XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 10.11 headache
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:01 pm 
Master

In any of your Library --> Preferences folders (/Library, /System/Library, ~/Library) do you have any files with names that begin (or that match exactly -- but hey, same thing, I'm a programmer) com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist? How about any preferences that contain AppleHIDMouse?

If so, have you tried deleting them?

You could also try this (not sure if sudo needed) then logout and log back in:
defaults -currentHost write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.swapLeftRightButton -bool true

...or failing that:
defaults -currentHost write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.swapLeftRightButton -bool false

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:34 pm 

com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist

By golly, there it is in my user prefs. I'm on the iMac, will try trashing it, and doing the defaults one at the Mini tomorrow. Thanks, one of the first things I thought of doing when all this started was finding and trashing some mouse plist.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Button1</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Button2</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Button3</key>
<integer>3</integer>
<key>Button4</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>Button4Click</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Button4Force</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>ButtonDominance</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>ScrollH</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>ScrollS</key>
<integer>4</integer>
<key>ScrollSSize</key>
<integer>30</integer>
<key>ScrollV</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:43 am 

Results: trashing the plist in my user doesn't do any good. After entering settings for mouse in sys prefs, just get a new one with the same setting as before with same problem. HOWEVER,

defaults -currentHost write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.swapLeftRightButton -bool true

Appears to work (at least after one restart and one safe boot--lately, a single safe boot would almost always cause this issue, so this is looking good.) Logging out and back in not sufficient to make that stick. Needs a restart. Didn't require sudo--at least I didn't get a message that the command needed root.

Seeing that the file was successfully edited to true from false:

</dict>
<key>com.apple.mouse.swapLeftRightButton</key>
<true/>

Had no idea that this particular plist was the culprit (for starters, it's hidden, no idea why) or that editing it was the solution.

I salute you for your great help, as does my right index finger, which naturally wants to spend its time more at the right side of the mouse. (Assuming one is right-handed and keeps the mouse to the right of the keyboard--something that would seem to apply to more of the user population than not--I don't understand why Apple makes the default the opposite, since right-clicking (my left-click) is needed so much less frequently.*)
Hoping this lasts through other restarts/safe boots.

Thanks again.

*I suppose it may justifiably be argued that I am guilty of generalizing as "natural" what is only my individual hand-on-mouse/index finger preference

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:29 pm 
Master

You're probably a better person than me, but if it had been me this might have saved my middle finger too.

Glad it helped, so far...

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:31 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Just checked my working setup that works after login…

/private/var/db/securityagent/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist was changed but had no such entry.

~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist was not changed & had no such entry.

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/.GlobalPreferences.00000000-0000-0100-8000-001E569A621C.plist was changed & had that entry.

Terminal command not used here, just Sys Prefs.

This just for clarity on the issue, no help to you WZZZ. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:26 pm 

A new wrinkle on this:

Did new safe boot to test, damn clicks got reversed again, restarted out of safe boot (using left click to select restart button), stayed reversed at new login window. BUT upon logging in normally, things were back to MY left/right setting. Had a look at the .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.swapLeftRightButton entry, saw that it was still set to True. However, found 4 or 5 other plists in ByHost, one with the current UUID of the iMac, going back to '09-'10. Moved that one and several others with swapLeftRight false to the Trash and next safe boot stayed good.

Theory: not sure why safe boot makes it happen, but mabe its corresponding cache gets cleared and then the Mini gets confused about which of those plists to use.

Fingers crossed again now it lasts.