XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:12 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Mid 2007 iMac, 6GB, 10.10.5

Well, roughly 500 MB Real & 500 MB compressed, it isn't clear to me if they are both the same or not.

I couldn't Force Quit it or even sudo killall by name or PID.

Anyway, I thought I could use another GB free, so I renamed com.apple.softwareupdated.plist to com.apple.softwareupdated.oldplist, which after giving admin PW named it com.apple.softwareupdated.oldplist.plist

Up pops a dialog box telling me a new Launch Daemon com.apple.softwareupdated.oldplist.plist wants to run, I said what the heck... Don't allow!

software updated instantly disappeared from Activity Monitor, as well as the com.apple.softwareupdated.oldplist.plist file from Finder, but Free Mem remained the same!???

I'd completely forgotten I installed BlockBlock, & that was the thing that brought up that dialog, so it was good to see it in action.

Of course I zipped up the original to the Desktop first.

Funny thing bout the App Store, before doing this it showed 5 updates available, afterwords it only showed the ARD update which didn't show up as one of the 5, & of course the App Store has other problems now. :D

Should I put it back?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm 

I'd restore the .plist back to what is was. Have a read of this, though not sure if it is exactly the issue you have.
http://osxdaily.com/2015/07/01/fix-froz ... dated-cpu/

The article shows softwareupdate can be killed in Terminal, and I was surprised you can run software update from Terminal. So I did but there were no new updates probably because I'm on 10.9. By the way I am not experiencing this problem in 10.9 which now is using only 36Mb, so must be something that affects later editions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, will try it, but it wasn't using much CPU, just too much memory for doing nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 pm 

Oh I see, I coming from the wrong angle. I wonder if running the purge command would sort things out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, I put it back, but can't give system ownership!?

In terminal I get...

im24:~ bd1$ softwareupdate -l
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2012 Apple Inc.

Finding available software
Apr 12 22:02:12 im24.local softwareupdate CLI[45039] <Error>: /usr/sbin/softwareupdate: Service connection invalidated!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:48 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
<Error>: /usr/sbin/softwareupdate: Service connection invalidated!

Maybe clear any Littlesnitch contraints placed on softwareupdate, and then rename it back to original .plist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:02 pm 

Renaming the file probably changed the owner/group information.

You could try letting it create a new file. Blockblock probably still has something in its configuration from when you prevented it from creating the plist, which would (at least if I wrote Blockblock) prevent it from using a plist of the same name in the same place. It may even have deleted something related to the process in launchd. Sorry, not that familiar with Blockblock.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:42 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Repairing Permissions got system rights on that file, disabled BlockBlock, restarted, no joy, App Store hangs, not responding...

Quote:
4/12/17 11:47:44.056 PM storeaccountd[681]: ADI: {
"Access-Control-Allow-Origin" = "*";
"Cache-Control" = "private, no-cache, no-store, no-transform, must-revalidate, max-age=0";
Connection = "keep-alive";
"Content-Encoding" = gzip;
"Content-Length" = 414;
"Content-Type" = "text/xml; charset=UTF-8";
Date = "Thu, 13 Apr 2017 06:47:43 GMT";
Expires = "Thu, 13 Apr 2017 06:47:43 GMT";
"Set-Cookie" = "itspod=12; version=\"1\"; expires=Sat, 13-May-2017 06:47:43 GMT; path=/; domain=.apple.com, mzf_in=122398; version=\"1\"; path=/WebObjects; domain=.apple.com; secure; HttpOnly, mzf_dr=0; version=\"1\"; expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT; path=/WebObjects; domain=.apple.com, ns-mzf-inst=36-93-********-107-1-8289-*********-12-st11; version=1; Max-Age=1800; path=/WebObjects/; domain=.apple.com; httponly";
"Strict-Transport-Security" = "max-age=31536000";
"apple-originating-system" = MZFinance;
"apple-seq" = 0;
"apple-timing-app" = "5 ms";
"apple-tk" = false;
"edge-control" = "no-store, cache-maxage=0";
itspod = 12;
pod = 12;
"x-apple-application-instance" = 122398;
"x-apple-application-site" = ST11;
"x-apple-jingle-correlation-key" = ILLHLFJJ**********;
"x-apple-lokamai-no-cache" = true;
"x-apple-orig-url" = "https://p12-buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/adoptionEligibilitySrv?guid=************";
"x-apple-request-uuid" = "42d67595-29d5-a6f4-*****************";
"x-apple-translated-wo-url" = "/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/adoptionEligibilitySrv?guid=************";
"x-frame-options" = SAMEORIGIN;
"x-webobjects-loadaverage" = 163;
}

Downloaded the 10.10.5 Combo, about to reapply it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 am 

Remind me not to play with that file. :shock:

When I installed the latest update to my 10.12 installation on my 2010 MacBook Pro today it installed a firmware update. They haven't had firmware updates for that machine for ages. Long beep, fat progress bar, and everything.

That's actually why I always install Combo updates when upgrading staff machines. So far the most firmware/efi/thunderbolt/etc. updates I've seen are three in a row.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Reminder... MB, don't mess with that file! :P

Wait... BD needs the reminder. :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:22 am 

Based on my previous Softwareupdate constant nag of 'there are updates available, do you want to install them now or later' when I knew full well it was only referring to a gigantic HP printer update that covered all models since inception totalling 500Mb, and always delaying not wanting any of it, hence the nag, Now no longer with an HP, I don't get the reminder.

You mentioned you had five updates available to you.
I'm guessing that your software update is holding all of those five updates in a cache ready to regurgitate them at your command. Well at least before you chucked a bit of gravel in the works. :cry: So my guess to the cause of the memory bloat may be due to those updates.
No solution, just a bit of commentary before bedtime.

I wonder if you copied over the .plist from your most recent backup, to replace the mangled one with an original, might get you back on track.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:34 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Combo update wouldn't install... This Mac doesn't support the upgrade. :(

Used Pacifist to Install just AppStore related stuff, no dice, used Pacifist to Install the whole Combo update... AppStore back working, installed Security update.

5 Updates still showing, software updated using 109.1 MB & zero compressed! :)

Roam, thanks, have lost most of my backup drives due to rain. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, softwared is back upto a GB of RAM, strange thing is... another iMac running a monthly clone of this Mac... softwared isn't even running!?

Not running App Store on either, but not running Safari or Mail on the other one is the biggest diff I see.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:41 pm 

That's intriguing. Are the Sys Prefs > AppStore settings the same in both? i.e is the clone auto checking for updates etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:59 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Oh jeez, let me open my mouth a bit further so I can insert both feet... the clone is running 10.8.5, the problem one is 10.10.5! :oops: :bonk:

I cloned both OSes to the newer iMac. :coffee:

Thanks, due to your query, I was checking Sys Prefs to make sure... NO App Store CP in 10.8.5, the 10.10.5 iMac is unchecked for Updates, iCloud & Notifications were all off before reinstalling the 10.10.5 Combo update Apple turned on all the dozen or so Apple things in Notifications, as well as iCloud Safari & Notes, unchecked them all & WHOOPEE... softwareupdated is no longer running & I have an extra GB of free RAM! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:48 am 

That's very informative that Apple overides your selections. I have noticed in the past that Apple does that with openssl replacing a newer version with their preferred custom hack. But it is their OS, and they can play at will.
Needing to enact post-modifications to an update is a challenge, as their post-default settings are little recorded. At least Flash asks if you want to change your settings during the update. Apple, nah.

One thing I noticed with the yearly cycle OSes is the heavy reliance on caching. Start 10.6 and it is straight forward. Start 10.9 and the HD is just thrashing for minutes: try something and you get the spinning wheel. I can't detail it, but I'm guessing your 10.10 is drowning in cached data having gorged on the internet. Good discovery BD your cancelling that activity frees up your resources.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:35 am 
Benevolent Dictator

And persistant caches too. :(

All premised on the fact that sloppy programming can be mitigated with 2 4 GHz six core XEONs, 96 GB of RAM, 2 TB SSDs, 10 Gigabit Internet... a you only do what Apple wants you to do. :upset:

Yet they'll sell you an updated Mini of 1.4 GHz dual core, 8 GB of RAM, & a painfully slow 2.5" drive. :(

Anybody else remember when we mocked Windows users for having to do updates the size of 1 MB & their biggest fix being to re-install the OS?

Now we have a built-in "feature" of Restoring a 4 GB+ OS that often fails if you use Wifi, even if Wifi is all your Mac has! :whip:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:23 pm 

Sadly turning things back on with a major update is pretty much been par for the course with Apple for a while now.

Remember, you don't own your computer, they're just letting you use it for a while. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:50 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yes indeed... if they were our computers we wouldn't have everything in 2-bit Grayscale! :nothappy:

Somebody has made a thin flexible 1 bit CPU, I think Apple would be very interested in it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:05 pm 

Aren't quantum computers still stuck at 1 bit? Or did they reach 2? Supposed to reach 8 bits in 5 to 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:13 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I don't know, but they've ported Python to Quantum computer emulator!?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:39 pm 

Those crazy Aussies. Glad to know I'll be able to run pyTivo incredibly fast someday via a $5000/mo cloud quantum computing service.

Google claims they're going to have a 49-bit quantum computer by the end of the year. IBM expects to have a system with 50 bits in the next few years, though it'll probably still be a timeshare system like their existing quantum computer.