XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:05 pm 

What is the easiest way to put several - OK more than several - documents onto the iPhone?

We have train schedules with attachments (created in Word, currently .doc) and city information with photos (in TextEdit .rtfd) that I'd like to get onto the phone. (Yes, we are heading back to Japan)

Is there a way to get the documents onto the phone in a way that will allow us to access that info without being connected the internet, which is to say - without access to iCloud?

I think I can convert the documents to .pdf if I have to, but whether or not they'll be readable on the phone I don't know.

I think I've read that Pages, Numbers and iBook all need internet to access anything we put figure out how to put there.
What about Notes? And can I put documents there?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:32 pm 

I use an app called File Viewer made by Concrete Software. It lets you view DOCs, XLSs, PDFs, and other types of files.

You get the files onto the iDevice by opening the app and enabling file transfer mode, which essentially runs a web server on the iDevice that you can upload files to using a desktop computer. Once you're done uploading the files turn transfer mode off and you can view the files from now until the end of time in File Viewer on that iDevice.

This is purely for viewing files. If you want to edit them you need a different app. And remember each app is a walled garden, so you can't take a DOC out of File Viewer and open it in Word, for instance. Word and File Viewer have separate gardens, no going between gardens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:48 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I use an app called File Viewer made by Concrete Software. It lets you view DOCs, XLSs, PDFs, and other types of files.

...Word and File Viewer have separate gardens, no going between gardens.

Thanks MB, looks very promising esp for those Word .doc files - though it does say this about Word: "*** - Basic text and formatting supported, not advanced formatting or graphics" Mr H has pasted screen shots (in .jpg) into word docs for our train schedules. I'll just have to try - I hope that's not advanced formatting.

File Viewer shows among the 60 file types http://macfileviewer.com/file_types .rtf - but not .rtfd which I've used to copy web pages for site locations along with photos.

I wonder if Pages (already a built in app on my iPhone) could be used for this?
I tested opening an .rtfd document and a Word .doc with .jpg train schedules in screen shots into Pages and it worked just find. Now to test if I can go from thence to the phone?

I found this https://support.apple.com/kb/PH3598?locale=en_US
I think this is saying I can move documents from Pages to the phone via iTunes - without having to go through iCloud.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:06 am 

I'm going to have to experiment with this.
The apple guy on the phone helping me with the iPhone on another issue, said my older pages in Mavs won't be recognized by the phone in iTunes to copy it that way.
He suggested trying Adobe Reader app, but I don't know if I like that idea.
He discouraged me from any App that's not apple approved. What's that all about???

What about sending myself an email and copying the doc from the email into Pages on the phone? or Notes?
This will take some time.

(All this keeps me from focusing on what's going on here and in the world which is just too awful)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:51 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
He discouraged me from any App that's not apple approved. What's that all about???

If it's not Apple approved they know nothing about how it works.

If it is Apple approved they know nothing about how it works, but get a 30% cut.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:25 am 

If an app is in the app store, it's Apple approved.

Adobe Reader is an option but that only works for PDF files.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:49 am 

So if it's in iTunes, maybe it's OK?

This looks like it will work with both .rtfd and .doc documents.

Question is - can I store the documents on the phone or only in iCloud? (aka what if we are out in the boonies and can't connect)
documents 5:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documen ... 01807?mt=8
more here:
https://www.labnol.org/software/documen ... pad/17456/
and here:
https://helpspot.readdle.com/documents/ ... book&id=12

I tried their contact us, but couldn't get it to work - even when I allowed it in noscript.
Can someone with some spare time - please - take a moment and read about the app in one of the links above and see if it appears to allow me to save the documents on the phone?
I don't know what words to look for but I can't seem to find that info.

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:49 pm 

EDIT to add:
so if it's in iTunes it is something that should work - whether or not it will do what I want it to is another story of course.
(see above please)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:43 pm 

I finally found a contact us for the app.
I asked. They answered:
"Sure"

So, I can save the documents I described onto the phone.

Problem solved ... once I learn how to download and use an app! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:15 pm 

Well, File Viewer doesn't use iCloud. It stores data in its garden on the phone, because it existed before iCloud. And you don't use iTunes to put the files into the app.

I don't know what the app you found will do. Its up to the app developer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:04 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well, File Viewer doesn't use iCloud. It stores data in its garden on the phone, because it existed before iCloud. And you don't use iTunes to put the files into the app...

Thanks MB for getting back here (hope you are feeling better)

I'd love to use File Viewer - but it looks like it doesn't work with .rtfd
But, I just saw that it does use .doc - hopefully with embedded photos.
So I'm going to stick with your tried and true recommendation - I'd much prefer to use something you recommend than fly blind on something I just found. So I can get the app and learn how to get the docs into it - probably having to changing the .rtfd to .doc - from Mavs MBP into the phone - sync? copy? I'll learn. Is is simply a matter of getting the app via App on the iPhone and then... it'll have info on how to get docs into it...

I can do this...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

.rtfd is just a folder containing the text, pics, gifs, etc., perhaps on the Mac you can Right click show contents, here with "Plist150408.rtfd", I get…

TXT.rtf
1__#$!@%!#__449-30009172.jpg
1__#$!@%!#__449-oem-box-1.jpg
1__#$!@%!#__av1.gif
449-30009172.jpg
449-oem-box-1.jpg
av1.gif
CjSjl.jpg
happy.png
happy.gif
1__#$!@%!#__happy.gif
knowndnschangeraddresses.png
1__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
2__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
3__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
4__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
5__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
6__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
7__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
8__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
9__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
10__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
11__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
12__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
13__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
14__#$!@%!#__unknown.gif
unknown.gif
unknown.png

Or maybe File viewer can open Packages???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:11 pm 

I would just open the rtf/rtfd files and save them out as doc. Apple's formats are unfortunately very proprietary and often don't even work within their own ecosystem (this includes things like Pages & Numbers). Of course once you get them in a standardized format like doc then the possibilities open up.

Another option would be to print them to PDF, which should make them very portable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:23 pm 

The pages in .rtfd look like what you see here below (sort of - [they don't say 4807_nishi.jpg ... under the picture, but I couldn't get rid of that and the pix is to the left of the description, not above it ]) many times multiplied - with pix and description of numerous places - some with maps or bus time tables. Ditto for the .doc documents - train schedules copied in .jpg screen shots from a Japanese train sched website and pasted into a .doc document.

I like the idea of just making the .rtfd documents into .doc and then using MB's recommended File Viewer app.
I never use Pages but thought it might be a solution since it was on the iPhone and on the MBP (but an older version on the MBP and Apple guy said forget it - or update your MBP to Sierra - yeah, sure!)

Attachment:
4807_nishi.jpg
4807_nishi.jpg [ 20.73 KiB | Viewed 831 times ]

Nishi Park (Nishi Koen) Late March to early April
10-15 minute walk north of Ohori Koen Station
Admission: Free
Nishi Park is one of Japan's 100 best cherry blossom spots. Over a thousand cherry trees are located on the hillside park, which is also the site of Terumo Shrine, the family shrine of Fukuoka's former feudal lords. The park provides green space for picnics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:08 pm 

Stupid question - I can't manage to find File Viewer by Concrete Software to download for the iPhone - and where to read how to use.

I am sure I read/saw it yesterday but I can't retrace my steps and find it again.

Is this it?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/file-vi ... 7613?mt=12

But this comes from Sharpened Productions, and yours MB is made by Concrete Software.

Is this the right one?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:39 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Pretty strange, says it's free…

https://sensortower.com/ios/au/concrete ... 331933924/

But I don't trust the download site…

http://tiorhythtulough.cba.pl/pdf-word- ... tware.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:53 am 

Thanks, BDA, looks pretty dodgy to me too. I'll not get it there!

I found this http://www.concretesoftware.com/web/ for the Concrete Software company but it looks like only games on a quick view.

Maybe they don't make File Viewer anymore.

I'll just have to wait for MB to return and see if the one I found on app store is the new iteration of the one he's recommending:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/file-vi ... 7613?mt=12

Maybe Concrete Software sold it to Sharpened Productions?

Hopefully MB will recognize - or not - the description from my app store link and say this is - or isn't - the one.

I'll wait a few days...
There is always that Documents thing I found if this one https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/file-vi ... 7613?mt=12 is not recommended and MB's is no longer available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:35 pm 

I think this is the one:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-word-e ... 33924?mt=8

But I can't verify it right now because I don't have iTunes installed on this system so it won't interpret itunes links. I know this is very curmudgeonly of me, but I remember when Apple would at least show you basic information about the thing you're looking at in a web browser. If you wanted to buy it then you had to go over to iTunes or the app store or whatever. Bah.

I'm pretty sure I had to buy the app, it was available in a free version but there was some downside to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:53 pm 

Well, whatever it was that I found its listed as not available from the US store. Every avenue I find to locate File Viewer online shows me nothing... Concrete Software appears to solely publish games now and has pulled its utilities from iTunes. Since I already purchased it I'm grandfathered in and can continue to download it until it's no longer compatible with my system or gets pulled from the store for some reason.

Sorry, I thought it would still be available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:01 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
... Concrete Software appears to solely publish games now and has pulled its utilities from iTunes. Since I already purchased it I'm grandfathered in and can continue to download it until it's no longer compatible with my system or gets pulled from the store for some reason.

Sorry, I thought it would still be available.

Thanks for trying.

That's what I found as well about CS.
Did you look at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/file-vi ... 7613?mt=12
Is that possibly the same thing with a new 'publisher' (if that's the word).
Maybe my best bet is Documents 5 - though the one with the link above does seem to have many many more reviews.

I did write and ask Doc 5 about what I wanted to do and they said it could be done without iCloud and I could save docs on the phone. I just wish I could find more reviews of the product.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:17 pm 

That appeared to be a Mac app, not an iPhone/iPad app. I'd check but I'm updating iTunes right now on my Mac and its just sitting there grinding away at the installation phase...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:23 pm 

Well, if you print to PDF on the Mac you can then open them in Adobe Reader on the iPhone. I don't have a current iOS handy so I don't know if current versions of Adobe Reader have changed things, but in my versions they also use their local garden for sharing files. The only way I got files into that garden though was to email them to myself and then open the attachment on the phone in Reader...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:35 pm 

Yes I wondered about sending all the docs as emails to myself and then copying them - into Notes maybe which I've been told lives on the phone even when one isn't connected to the cloud.

This app does seem to do what I want - or so they say when I wrote them and asked, but how can I check to see if it is a good/safe app?
I am so new to this my mind set is don't trust anything, but...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documen ... 01807?mt=8

It's mentioned here:
http://www.imore.com/documents-5-readdl ... ays-wanted
and here:
http://download.cnet.com/Documents-5-Fa ... 78821.html
and here:
https://www.labnol.org/software/documen ... pad/17456/

I just don't know if any of these is a trustworthy site. Well cnet is known to me and I have run into imore a bit, but trust them to write a fair review on a safe/useful app?
Help, me evaluate this if you have the time, please.

I hate to keep bugging you about this MB, but you know stuff and I don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

One way to see the trustworthiness of rating sites is to see what they say about Clean My Mac… if they like it then there is no trust there, only bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:42 pm 

Generally if I want to see if people are complaining about something I will type the name of the thing plus "sucks" or "adware" or something equally descriptive into a search engine. Sometimes you don't end up anywhere special but if that piece of software is particularly annoying or infectious then you can find people talking about just how horrid it is. You've got to kind of take it with a grain of salt because, like reviews, there are sponsored/jury-rigged results in search engines of fake information (don't put it over some scumbag app developer maligning his competition), but those are usually kind of easy to spot.