XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Safari version 5.0.5
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:18 am 

During and after the MacKeeper debacle, I used FAF and ClamXav to dig out suspicious items on the Snow Leopard machine in question. I also scanned the backup disc. Found four infected files on that, they having been backed up from the computer, of course.

Two weird things now, however :

1). There's a problem with Safari. I can't get the Safari Preferences window to open. Selecting Preferences from the Safari menu makes Safari quit. The Pref window doesn't open at all.
I've used the 10.6.8 combo updater to reinstall the system. I assume that this would install a clean version of Safari. I think I'm wrong. I think bad stuff gets carried over. Certainly the Bookmarks do - thank goodness. Same problem persists.
DiskWarrior shows that the directory is in good shape and doesn't need to be rebuilt. Using Disk Utility to repair permissions, there's only one item that sticks out and that's :
Quote:
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Nothing about Safari. Can anyone give a suggestion about what I can try next?

2) In System Preferences, in the bottom most section where 'user' panes (as opposed to those installed with the system) are found, I have Flash Player, and one called MouseLocator. The last one has always had a quirk. When I click on it I get a dialogue box drop down at the top of the Sys Prefs window that says :
Quote:
To use the "Flash Player" preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen.

Fine. Got used to that. Just thought it was a thing that was peculiar to MouseLocator. Now, however, it also happens with the Flash Player pane. Never happened before.

I suppose I'm on guard and suspicious about any differences in behaviour with our machines. i'm stumped about these two things.

[Edit] This isn't just about Safari. I should have worded the topic title differently - sorry.

Post subject: Re: Safari version 5.0.5
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

On ARDAgent.app, that is Apple Remote Desktop, check the Permissions & see if MacKreeper changed them.

On Safari, try moving /Users/YourUserName/Library/SyncedPreferences/com.apple.Safari.plist to the Desktop without Safari running.

On Flash Player, and MouseLocator, right click & remove them if you can reinstall them, might also have to trash this file when Sys Prefs is closed...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

In fact you might try that 1st.

PS. You can edit your title if you wish.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:47 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Oh, also check Sys Prefs>Sharing & see if Remote Management is enabled.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:22 am 

1)
BDAqua wrote:
On ARDAgent.app, that is Apple Remote Desktop, check the Permissions & see if MacKreeper changed them.

I squirreled down to ARDAgent.app and used GetInfo. Permissions (greyed out) shown at the bottom of the GetInfo window under 'Sharing & Permissions' are shown as :
Quote:
system - Read & Write
wheel - Read only
everyone - Read only

2) I quit Safari, removed the com.apple.Safari.plist. Started up Safari. All was well until I opened Safari > Preferences. It seems that clicking on the Security tab causes a problem. The tab stays greyed, looking indented/depressed and won't 'let go' if I try to click on another tab. Safari quits. I then have to open Safari twice before it loads the Home Page. Preferences will not then open, and Safari quits when I try.

3) In Sys Prefs > File Sharing, only File Sharing is checked.

4) Deleted the two pref Panes, Flash and MouseLocator, re-installed and the behaviour persists.

I sense that the nookiller option looms - Erase and Install. Give the whole machine a de-tox, colonic irrigation, wash and rinse. I dread it, but …

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Make a new admin account, log out & into the new one, does it work there?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:50 am 

Good idea! And why didn't I … ? :oops:

Currently I'm using DU on the SL machine to erase the external hard drive that was attached at the time of the MacKreeper episode. It's the zero-out 7 pass job. I've gone all Ron Swanson over this. I'll then use the newly cleansed external to copy over personal stuff in case I decide to Erase the HD on the SL machine for a fresh install.

It'll be Monday before I get the machine back for tinkering.

Cheers, BD.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:11 am 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, good luck! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:15 pm 
Master

For the record, the Flash preference pane does the same thing for me on OS X 10.6. This usually occurs when there's an architecture mismatch between the System Preferences application and the preference pane itself.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:35 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
For the record, the Flash preference pane does the same thing for me on OS X 10.6.

With me, the Flash pref pane's only behaved like this for the past few days, post MacKreepy. The Mouse Locator pane has always behaved like it though. I assumed, in a passive and docile fashion, that that was 'what it was meant to do' and accepted it without query.

What happens now is that whichever of those two panes I click on first demands that Sys Prefs shuts and re-opens. After that, while Sys Prefs is still open, the other pane just opens without fussing.

The erase & re-install route is looming.

Maybe I'm obsessing. Maybe … the computer needs the attention of an exorcist :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:45 am 

System Preferences quits and reopens any time it encounters a system preference that's written in the opposite mode of what it's running in. Typically this means a 32-bit system preference, but it can also be the reverse. I would guess that the Flash system preference is 64-bit and 10.6 is running in 32-bit mode.

I see it all the time with a few legacy open source projects that never got around to writing themselves as 64-bit before they petered out and stopped updating.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 am 

MB, I suspect that MouseLocator is legacy-plus. I looked at the site and the last review was in 2006. But Flash?

How do I find out if SL is running in 32-bit or 64-bit mode?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:29 pm 

Hmm. Good question. I haven't really had to look at 10.6 for a while so I'll see if Google-fu is on my side... aha.
https://www.askdavetaylor.com/snow_leop ... bit_64bit/

Basically go up to the apple menu, select about this mac, more info, select software, and see what it says for 64-bit kernel and extensions. No means 32-bit, Yes means 64-bit.

Edit: Oh. looks like Terminal has an answer too.
http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/07/how-to-t ... w-leopard/

I remember something about holding down 6 and 4 at startup to force OSX into 64-bit mode and 3 and 2 to force it into 32-bit mode. Yup, found it, that's exactly how to temporarily force it into one mode vs. the other.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... y/en375771

There's also a nvram command to permanently switch from one to the other but I figure that's a little more than needed here.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 am 

MB - I apologise for not Googling myself. I seem to being a bit of a fog at the moment. And thanks.

In Sys Profiler > Software > Extensions, the only ones not 64-bit are :

BSDKernel6.0 (Intel) last modified 5/5/2017 13:00 *
CDSDAudiocaptureSupport (Universal)
IOKit6.0 (Intel)
Libkern6.0 (Intel)
Mach6.0 (Intel)
System6.0 (Intel)
* Just above BSDKernel6.0, there is BSDKernel (Universal), date modified same as BSDKernel6.0 and it is 64-bit.

In Sys Profiler > Software > Frameworks it says this about Kernel:

Kernel 10.8.0 01/02/2014 [Kind - blank] 64-Bit [Intel]

Terminal command uname -a returns :
Quote:
Darwin Intel-iMac.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

I guess all of that confirms that SL is running in 32-bit mode.

Safari is running in 64-bit mode. The checkbox for 32-bit, in Safari's GetInfo window, in unchecked.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:57 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Make a new admin account, log out & into the new one, does it work there?

Tried that just now and the problem is still there.
Moreover, in the original Admin account, trying to get the Preferences window in Safari just made Safari quit. I did get the problem with the Security tab in the new Admin account.

The nookiller option clock is ticking and approaching midnight. What a bore.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 am 

If 32 or 64 bit is the key to your system prefs behaviour, then why not try MB's suggestion to boot into 64 bit mode, as per his last link. Avoiding the nuclear option should be the prime objective and I don't think this is related to Mackeeper anyway as I don't see any hackware being advantaged by this variable, rather you are hyper sensitive to any possible unseen effects. Trying the software fix reboot first might be all you need to return to you a normal condition for your 10.6.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:25 pm 

6 and 4 or 3 and 2 only affect that one boot attempt of OS X. If the system refuses to boot or crashes or has issues you can just restart and it'll switch back to whatever normal boot mode it was using.

Mach is the microkernel that lives at the heart of OS X, but if you're booted in 32-bit mode that should be running in 32-bit mode. By switching to 64-bit mode it should then boot Mach in 64-bit mode.

I'll be honest, I kind of remembered most of what I wrote in my previous reply but Googled it all to make sure I wasn't giving you bad advice. It was for my benefit, to refresh that old knowledge, and not intended to be a comment on you using Google. And sometimes my Google-fu is off... it's all about typing in the exact right words into Google to warp its usually spammy searches into useful lists of links.

When I interviewed for a Genius position they really disliked my use of Google, but I don't usually use Google to search for new information, just to sort out what the hell's in my head. I look at a list of search results basically go "no no no no, aha, yes, that's right, that's it" and rinse wash repeat for stuff I don't encounter on a regular basis. They thought I needed Google to find the knowledge, but I use Google to weed out the chaff in my head.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:13 pm 

Thanks again, MB. Google-fu is a whole new area to explore. I find that there are levels of -fu up to Ascended Google Ninja -fu.

I tried to boot into 64-bit mode, using the 4 and 6 keys method, but it didn't work. I tried three times. First time I powered the machine off, removed the power plug from the wall socket and left it for 15~20 minutes. Second and third times I used Restart. Maybe I did something wrong?

I don't think I've ever considered changing the OS from 32 to 64-bit or even been aware of specifically which version the OS is in. Or maybe it's just 'bits' of the OS.

At some point in the past ten years I changed Safari from 64-bit to 32-bit so that my wife could use a site called Sibelius. This site allowed music composition, or maybe just the display of musical notation (I think it's more than that now). At that time it wouldn't display (I think) sheet music with Safari in 64-bit mode. Anyway, that's the only time I ever came across 32/64-bit for consideration.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 pm 

I have Pacifist. How about trashing Safari and extracting a new version from the SL Install disc (then using SW Update to get v 5.0.5 back)?

I tentatively explored this. I guessed I should try and scrape away all the bits of Safari into the Trash first? I tried actually, using App Cleaner, but Safari wouldn't budge.
Is my thinking correct? If so, how should I try to dispose of Safari 5.0.5?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:59 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd try Pacifist.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:36 pm 

Safari is essentially a front-end for the webkit frameworks that live under /Library (I think, if not there then /System/Library). If you replace the app the framework will stay the same, and the framework is what does all the heavy lifting.

Given that 6 and 4 didn't start your system up in 64-bit mode, my guess is that your system doesn't support 64-bit boot. It can still run 64-bit apps, it just can't start in 64-bit by default.

In any case, the bit-ness of a system preference (the individual item in system preferences) is what determines whether system preferences (the app) needs to restart to load a system preference. I would guess that your Flash is either 64-bit or 32-bit, probably 32. Given that Flash hasn't supported 10.6 for a while now you might be stuck at an old version (which can be quite bad and cause your system to get infected just by loading a malicious flash widget, which are typically placed into advertising services by nefarious individuals and rarely, if ever, screened by the service before putting them live and hosted on the wide array of sites that use the service). Flash has been 64-bit for a long time, but the switch probably occurred since they dropped 10.6 support. On the other hand I haven't fired up 10.6 in nearly forever, maybe the "10.9" requirement is just Adobe's way of opting out of tech support, and what's changed is that Flash is now a 64-bit system preference and your system preferences is running in 32-bit mode by default.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:43 am 

Safari will be out of date in 10.6. It's too Internet old. I suggest you use another web browser. Look at Firefox esr and opera [ at one time Opera encapsulated the latest web kit in it's app. ]

Robert

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:29 am 

With my patience a tad frazzled, I finally decided to stop tinkering and went the Nuclear Option, by using Occam's Razor to cut through the Gordian Knot. I did an erase and re-install.

A little paranoid after MacKeeper, and after digging out some infected files from both the external backup drive and the HD of the iMac, I erased the external drive, zeroing it out seven times. That took long enough to give me enforced respite. I then scanned the HD of the iMac, again - enforced leisure. I backed up everything I wanted to keep, including dmg, zip files and so on for the apps I would want to re-install.

I then used Disk Utility from within the SL system disk to erase, and zero (once!) the HD of the iMac. Re-installing was a breeze. Software Updates galore later and it has Safari 5.1.10 installed, which shows no signs of the behaviour dogging the iMac previously. It's a lean and very fast machine for now.

The family member previously mentioned in the other thread ("The thing I have dreaded … ") will, henceforth, only use the up-to-date iMac for her blogging.

I'm whacked.

Edit: So whacked that I forgot my manners. Thank you all for your replies!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:53 pm 

RodF wrote:
With my patience a tad frazzled, I finally decided to stop tinkering and went the Nuclear Option, by using Occam's Razor to cut through the Gordian Knot. I did an erase and re-install.

A little paranoid after MacKeeper, and after digging out some infected files from both the external backup drive and the HD of the iMac, I erased the external drive, zeroing it out seven times. That took long enough to give me enforced respite. I then scanned the HD of the iMac, again - enforced leisure. I backed up everything I wanted to keep, including dmg, zip files and so on for the apps I would want to re-install.

I then used Disk Utility from within the SL system disk to erase, and zero (once!) the HD of the iMac. Re-installing was a breeze. Software Updates galore later and it has Safari 5.1.10 installed, which shows no signs of the behaviour dogging the iMac previously. It's a lean and very fast machine for now.

The family member previously mentioned in the other thread ("The thing I have dreaded … ") will, henceforth, only use the up-to-date iMac for her blogging.

I'm whacked.

Edit: So whacked that I forgot my manners. Thank you all for your replies!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the report! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:53 pm 

Personally I'm always happy to find out what the end result is. So many other forum threads end with people suggesting options and the person never reports back what, if anything, worked.