XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 am 

You can now run 9 in full-screen mode
http://www.macwindows.com/OS9_on_Intel_Mac.html#030209c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the tip! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:58 pm 
Executive Director of the x704.net Think Tank

How stable is Sheepshaver? I have a need to run OS 9 24/7 on some kiosks to display a interactive flash thingee.

On Obama: "Muhammad Ali also had a way with words, but it helped enormously that he could punch guys in the face."
-Bill Maher

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:20 pm 

If you're running an interactive Flash display...why on earth are you using OS 9?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:46 am 

It's for an Art Museum. Whoever they paid to make the flash file created it in an OS 9 only format. They only have the file, not the project, so I can't recompile it in flash. And I can figure out a way to make it work in OS X. I converted it so it would run under Windows and I'm booting the 3 minis into XP and running it for now.

On Obama: "Muhammad Ali also had a way with words, but it helped enormously that he could punch guys in the face."
-Bill Maher

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:04 pm 

I wonder if it would work under iCab in OSX? If the .swf is the only one running you could give iCab's Kiosk Mode a go and see what happens. That's an off the top of my head suggestion and I haven't thought it through. Or is it a Mac-only self running app or something requiring a Director projector?

I know there's a commercial Flash decompiler available somewhere (although I don't know if it works well) and I wonder if there are any free options?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:44 pm 

I think it's a director projector.

-Bill Maher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:21 pm 

How well does SheepShaver support audio/QuickTime? I've two uses for OS 9 right now.

1) To listen to Lemmings music, since both myself and BDA have been unsuccessful at extracting and converting the music stored in the resource files of the game (the original Mac Lemmings).

2) Conversion of MIDI files to Piano. This got taken out of QT Player (even the Pro version!) in OS X as of 10.2. And for some reason or another, when playing back converted files from 10.0/10.1, whose QTP could convert instruments, the converted AIFF file, which is supposed to be a digital conversion that does NOT require samples, plays back under 10.3/4/5 as if it used the original instruments instead of Piano like I want. Example: I convert Beethoven's 29th to piano from orchestra, eliminating any drumsets in the process. I then use 10.0/10.1's QTP to export the converted MIDI file to AIFF, which does not contain the original instrument samples. I play back said file in any current OS and ....it isn't piano. It's orchestral.

And no, CrapBand doesn't work for this purpose. Yes it can convert instruments. It does NOT however honor any changes of the tempo mid-song. For instance, Beethoven's 29th starts at 180 BPM. Its second movement goes to about 200 BPM. Its final movement shoots up to nearly 400 BPM. CrapBand honors only the original 180 BPM and applies it to the entire file. Changing the BPM at any point changes it for the entire file. Hence, it's useless for converting MIDI files.

Ain't life grand?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 pm 

iTunes played midi well for a while. I don't think it does anymore and but it was shocking.

Have you tried player pro?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:23 pm 

I'm pretty sure the latest version of garageband does support tempo maps (multiple tempos in the same song). If you send me a midi file, I'm happy to try it out for you if you don't have garageband 3.

Alternately, there are many programs that should be able to do what you want with a MIDI file. Certainly Logic can easily. Cubase too. Pro Tools. Know anyone who has one of 'em?

There are some free or at least cheap MIDI programs too, like Ardour, that should do this too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 pm 
he who stacks pork

The inability to change time signature or key signature are just a few of the reasons why I think that Garage Band sucks. Hell, Studio Session (which came out in 1986 or 1987) had that ability, and one could change the key signature, time signature, instruments, etc. as many times as necessary within a composition. Hard to believe that music applications these days are so backward and lacking in features.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:52 am 

8600w/G4 wrote:
iTunes played midi well for a while. I don't think it does anymore and but it was shocking.

Have you tried player pro?

The problem isn't in the playing. It's in how the converted midi files (now AIFF, the exact same type of file you get from a direct CD rip) is somehow playing the original instrument set even though I exported the file to AIFF using the piano instrument set.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the latest version of garageband does support tempo maps (multiple tempos in the same song). If you send me a midi file, I'm happy to try it out for you if you don't have garageband 3.

I have GB3. It came with the Mac Pro. Unlike any SANE app, it a) forces you to create a new blank music project with a tempo nobody uses, b) forces that tempo/time key upon any midi file dragged into the project window, c) the aforementioned dragging of the midi file is the only freaking way to get GB to open a midi file or import it, d) will NOT read the time key of the imported midi file, and e) will not export the file back to a midi file or AIFF. It will also not allow me to change the tempo/key mid song in any way that I can figure out.

If Apple made this app "for the masses", it sorely screwed up. Bigtime. I used to mess with MIDI apps in OS 9. Hell that's how I got sheet music printed (after some massively insane wrangling) for the MIDI version of the Final Fantasy 6 Piano Collections. GB3 lets me see the notes as they are relative to the key/scale chosen during the forced "new project" window, but is otherwise useless. Add to it that it forces you to KEEP the initial track listed in the top of the project window and won't let you delete it, and it wreaks havok with MIDI word clocks that are channel limited.

Can anybody tell me why Apple ditched the ability to change instruments, a noteably obscure feature in the QT music synthesizer and replaced it with this piece of crap software?

I've attached the file that gives this bugger the most annoyance.

Attachments:
File comment: Midi file that confuses the hell out of GB3
Beethoven 29th.mid.zip [21.97 KiB]
Downloaded 165 times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:55 am 

Sheepshaver hasn't worked for me for a long time now. It just crashes instantly when you open it with some kind of "file already exists" error in the logs. The devs have no clue why, even though this bug has been around for a long time. I've tried all kinds of proposed fixes and nothing bloody works. Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:27 am 

This is gonna be one of those annoying days/weeks/months for me. First the HDMI switching fiasco (none, and I mean NONE of the switchers out there that don't cost as much as a new PC are usable to me), and now SheepShaver still isn't working? Feh. I'm sight limited. I'm hearing limited. I like to...I dunno...ENJOY what I can see/hear. Thankfully my hearing is only volume limited ^_^.

Still, this is all frustrating. I thought as tech improved so too would our quality of life. Seems more like quantity of life than quality these days if you ask me. :(

I. WANT. MY. LEMMINGS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:44 am 

Anybody know of a place (other than the pirate bay...tend to stay away from there) that has the Mac OS ROM 1.6 from the 1.0 ROM update? I can't exactly extract it on an Intel Mac as Classic is not supported, thus TomeViewer, my old favorite tool can't be used.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 am 

where does did it come from or what was it on ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:05 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
Anybody know of a place (other than the pirate bay...tend to stay away from there) that has the Mac OS ROM 1.6 from the 1.0 ROM update? I can't exactly extract it on an Intel Mac as Classic is not supported, thus TomeViewer, my old favorite tool can't be used.

And this is exactly why I have an old 9500/132 collecting dust in a storage bin because some day I will own an Intel Mac.

Good luck gettin' what 'cha need. Maybe you might find an old PowerMac on eBay that boots OS 9 and so you can extract the ROM?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:54 pm 

ESprung wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

And this is exactly why I have an old 9500/132 collecting dust in a storage bin because some day I will own an Intel Mac.

Good luck gettin' what 'cha need. Maybe you might find an old PowerMac on eBay that boots OS 9 and so you can extract the ROM?

That would defeat teh purpose of having SheepShaver now, wouldn't it? :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:00 pm 

Damn we are a cruel being. Even A Swan would at least kill the whole nest! :badteeth:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:24 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
ESprung wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

That would defeat teh purpose of having SheepShaver now, wouldn't it? :P

Not really, the machine is being kept purely for the ROM. I'm sure it could theoretically be fired up, but why? Too slow for anything useful. The day I get an Intel machine is when I'll try turning it on and extracting the ROM for Sheepsaver.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You didn't get my email Squishy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:00 am 

BDAqua wrote:
You didn't get my email Squishy?

I got it. A reply has been sent. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:09 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
If Apple made this app "for the masses", it sorely screwed up.

I think it's an excellent app for the masses for music creation. Garageband is set up to let people easily create new pieces of music using loops and their own music playing. Your needs are more specific and uncommon... of course it would be great if it COULD do what you ask of it, for your sake, and it wouldn't take that much to do so. But I think you are asking too much of an app, it can't be all things to all people and still be easy to use/for the masses. The fact that it supports MIDI files is great, but for the intended use, there really is no need to support tempo changes imported from MIDI files.

I did see somewhere a tutorial for how to create tempo changes, it's definitely there in gb3. I'll try and find it and include the link here.

Have you tried Ardour? Just curious if that would work for you... it's definitely a more full featured app.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 am 

So far the only other useable (and I use that term very loosely here) is MuseScore, and its UI is definitely Alpha in its feel. That and the fact it can't interact with the QT music synth and instead relies solely on the soundfont 2 format isn't helping (though that at least opens up some possibilities).