XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:40 pm 

The wife's trackpad stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I suspected a battery problem as the date was getting reset occasionally but didn't have too much time to investigate much more. I've been overloaded for months and this was just one more issue on tops of many others.

Then the trackpad began to bulge and it became a repair priority :(

Apple confirmed that they no longer make or stock batteries for this model. A little too soon in my opinion but that's Apple nowadays.

I had trouble getting hold of a tri-wing 00 to get the battery out but did find a tri-wing 2 which worked first time. The battery is now out, bulging nicely and on the point of leaking :cry:

However, now that I've got it open, I see that it looks like a doddle to upgrade. This was probably the last easy model to upgrade.

The machine currently runs snow leopard but the wife says I can take it higher.

Seeing as this should be a quick upgrade I'd like to ask for recommendations for:

HD
SSD
RAM

I just don't have the time to research the options. It doesn't have to be extreme. Easy to obtain parts that just work and are reliable. Any advice is most welcome.

On the battery side I've been looking at a compatible flueron model but was wondering if I can run it without a battery. My wife uses the Air for portability and the MBP just sits on a table.

Would running without a battery resolve the date reset problem?

I think this machine will get a noticeable boost after a simple upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:56 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Standard RAM: 4 GB Maximum RAM: 16 GB*
Details: 4 GB of RAM is installed as two 2 GB modules, no slots free.

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, but as first confirmed by site sponsor OWC, this model actually is capable of using up to 16 GB of RAM with two 8 GB memory modules.

Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.6.6 (10J3210) Maximum MacOS: Current*
Details: *This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" as well as OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" with the exception of the "Power Nap" feature. It also supports the last version of OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" and current version of OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" -- including Mac-to-Mac AirDrop and AirPlay Mirroring capability -- but other advanced features are not supported.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrade ... ype=Memory

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrade ... rnalDrives

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP13MBU65V/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:41 pm 

Yeah, even the Core2 Duo MBPs respond well to RAM & disk upgrades. That one should be an i5 so it's reasonably decent. The Mid-2012 models even have USB 3.0 ports, so you just missed out on that.

If you want to upgrade the HD on the cheap, an SSHD is a huge boost over the stock (old tech) 5400rpm HD. If money's no object, then a Samsung 850 Pro SSD will perform very well in it. The RAM you're kind of limited on, in that you should get Mac certified/compatible RAM and not just go with any old module, since the SPDs on most generic modules lack information the MBP will expect to be present.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:56 pm 
Master

I've installed a pretty good pile of Samsung 850 Pros, and HOLY CR@P these drives are awesome. I've got one in my computer at work and it's wonderful. It's one of those truly amazing pieces of technology that changes how I interact with the computer. Everything is instantaneous all the time. It's wonderful. The 16 GB of RAM that system is running also helps, but not nearly as much as the drive. Boot time is a few seconds...maybe ten on a cold morning. It's damn near as quick running a large database as a $40,000 server. Along with the speed you get a nearly physically indestructible drive.

The 850 Pro has better write endurance than the 850 EVO, but performance between the two is supposedly similar and if the specs are believable, write endurance won't affect normal users, or even abnormal users out to a few standard deviations from the mean, with either one. The 512 GB Samsung 850 EVO is about $170 in the US, and the 512 GB 850 Pro is $230. Price scales almost linearly with capacity.

You need one of these drives. I'm serious. They're worth every penny. They're fantastic.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:44 am 

Thanks so much for the recommendations.

I've just ordered a Samsung MZ-7KE512BW which I understand to be the Pro version and at 228€ it was very reasonable for 512GB. I threw in a startech USB-SATA adaptor for good measure.

Last night I was looking at Crucial's configuration tool which gave me a 16GB kit (CT3373720) for 88€ so I knew 16GB would be ok. I didn't know Crucial had a Spanish page so that was a plus. I thought it would be harder to track down something reasonably priced for RAM where I live.

I'll probably pick up the battery option on Amazon for less than 80€ but will the MBP run normally without a battery? I was hoping that the date reset issue was related to the main battery. Of it wasn't, is there a motherboard battery on the underside of the motherboard?

Since taking out the main battery its bulged to breaking point. I'm glad I got it out before it did damage to the the trackpad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:40 am 
Master

Historically Macs have run fine without a main battery, but I've never tried on that model.

As far as buying aftermarket batteries, I've had about a 60% success rate: sometimes you get old stock that sat dead on a shelf somewhere for five years and it just doesn't even begin to work. Be sure to buy from someone with a good return policy in case you get one of those duds.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:36 pm 

I've had pretty good results with "name brand" aftermarket batteries like Anker. The no-name generics are certainly hit or miss (though, knock on glass, I haven't been bitten by a bad one yet).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:42 pm 
Master

Had a stone cold DOA Anker battery just a couple months ago. They were good about replacing it with one that worked properly.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:01 pm 

I'm looking at the Floureon or LaVolta options. There are reports about the LaVolta being a little too thick and stopping the trackpad from clicking. I wrote to them yesterday asking if this is true or notbor if it was a production issue that had since been resolved. If they don't answer I'll order the Floureon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:03 am 

Avon B7 wrote:
I'm looking at the Floureon or LaVolta options. There are reports about the LaVolta being a little too thick and stopping the trackpad from clicking. I wrote to them yesterday asking if this is true or notbor if it was a production issue that had since been resolved. If they don't answer I'll order the Floureon.

In an attempt to fix that track pad issue you are referring to, I read quite a bit online related to batteries. It seems like the NuPower batteries are prone to swelling and the Macbook pro 2008 model I'm currently trying to repair certainly was effected by that very battery. It rendered the trackpad totally non-functional when battery was in place. That battery (for early 2008 Macbook Pro) was about $99 and I read many reviews complaining about the issue. The Anker battery for the same model was $55 and seemed to have far fewer complaints (although seemed to have shorter life span in terms of holding charge) and what I read indicated the company really stood by their battery claims and was easy to deal with. I did not see options for my model Macbook from Floureon or LaVolta and other more pressing issues postponed further battery search. Let us know what you decide. Good luck Avon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:45 pm 

I've bought a couple Floureon batteries and both worked fine.

Then again I think I have the IT curse. Things always seem to work fine when I'm nearby.

On the other hand, I have about the opposite curse when I'm driving. People always want to put themselves in front of me. Last night on a eight lane highway, guy wandering across lanes - who just exited from an offramp - comes to a rest in my lane. Totally empty highway, all lanes free, somehow he chooses the one lane with a car in it (and of course since he's doing well under the limit I'm a fast approaching object). :bonk:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:48 am 

Just installed the new memory/SSD. Zero problems and booting Snow Leopard was fine. Running without a battery at the moment. LaVolta didn't reply to my mail so I won't get their battery. I've written to Floureon to make sure the battery I've seen on Amazon will work. I'll give them a couple of days to reply.

The SSD came with a DVD and some software. I've ignored that so far. Is there anything on there I should be running? I just formatted the SSD and cloned the Hitachi to it using the StarTech adaptor, installed the SSD and booted.

The memory was recognised OK and things look stable. iTunes didn't even give me any fuss on first opening.

Now the wife has said she's ready to move up to El Capitan but I want to ask you guys first.

Do you know how El Capitan is taking to these Samsung 850 Pros? I'd rather not go gung ho if there are known problems. More so as Snow Leopard seems to be stable with this drive.

This isn't her work machine but I want to avoid all avoidable problems as I just don't have that much time to fix things. I got the memory and SSD in in less than five minutes and I want to hit the ground running.

There will be a lot of crud that isn't Capitan capable but I can live with that as long as the OS will run fine with the SSD.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:58 am 
Benevolent Dictator

EC has many problems right now, I'd hold off until it's 10.11.5 :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:06 pm 
Master

While OS X 10.11 may have problems, they're unlikely to be causally linked to the hardware. If you're concerned about problems with 10.11, install 10.10 or 10.9, then update to 10.11 later. The good news is that it'll go a lot faster with the drive installed!

The DVD that came with the Samsung drive may be safely stacked with your collection of AOL CDs so that you may dissolve it in paint stripper and burn it as fuel in a future post-apocalyptic Mad Max style dystopian hellscape. For best results, and for not destroying your data, I don't recommend futzing with the drive's internal settings using any Samsung tweaker utility (or really anything written by Samsung programmers that isn't already ensconced in the drive's firmware, as some of those who have done so have experienced Bad Things in the past with other drive models). If you ever need/want any special software for it you should be able to download it from Samsung's Facebook page Twitter feed... uh... phone app web site or wherever.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I'm almost finished with all the updates. Now standing at 10.10.5.

Strangely, things seem much slower than before in normal operations but I ran the first benchmark app I found on the Apps store (Black Magic Disk Speed Test) and the numbers tell me the disk is performing blazing fast (478MB/s write and 501MB/s read) so I'm putting it down to the fact that a lot is going on under the hood after all the updates. We'll see how things go over the next few days. It's not helping that wi-fi has been crapping out and slowing down due to my Orange router and Orange ADSL.

As this MBP now holds my wife's iTunes Library I installed the latest iTunes and put iOS9 on her iPhone. iTunes is now unfathomble from one version to another, as is iOS and upgrading has always given me problems. This time (as was the case for iOS6, 7 and 8) my wife's meticulously crafted artwork for albums got fudged YET AGAIN and with no apparent logic to the destruction :(

A ton of stuff that was configured correctly on iOS 8 just got unconfigured in iOS9 for no real reason and as things have changed, you have to rummage through the settings trying to remember where everything was and then turn things back on. So much time wasted correcting things that should never have been touched in the first place. Now she has to re-learn iTunes/ Music app on iOS and it is in no way intuitive. No doubt more surprises are on the way.

Anyway, the bulk of the work is done and there were no major disasters along the way.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 pm 
Master

What OS were you running before?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:31 am 

This machine was being held back by the need of Rosetta (CanvasX mainly) so it was stuck at 10.6.8.

The Air was on Yosemite and was her main machine. That will probably change now that the MBP has much more memory and and a much faster disk.

Boot times are getting faster with each new reboot and I'm clearing out a lot of crud as I find it. There's a Thunderbolt firmware update that I haven't installed yet as I read somewhere that a firmware update for machines of this vintage could be causing problems with SSD although I think most of the the affected machines are from 2009 (not early 2011 as is our case). Anyway, As I have no Thunderbolt devices I'll hold off for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:37 am 

Giving it some thought, it's very likely that her system had been migrated up from Tiger so the crud factor must be fairly high.

I'm investigating the iTunes artwork problems and t seems that Apple has been messing with users' metadata for many versions of iTunes. Typical of Apple to change user implemented metadata because 'they know better' than the user :nothappy:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:22 pm 
Master

10.6.8 was a lot faster in general than 10.9+, at least so far as I can tell.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:29 pm 

Just a quick update. Everything is going well. Boot times from button-press to desktop are less than a minute. My wife says the machine now feels like the Air in terms or responsiveness. No unexpected stuff except for one thing.

Without the battery the machine would startup as soon as it received external power (no button press was necessary). This behaviour has continued but isn't a problem. The trackpad wasn't damaged by the battery swelling up.

We can 'Thunderbirds are go!'

Thanks for all the helpful info guys!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Without the battery the machine would startup as soon as it received external power (no button press was necessary)

Check Sys Prtefs>Energy Saver>Options tab & see if Restart automatically after a power failure is checked.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:04 pm 

That behavior is pretty much SOP for that generation MBP that has been disconnected from power for some time and gets reconnected. If you attach a charged battery in those circumstances it will also spontaneously power on.