplay to DVI converter. I only use the G4 for a few minutes every couple of days so it is 99.9% monitor use over DVI.

VGA sleep with the G4 worked okay under test conditions. It is likely something to do with the DVI and clamshell mode.

Last edited by Limnos on Wed May 25, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:13 am 

Well, if the problem doesn't occur over VGA, you could get a VGA adapter cheaply and just use it instead of DVI.

Also, if you want to test whether it's clamshell mode causing the problem, obv. the easy way to test is to just open up the laptop and then do the same steps. I doubt anything will change but it's I think its worth the diagnostic step.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:13 pm 

Are there not some advantages to using DVI over VGA? Would I notice any quality loss if I did that? Ironically it would then require I use a VGA to DVI adapter to have my G4 plugged in at the same time. Fortunately in the same bunch of garage sales I found one attached to a VGA cable in a free box. :) I would have to buy a minidisplay to VGA cable though.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:22 pm 

In theory the image will be blurrier on VGA vs. DVI however I'll be damned if I can notice a difference these days. I was a digital-only guy up until 5 years ago when I started having to use cheap VGA-only displays at my workplace and couldn't spot the difference.

The only thing I notice is that (on OS X) VGA restricts display orientation, so you can't (for example) rotate the display 90'. You probably could do it with third party software, but OS X only lets you rotate digitally connected displays.

The thing is though you're just trying to figure out what the symptoms are so you can see if there's even any way to work around them, decidingg if you can live with the workaround is a decision that comes later.