XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am 
Benevolent Dictator

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4504160?tstart=0

I assume that's what they used...
Quote:
All - my 2005 iMac G5 motherboard finally failed (leaking caps) and I can't boot. I just bought a new mac-mini with OSX Mountain Lion. The files on my G5 were backed to an external HD using the Backup software (umbrella icon) that was part of Tiger OSX. All the files on my external HD are just backup files from the Backup software. I didn't copy files to the ext HD directly (I wish I had!). Key Files are MS-Office files, and iTunes. Is there a way to xfer the files to my new mac-mini? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:58 am 

Don't have time to check the link (General strike tomorrow and I have to take the early train into Barcelona) but I don't remember any umbrella icon in Tiger. I suppose he could try running SL through a virtual machine, load the software that way (if it runs) and rescue the files.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, thanks for the suggestion. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 pm 

He could pull the SATA HD out of the G5 and plug it in - via USB to SATA bridge - to the Mini, then use the Migration Assistant to move files & accounts and everything else over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, I was wondering if MA would recognize whatever they used with Backup.app.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:39 pm 

I don't believe so. In fact I don't remember Backup.app at all.

MA can handle the iMac's HD, if he can get it cracked open and connected externally.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:03 pm 
Master

The backup application was supported until last year as part of...oh God whatever Apple was calling their online services until most recently. I didn't realize the application backed up in a proprietary format (I never used it). That sucks. I absolutely would not use Apple software to back up my data, nor to do anything with data I might ever care about in the arbitrarily distant future, if it involved an undocumented proprietary format. Apple's attention span isn't long enough to guarantee data will be recognizable in the future. (And yes, this applies to iWork applications and software like Aperture -- at least with the latter some of the raw data are stored in a partially accessible package).

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Indeed, can anybody reach me on my dot mac addy for life???

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 am 

I think Apple did something similar with its OS9 Security Tool which allowed you to encrypt files. AFAIK they never produced an OSX native application to decrypt those files later. I have big issues with file formats and hope that some day governments get around to introducing legislation to keep documents accessible 'forever'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:30 am 
Master

They could at the very least release specification for the file format. It's not like they need it anymore. It's abandoned, so release the spec.

Another positive upside of that approach would be that developers might be slightly more likely to design a file format specification, a task it seems they sometimes approach rather haphazardly (brow furrowed in Microsoft's direction circa 1995).

As for decrypting those files, I can't help you, but if you wan to encrypt files on OS X it's pretty easy with OpenSSL:
openssl <cipher> -salt -in <path to file to encrypt> -out <path specifying where file should be saved>

Where <cipher> is one of: aes-128-cbc, aes-128-ecb, aes-192-cbc, aes-192-ecb, aes-256-cbc, aes-256-ecb, base64, bf, bf-cbc, bf-cfb, bf-ecb, bf-ofb, camellia-128-cbc, camellia-128-ecb, camellia-192-cbc, camellia-192-ecb, camellia-256-cbc, camellia-256-ecb, cast, cast-cbc, cast5-cbc, cast5-cfb, cast5-ecb, cast5-ofb, des, des-cbc, des-cfb, des-ecb, des-ede, des-ede-cbc, des-ede-cfb, des-ede-ofb, des-ede3, des-ede3-cbc, des-ede3-cfb, des-ede3-ofb, des-ofb, des3, desx, idea, idea-cbc, idea-cfb, idea-ecb, idea-ofb, rc2, rc2-40-cbc, rc2-64-cbc, rc2-cbc, rc2-cfb, rc2-ecb, rc2-ofb, rc4, rc4-40, seed, seed-cbc, seed-cfb, seed-ecb, seed-ofb, or zlib, although some of those will do neither what you expect nor anything useful in this context. I recommend aes-128-cbc.

To decrypt:
openssl <cipher> -d -in <path to file to decrypt> -out <path specifying where the decrypted file should be saved>

NOTE: I suspect but cannot immediately prove that openssl generates the AES encryption key using the sha1 hashing algorithm. Your mileage may vary.

- Anonymous