XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:33 am 

A couple of bugs that repeatedly arise.

#1 I was just browsing Console. I see:

18/1/17 10:03:02.203 mds[37]: (Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7f859b8e7000 Open failed. failureCount:0 (null)
18/1/17 10:03:17.264 mds[37]: (Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7f859c022600 Open failed. failureCount:1 {
DisabledRecycleCount = 1;
}
18/1/17 10:03:50.302 mds[37]: (Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7f859b8e6000 Open failed. failureCount:2 {
DisabledRecycleCount = 2;
}
18/1/17 10:04:51.776 mds[37]: (Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7f859ba4ec00 Open failed. failureCount:3 {
DisabledRecycleCount = 3;
}

Spotlight up to its old tricks. Need I worry? I am getting this kind of cluster of mds error messages every 5-10 minutes in Console.

The reason I ask is:

#2) I am still getting daily problems with folders in Finder. Not always. These things can happen, then I repeat them and they behave perfectly well.

-I have cases where I use an application to create a file in a folder, then go to Finder to look at the folder. Sometimes the Finder says the folder has 6kb and opening the folder shows an empty folder, but I know from looking in the folder from another application there's many files in it and they take up several GB.

-I use a different application and it creates files in a folder but using the disclosure triangle shows no contents although the Finder list view says there's 15 MB (or whatever) of content. I drag a file to this folder and it now says it has 18MB but only shows the single file I added, not the others. I can use an Applescript to move the files, but come on, that's the job of Finder!

-I drag a folder with 2 files from one folder to another folder that has its contents disclosed in list view. I click on the disclosure triangle for the folder I just moved and no contents appear.

Changing view mode (e.g., to icons) does not help. Opening the folder in a new window shows no content. Quitting Finder does not help. Logging out and back in does but that is a big chore as I sometimes have tasks that need to run uninterrupted for several hours, and I always have many applications and files open.

So in general I seem to have a really buggy Finder. It isn't just one application doing this, and it is sporadic. Verifying the hard drive reports no issues, repairing permissions okay. I have done a web search but most of the Mavericks Finder problems seem to be related to update lags (I can leave it for 20 minutes and the problems are still there) or a very specific issue that was with an intermediate Mavericks release.

Sometimes it seems it is the Finder directory since the folder size listing is off (showing 6kb instead of 4 GB), but at other times it seems the files just aren't being shown.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Sometimes the Finder says the folder has 6kb and opening the folder shows an empty folder, but I know from looking in the folder from another application there's many files in it and they take up several GB

Hmmm, were those Apps installed under a different user or UUID?
Quote:
(Warning) Volume: vsd:0x7f859b8e7000 Open failed. failureCount:0 (null)

Do you have CD or DVD inserted?

How about an etrecheck report?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:41 pm 

2 of them might have been, one definitely not. It doesn't explain inconsistent behavior, working at times and not at others. Nor does it explain why it can even happen with a Finder move.

There may have been a DVD in the drive this morning. I have Console open and I am keeping an eye on it.

Last edited by Limnos on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:52 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Keychain is a funny thing, no telling which ID or PW it's going to use where, when, if you have more than 1 entry for anything... & later OSX updates can really mess with PWs & rights. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:08 pm 

I had not the same problem but perhaps similar, in not being able to drag between windows.

Have a look in ~Library/Preferences/ for additions to the standard com.apple.finder.plist. Look for a file or files with that name plus additional characters. Now what these are I don't know, and maybe it is something to do with me running XtraFinder but I found a bunch of these accompanying the 'original' com.apple.finder.plist and trashed these variations. Then logged out and back in again just to reboot Finder and that solved my problem.

This is in Mavs 10.9.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:39 am 

BDAqua: I just looked at Keychain. I don't see how it plays any role in an application I use to edit a music files saving files to a folder, or in my dragging files from one folder to another in the same Finder window.

roam: I looked at Preferences and there's only the one Finder preferences file. I think those others must be related to your utility.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:06 pm 

Oh right, must be my XtraFinder making these.
Finder did change in Mavs at least with the new feature of Command+T to create a new navigatable window within the existing one, handy for moving files. I needed to get the hang of which Finder tab to click on to use source and destination correctly, but haven't experienced your difficulty.
When one of these snaffus happen, and you don't want to log out and back in, maybe use Force Quit - Finder to relaunch it, as a workaround.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:27 pm 

Quote:
Quitting Finder does not help. Logging out and back in does but that is a big chore as I sometimes have tasks that need to run uninterrupted for several hours, and I always have many applications and files open.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:07 pm 

OK. over and out.