XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

OS X 10.7
I am currently running OS X 10.7 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I am not running 10.7 but plan to upgrade 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
I am currently running 10.7 but plan to revert to another version 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I do not plan to run 10.7 58%  58%  [ 15 ]
I would like to run 10.7 but my computer does not support it 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: OS X 10.7 Survey
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:46 pm 
Master

Poll...

Post subject: Re: OS X 10.7 Survey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:22 am 

This poll really needs another option as the listed ones do not apply to somebody like me. A "I boot Lion for very specific tasks, but use an older OS for everything else" option is very apt for many of us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:08 pm 

Where's the "Until Lion gets the Official Squishy Stamp of Approval™, I'll Wait" option?

For now, I'll stick with Snow Leopard, which is working just fine for me and Logic Studio...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:14 pm 
Master

Unfortunately, a few scenarios had to be left off the poll in order to collect aggregate data. I thank everyone for their patience as we work past this shortcoming.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:32 pm 

Well at least I'm no longer alone in "I would like to run 10.7 but my computer does not support it" land.

Doesn't mean I'd want to use 10.7 in it's current state, but I'd give anything a look-see, especially since I'm already fielding a ton of calls from people who upgraded and are having trouble... I went from 10.4 to 10.5.0/10.5.1 then back to 10.4 but eventually did move up to 10.5 once they got the worst of the stupid worked out.

Just seems like there's an awful lot of stupid to work out this time around, so it could be a while for me... of course if I can't find a 10.6-supported Mini when I'm finally ready to pounce, it could be a VERY long time...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:15 pm 
Master

At least a lot of the stupid in 10.5 was mostly just bugs with a healthy dash of "oh yeah, I guess that does suck," as opposed to the intentional product of carefully calculated fundamental low-level design decisions, as seems to be the case in 10.7.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Safari is now an integral part of Lion & cannot be deleted or even have the name changed! :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:28 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Safari is now an integral part of Lion & cannot be deleted or even have the name changed! :(

Does this sound like Windows and IE from a few years ago to anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Looks worse so far, not sure 10.7.2 will change things or not, but I suspect even more closures & tighter control from Apple, elstwise what else could be in it for Apple when you can now install one copy of Lion on as many Macs as you wish!?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:30 pm 

i'd only change for the new mail.app

but i can't afford to have bugs and incompatibilities hinder my workflow right now. if it ain't broke, don't fix it... :g3: :cube: :g4: :macmini: :g5:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:13 am 

I'm making do with Lion, it wouldn't make me not want to buy a new Mac. Although it is a no-go at work due to the lack of Rosetta.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:04 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
i'd only change for the new mail.app

Hmmm, what is it about the new mail app you like, for me it's many steps backwards, but I've a few other comments like yours & can't for the life of me wrap my head around why!?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:40 am 

All I know is (I don't have a Lion install yet) I really liked it the times I've played with it. The full screen idea actually seemed to work surprisingly good for my workflow. I will reserve full judgement until after I've run it through the paces.

At this point it is what it is. I'm personally jazzed to install it as soon as the showstopper bugs are fixed (which is what always happens to me with any .0 release). I'll approach it with my usual optimism and open mind. I'm waiting for my main apps to be certified on it (audio and video apps).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:17 pm 

The new Mail.app seems particularly "funny" in regards to working with Exchange servers. Detects it's an Exchange server (probably through server headers), defaults to using NTLM authentication, can't actually use NTLM authentication, have to walk people through switching it to Password authentication, then sometimes it works with SSL but other times it won't so I have to get them to flip off SSL too, then flip SSL off on SMTP as well... meanwhile 10.5/10.6 had no problem with NTLM (or Password) or SSL.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:57 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The new Mail.app seems particularly "funny" in regards to working with Exchange servers. Detects it's an Exchange server (probably through server headers), defaults to using NTLM authentication, can't actually use NTLM authentication, have to walk people through switching it to Password authentication, then sometimes it works with SSL but other times it won't so I have to get them to flip off SSL too, then flip SSL off on SMTP as well... meanwhile 10.5/10.6 had no problem with NTLM (or Password) or SSL.

This is almost certainly related to Apple's "in-house" version of Samba. Lion ditched SMB and even the latest Linux kernels don't have the capability to connect to Lion booted Macs via Samba yet. Being as Exchange server is a Windows/IIS entity, you can thank Apple for breaking something that anybody who shares a network printer or PC on their LAN will tell you didn't need to be borked.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:53 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Hmmm, what is it about the new mail app you like, for me it's many steps backwards, but I've a few other comments like yours & can't for the life of me wrap my head around why!?
exchange 2010 support and the new widescreen layout. previously i was using the letterbox plugin to approximate the same functionality. i really like the way it looks now. the university i work for decided to switch everyone's email on the backend to exchange 2010 a few months ago. my hope is that this version will play nicer, but i could be mistaken there

i'm kinda torn cuz i'm a latest and greatest type guy. love having the latest shit even if it's pointless. been following OS X since it's inception. ran every iteration since 10.0. i just don't see the big deal about lion. i've used it and it feels exactly like snow leopard in every major way. i feel like a lot of the interface 'improvements' are a step backward

i also voted for 'will eventually switch'. i think that might be in the next month or 2. just cuz i feel like im one version behind even though that doesn't mean anything (it's a sickness)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:17 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, if you're around LDAP, you might wish to see this...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/26 ... rity_hole/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:06 am 

I'll move to Lion but not because I want to or because I particularly like it. At some point I will be arm twisted into upgrading to get some functionality that I need but until then I'm staying with Snow Leopard and when Lion time arrives I'll dual boot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 pm 

Quote:
i've used it and it feels exactly like snow leopard in every major way. i feel like a lot of the interface 'improvements' are a step backward

Try dealing with autosave and resumes. In ANY corporate environment or any environment with classified data/NDAs that prohitib any physical copies at all, Lion patently violates such and/or creates a MASSIVE security hole. Resumes you can partially disable (it still writes Resumes data to the Autosave Information directory unless you lock it, which is usually not a good thing to do anywhere in ~/Library. Autosave, you can't disable at all. Nobody's found a workaround for it yet, and it's a REAL frustration when you do things like open a text doc, copy/paste from clipboard and enlarge or modify to make it readable, and the OS autosaves into the previously opened document. I've had it happen often enough (read: every time I'm doing a forum copy/paste/edit session) that I basically said Fuck You to Lion and only now boot into it if I absolutely must, and that will be solely for World of Warcraft once the cursor bug gets fixed.

I don't mind extra features, but if you have zero control over them and they impact your workflow, productivity, or user control, then it is not worth it. And Lion does all three in short order. Plus Lion has massive issues with SMB (as in it doesn't HAVE SMB, it has some half-baked shit Apple crapped into the system that doesn't even work with the latest Linux kernels), so if you network printers/computers that aren't Macs, you're going to be in for one hell of an IT headache.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:48 am 

I can't entirely fault them on SMB, except for not keeping it in house long enough to work the kinks out, because the Samba group moved to the latest GPL which is effectively incompatible with commercial software. I'm sure if Apple had been given a choice, they'd have stayed with Samba, but the decision wasn't theirs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I can't entirely fault them on SMB, except for not keeping it in house long enough to work the kinks out, because the Samba group moved to the latest GPL which is effectively incompatible with commercial software. I'm sure if Apple had been given a choice, they'd have stayed with Samba, but the decision wasn't theirs.

That doesn't really hold any water since that makes it incompatible with nearly all Linux distros, which are indeed commercial products as well in that they have a paid media delivery format. What I'm hoping is that the Samba group will come up with an installer package for OS X so we can get real SMB again. Because I help my grandparents with many things on their PC via my Mac (especially file transfers), SMB is a necessity, thus Lion is out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:51 pm 

Quote:
which are indeed commercial products as well in that they have a paid media delivery format
Oh come on.

The entire Linux commercial venture is built off of selling services, because their customers just download the software. Even when you buy a boxed product what you're actually paying for is support. You're buying customization. You're buying everything except the software, because you can't buy the software.

Hell, even when they do customize it, guess what GPL3 makes them do? That's right, they have to release the source code for their customization. That's why CentOS exists. It's the entirety of the RedHat codebase without having to pay for support from RedHat.

The Samba group's decision to move their codebase to be covered by GPL3, which has far stricter terms than previous GPLs, is why Lion's SMB isn't based on Samba anymore. Apple is hardly the only commercial organization dropping Samba like a hot potato after that poor decision. They drank deeply from RMS's kool-aid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

SMB replacement for Lion/10.7...

SMBUp
Did you lose your shared folders with the update of Mac OS X from Snow Leopard to Lion? You can’t see your shared folders from your DVR or Medicaneter boxes hooked up to your TV? The internet tells you to install gigabytes of developer tools and use tons of command-line instructions to regain the ability to see your mac from your other devices in the house after moving to Lion? We might be able to help.

http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 am 

Thanks BD. I'm still on Snow Leopard but this is one of the problems I knew I'd be facing after moving up to Lion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 pm 
he who stacks pork

I wish I could run 10.5 on my 27" iMac. 10.7 really sucks ass, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that reminds me of using Windoze.

-he who stacks pork