XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:08 am 

The fan noise from my G4 tower is finally getting to me. I am very seriously considering a MacMini.

My perfect scenario would be to find a video A/B switch so that I could use my Apple 15" LCD studio display with either computer (there are still a couple of apps I occasionally use under Classic on the G4). If that's not possible, I'd just have to disconnect/reconnect as needed.

But, the bottom line question is: will the LCD studio display plug into/work with the MacMini, or will it require an adapter?

Please feel free to point out any issue you feel related that I may not have considered.

Many thanks, as always!

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Mountain Lion 10.8.3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 am 

New mac mini's have MDP/thunderbolt and HDMI, so yes, I think you'll need an adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:19 pm 

If the 15" LCD Studio display has an ADC plug, meaning it has a single cable the comes out of the display and plugs into the G4, without any separate power cable going into the display, then you'll not only need a DVI displayport adapter, you'll also need a DVI to ADC adapter (DVI to ADC, not ADC to DVI). That adapter is now excessively expensive, with used adapters going for $100, and all that used condition entails (way too many people half-assedly "fixing" their broken equipment prior to sale).

It it has separate power & video cables, then you could get either a VGA or DVI displayport adapter (depending on which video standard it supports) for the Mini and it'll work that way provided you also get some kind of VGA or DVI KVM switch, or move the cable between systems.

FWIW you can get a decent 20"-ish display for around $100 that'll support VGA. A little more than that and you can get a display with both VGA & DVI inputs and you can use the display's controls to switch between them, which is typically cheaper than buying a KVM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 am 

Thanks, psalad and MonkeyBoy.

Yes, my studio display has power and video in a single cable. While I liked the idea of using an A/B switch so I could keep the G4 near my workstation, the cost of everything required would be too much right now. The DVI to ADC adapter you mentioned goes for around $186; maybe I could find one on eBay when the time comes.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 am 

I would give serious thought to, while not necessarily ditching the ADC display completely, getting a 2nd display since it'd either be cheaper than going with the adapter or (if it's the same price) give you some multiple-system functionality you can't get even with the adapter.

I have a 17" ADC display that I thankfully bought one of those adapters for back when they were only $50, but my primary display is a Dell with gobs of inputs and I just flip between systems using a button on the display itself w/o any fuss. The 17" used to be a secondary display for my G4 but first I moved and didn't have room for the ADC in the current office, and then the G4 died, so... I'm not doing anything with it at the moment. I keep meaning to make some room for it, it's just sitting in a corner of my bedroom taking up space for no good reason.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am 

Hmmm... Are you saying there are inexpensive displays for about the same cost as the adapter that can be used with the MacMini?

Without an adapter?

If so, can you recommend one or more?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:48 am 

You will probably need to buy a Mini-Displayport (MDP) adapter no matter which route you go, since HDMI is kind of crummy for displaying text thanks to subsampling and only high-end displays have Displayport ports. If you get the adapter from Monoprice then it should only be in the $20-30 range instead of the $30-$50 range. Note that even if you keep the ADC Studio Display you'd still need a MDP adapter so I'm kind of ignoring this cost.

The adapter I was speaking about is the (now) insanely expensive DVI to ADC adapter. For that price or under you can get a dual-system capable display. I have an Acer on my desk here at work, it's quite nice although the viewing angle isn't perfect (if you view it from the side its very dark, but from head-on its nearly perfect).

This display is currently on sale for $100 w/ free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824009256

I have a V-series display, and although mine has a larger base, the rest looks similar:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824009406

Basically both displays have a DVI port and a VGA port. One system goes into DVI, the other system goes into VGA. To switch between systems you'll either need to hit a dedicated button (my Dell at home has this) or go through the display's menu tree. My Acer here has a dedicated button, but its not made any more.

To go dual display with your G4 you'd need to see if your G4's video card has two ports or just ADC. If it has two ports, see if it's DVI or VGA and get the other kind of MDP adapter for the Mini. If it just has ADC then you'd get one of those (relatively inexpensive) ADC to DVI adapters for the G4 and the MDP VGA adapter for the Mini.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 am 
Master

MonkeyBoy wrote:
You will probably need to buy a Mini-Displayport (MDP) adapter no matter which route you go, since HDMI is kind of crummy for displaying text thanks to subsampling and only high-end displays have Displayport ports.

This is only true on TVs. HDMI is, for digital video, electrically equivalent to DVI. The "subsampling" referred to is chroma subsampling, which on many TVs gives you full resolution only for brightness data, and smears some of the color channel over adjacent pixels, and yes, it looks horrible if you're using such a TV as a monitor: colors are washed out and have weird halos, sharp features look indistinct, etc. But this is the fault of the TV, not the HDMI interface.

I haven't seen many TVs with DisplayPort yet, but I accidentally bought several monitors that have it as one of their inputs (and still frequently accidentally grab the damn DisplayPort cables when I'm looking for HDMI). That said, I've not seen any outside Apple that use mini-DisplayPort, because that would violate the rule that Apple always uses the most obscure video connector.

I've purchased a veritable crate of mini-DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI cables over the last couple years, and I've only spent more than $8 on one occasion, and then only in desperation because I needed it now. Crappy adapters you can buy off Amazon or wherever for $4.99 work well enough. If you have your doubts, buy two that look subtly different from different vendors.

There are a lot of pretty good monitors in the $180-$300 range right now, assuming you don't care about vertical viewing angles, where the color will shift perceptibly when you move your head by an angle of more than about 10° up/down the screen, dramatically at 40°, and wildly at 70° -- but most people don't seem to care. For monitors that don't do this look for the letters "IPS" and expect to pay about $100 more.

I bought several HP ZR2440w monitors (close to $400/ea) and have been very pleased with all of them that didn't smell like they were catching on fire. This monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1200, versus the more common 1920 x 1080. Those extra pixels on the bottom are pretty nice, and if you're looking for a monitor in the 22 - 27" range, I'd weight monitors with taller 1.6 aspect ratio favorably over the latter wider ratio.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm 

Personally I'm still trying to figure out why HannsG installs their TN panels upside down. In other words, if you look down at the panel from on high, looking down at it, the colors get shifted. If you look at them from underneath, voila, perfect colors. I guess they sell a lot of displays to Lilliput?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out why HannsG installs their TN panels upside down.

Are they made on the other side of the world?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:53 pm 
Master

%*@# Austrians!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:01 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

(Not directed at our new Austrian member) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:30 pm 

Though their name sounds quite Austrian, they're a Taiwanese firm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:50 pm 
Master

I'm pretty sure if they're putting their LCDs in upside down they're Austrian. They'd right-side-up down there in Austria. At any rate, I hope they get eaten by a kangaroo or something. I'm pretty sure that's pretty common there. That's what they get!

Also, does anyone know if Kangaroos are venomous? The US public education system failed to inform me of this facet of kangaroo physiology.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Do you mean Australian?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 250AAE8pIl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:06 pm 
Master

All you people in your gleaming ivory towers with your liberal education conspiracies! I know exactly what I meant! But I do have to wonder, if a kangaroo ate a bunch of venomous platypuses, would that make it venomous too?

As an aside, I'm pretty sure sure shrews are also venomous* but they don't live in Austria. They just live in Europe and other countries like it that are right-side-up, except for the ones that live in South America and Africa but those don't count because Hanns-G doesn't make monitors there.

- Anonymous

* No really, that part's actually true!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:17 pm 

Kangaroos may not be venomous, but they sure pack a nasty bite.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I have an Acer on my desk here at work, it's quite nice although the viewing angle isn't perfect (if you view it from the side its very dark, but from head-on its nearly perfect).

This display is currently on sale for $100 w/ free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824009256

Hey MonkeyBoy... I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out the right adapter for this. Newegg can't tell me, and Acer won't talk to anyone unless they have a serial number.

The new Mac Mini has the Mini DisplayPort, and the specs say it will work with a DVI display with the proper adapter. The Acer video display has a DVI connector, but I can't determine whether it's male or female, or whether it's a port on the display itself or on the end of a cable.

Are you able to tell me what configuration adapter (Mini DisplayPort to DVI) I need?

And I'll say here what I just posted in another forum: You folks, here, are the only really reliable source of information these days. Retailers either can't be bothered or they just don't know. It's pathetic and extremely frustrating. I don't enjoy having to start phone conversations seeking product information by saying "Do you want to make a sale or not?"

So... thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:05 pm 
Master

The display has a female DVI port. The Mini Display Port to DVI adapter* will also have a female DVI port. The display that monkeyboy linked to apparently comes with a DVI cable (which will have male connectors), but not all monitors come with a cable so be careful if you buy something else.

- Anonymous

* A representative MDP --> DVI adapter. There are lots of others at varying prices but are all the same in terms of the shape of the connectors.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:03 pm 

Thanks, Anonymous. However I'm now more confused - but not because of anything you said.

According to this page: http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs.html

The Video Support specs for the new Mac Mini are:
Quote:
Thunderbolt digital video output
• Native Mini DisplayPort output
• DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
• VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
• Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

But, further down the specs, under Connections and Expansion:
Quote:
Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
Four USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
SDXC card slot
Gigabit Ethernet port
Audio in/out
IR receiver

...and a photo supports this list. If there's (as they say) "DVI output using Mini DisplayPort..." where is this Mini DisplayPort they're talking about?

I swear, this is about to make my head explode.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:26 pm 
Master

A notable peculiarity of Thunderbolt is that it uses exactly the same connector as Mini Display Port, and that's not all. The Thunderbolt connector also carries Mini Display Port video signals. That means you can plug a Mini Display Port video cable/adapter in to a Thunderbolt connector and your monitor will work.

If you plan to do other things with your Thunderbolt connector and don't want it wasted on a monitor, you can also choose an HDMI --> DVI adapter, which for your purposes will be functionally equivalent.

You can even use both at the same time.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:07 am 

Also, if that particular model of Mini comes with an HDMI port on the back, not via an adapter but straight up HDMI out, it should ship with an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box. I bought two 2010's and they included the adapter, and though Apple may have dropped it to cut costs, I don't know why they would since it's a very small $.50 part.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:41 am 

Many thanks, Anonymous and MonkeyBoy.

Yes, I now see that the Mac Mini ships with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. So, as the display in question has a female DVI port, it would appear that the only thing I'll need is an 'extension' cable to get from the adapter off the back of the Mac Mini, to the port on the display.

(I shudder to ask): Are these cables readily available?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:52 am 

The display should ship with the cable you need, if you're purchasing the display I linked. I can see from NewEgg's (expanded) picture gallery (that you get after clicking on a photo on the product page) it has a female port on the back of the display and ships with a male-to-male DVI cable.

In the event the display doesn't ship with a cable though, you don't want an extension cable - you want a normal DVI cable. The difference is an extension cable has a male connector on one end and a female on the other, and a normal cable has male connectors on both ends. Well, not unless the display you buy is really odd and has a male connector on the back of it, requiring the use of a DVI cable with a female connector, but... most displays have a female connector, which necessitates a male-to-male cable.

As far as a source for cabling, they should be available retail if you absolutely need one immediately, I know Best Buy carries them in my neck of the woods for extremely inflated prices. Purchasing them online though is the way to go if you can stand to wait a couple days:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=10209

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:08 am 

Great! Thanks, MonkeyBoy. Safari was reluctant to open the picture gallery at first, but it finally did.

I appreciate you guys spending the time to help me sort this out.