XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Generally if I want to see if people are complaining about something I will type the name of the thing plus "sucks" or "adware" or something equally descriptive into a search engine....

Great idea - I never would have thought to do that.

I did wonder whether to put any weight to the fact Documents 5 was discussed (recommended???) on cnet and imore - sites that I at least know to be legit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:59 pm 

Success for 50% of the stuff.
NOTES!
I copied the .rtfd documents into notes and they transferred over to the phone and then I was able to take them from Cloud into on my phone - so they are stored on the phone and I can delete them from the cloud.

The .doc in Word with lots of .jpgs added in 2 columns didn't work the same way.
I tried saving as .pdf but it lost the 2 columns.
I'll sort this out sooner or later, right now don't know why the phone wanted Apple ID verification when I woke it up.

And why I got another "missed call" from Israel. I don't answer so it doesn't matter but some scam is going on - a different Israel number from the last one. I'll delete and block (can I block a deleted number?)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:31 pm 

I'm on Android but I just add all the people who call and don't leave messages to a contact whose ringtone is set to silent. So they can call me all they want but it never rings. I can add unlimited numbers to the contact (or at least so many that it's rapidly becoming apparent it may as well be unlimited) so they all just show as a Mr. Ass, first name Jack. The added bonus is that because they all never leave a message I basically never get any real notification that they call beyond the occasional call from Jack showing up in my log.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I'm on Android but I just add all the people who call and don't leave messages to a contact whose ringtone is set to silent. So they can call me all they want but it never rings.....

Nice.
We haven't bothered to set up voice mail - don't want to feel obliged to return calls and on pay-per-call don't want to pay for voice mails. We can see who called.
I've got the phone set for sleep mode, it won't rings outloud when sleeping.
When the phone is awake, I've got it set not to ring unless it's a contact - so I'm covered. But I am accumulating a few unknown calls - the farmer's daughter's family has been quiet (you remember that story) but there have been 2 different Israel callers. I think they are those scam artists I've read about, anyway I'm not picking up the phone for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:31 pm 

Does PAGES need to have my location set?

I opened pages on the phone - still trying for a way to get to those .doc documents (Notes worked fine for .rtfd but not .doc and I turned the .doc into .pdf but it didn't keep the columns correctly - weird.

Anyway, I put the .pdf into the cloud wondering if I could get to it via Pages on the phone.
Opened Pages and it asked if it could access my location when using the app - I backed out of that, but I'm sure it'll ask when I next open it.

Is there any reason Pages needs this???

Then I woke up the phone again and was faced with a new set of terms and conditions for the iTunes store. I had them send me the long terms thing by email so I can read it - too long to read on the phone.
That I assume is a "you gotta agree" kind of thing, yes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:11 pm 

Yes, if you want to keep using the store you have to agree to their latest terms and conditions.

I believe under Settings you can opt individual applications out of location settings, so even if it asks and you say yes you can disable the OS from allowing the app to use it.

Ugh, I think I have a sinus infection now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:14 pm 

I'm late to the party but Dropbox seems the obvious choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:57 pm 

psalad wrote:
I'm late to the party but Dropbox seems the obvious choice.

thanks psalad, I thought of this, of course, but back to my original question:
Mrs H wrote:
What is the easiest way to put several - OK more than several - documents onto the iPhone?

We have train schedules with attachments (created in Word, currently .doc) and city information with photos (in TextEdit .rtfd) that I'd like to get onto the phone. (Yes, we are heading back to Japan)

Is there a way to get the documents onto the phone in a way that will allow us to access that info without being connected the internet, which is to say - without access to iCloud?...

I need to be able to store the documents on the phone - sometimes we are without internet in Japan. I don't know if that's possible with Dropbox (I have an account, but have never used it).

I'm still leaning toward Documents 5
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documen ... 01807?mt=8
But I don't know.
Evernote was suggested, but reviews of the latest version are less than stunning.

I have to figure this out soon because I've got to learn how to get docs into the manager once I decide what one to use.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:32 am 

Yes Dropbox allows you to select documents for offline access.

I used it for something very similar on my travels. Itineraries, maps, etc all get posted to Dropbox and marked for offline access. Done. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:44 pm 

psalad wrote:
Yes Dropbox allows you to select documents for offline access.

I used it for something very similar on my travels. Itineraries, maps, etc all get posted to Dropbox and marked for offline access. Done. ;)

Gobsmacked! Why didn't I think of this - it seems so simple.

So the offline access docs are then saved somewhere (dropbox app?) on the iPhone?
I see that Dropbox supports .rtf (and .rtfd?) and .doc and .pdf - so that's all good.

BUT - how do I get to read/access these documents - does the dropbox app include a reader/viewer that allows me to do this?
As you can tell, I haven't a clue what I'm doing here.

I don't need to edit or write on the docs once we are on the road. I just need to see them when not connected to the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:11 pm 

Been doing a lot of looking and reading.
Seems like this might work - will give it a try.

First need to sort out my Safari question - but that's another story.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:32 pm 

Update on how things are going:

.doc documents with multiple pasted .jpg's per page of train schedules worked fine by way of Dropbox.

.rtfd produced the message to the effect of preview doesn't work for this type file - look at this list of file types that do work.

Notes worked for the rtfd documents just fine.
Also I'll explore Evernote I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the update! :)