XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:33 am 

Now no longer shutting the Mac mini down at night, but instead logging out and putting it to sleep, there was a strange occurrence yesterday. After waking the mini and logging in, I went about things as I normally do and, at one point, I remembered I'd been working on a document in Microsoft Word the evening before. So I clicked Word's icon in the Dock and it immediately became visible, including the document I'd been working on.

Usually, before logging out and sleeping the computer, I'll Command-Tab to check if any apps are running. I may have forgotten to do that the night before. But wouldn't logging out automatically quit any open applications or, at least, alert me that they're still running?

In odd cases like this, is it a good idea to figuratively splash cold water in the computer's face with a restart? Meaning, if normal practice is to log out and sleep rather than shut down, should there (n)ever be a need to restart?

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:29 am 

I think what you're seeing is their latest iteration of application persistence, which basically saves an application's state and reopens it exactly as it was. To my knowledge this requires support from the application itself, so older apps don't do it but newer apps will. Its certainly disconcerting the first time you see it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 am 

That's pretty nifty, I suppose. But this is Word 2011 which, after opening a document from a given directory, won't even bring you back to the same directory when you try to open another document. And it doesn't provide an option to do that, either. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of forward thinking over there. ;-)

No big deal, of course. I'll see if it happens again.

Thanks, MB!

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:44 am 

Well, 2011 is still seeing updates, so maybe they added support for application persistence into one of the service packs. I just updated a 2011 system to what they called service pack 3 yesterday. I think this particular feature has been around since Mavericks or Yosemite, so they've had at least a couple years to add support.

Every time I see the feature I generally grumble about how that feature has to add time to the boot/login process, which is why they're trimming out useful logging during startup/login. The useful features get tossed, features that aren't particularly useful get kept. :roll: