XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:16 pm 

The Laptop in question is specifically an Early 2008 2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro 4,1 A1260 Core 2 Duo 4GB ram-200 GB HD running OSX 10.6.8.

When I rec'd the machine it was to repair a non functioning trackpad. I discovered that the trackpad was being impinged upon by the swollen after market battery. I took out the battery and everything worked very nicely. I decided to upgrade the unit to El Capitan and that also went quite smoothly and I was happy with the way the laptop responded with El Capitan. After my initial 'testing' was done I shut down the computer. I have not been able to power the computer up since then. With battery in (really not a good idea) the magsafe power connector shows orange and nothing powers at all. With the battery out, the magsafe power connector shows green and the power button causes the white 'powering up' light next to the latch to momentarily go on and then turn off. I've experimented with holding down the button for various lengths of time and the laptop simply will not power up. It even sounds like it's about to but then just shuts down. No display light happens.

As I mentioned before the upgrade to El Capitan this thing worked very nicely without the battery as well as when upgraded to El Capitan. The problem did not present until after the first shut down after upgrade.

A solution would be terrific :)

Last edited by db5owat on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:22 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Have done an SMC reset

>>Instructions to reset SMC

Problems solved: Fans blowing with no activity, machine is not booting, power button pressed and nothing happens, problems with indicators, Magsafe has wrong lights, battery is not charging, monitor and graphics issues etc. If the battery is not charged (from like letting it sleep too long), let the Mac charge up awhile afterwards.

Will not hurt the machine resetting if it's not broken.

Other related hardware problems (optional):

Check battery status: Hold option/alt key down while clicking on the battery icon in the menu bar, top right corner.

Magsafe: Use the correct/matching power supply charger with your Mac, not a less powered one from another Mac.

Apple: Laptop won't power up Apple: Computer won't power up Troubleshooting optical drive

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4752153?tstart=0

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

No worky?

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/712 ... 't+turn+on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:12 am 

I vouch for the PRAM/SMC reset.

It might also be worth manually checking if your machine has all the firmware upgrades that are available for it. Software Update sometimes doesn't catch all of them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:03 pm 

SMC reset and checking for the type of power adapter are both good ideas. If it's a 17" or even a 15" and you have a 13" 60W power adapter that can cause this. The only real solution is to install a new battery or get the an adapter appropriate for that model.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:33 pm 

I've got the 85 watt Magsafe adapter. I've ordered a new battery and will give this all a try when it arrives. Much appreciation fellas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:44 am 

I haven't gotten the new battery yet, but borrowed one. I tried the SMC reset and still can NOT get the thing to power up. 85 watt MagSafe light is bright green.It makes some sound the white light comes on and you can hear some sound as if it wants to boot, but as soon as the CD makes some sounds like it is about to spin up (OSX SL CD is in slot loading optical drive) the white light blinks several times quickly and it shuts down. This all started after I upgraded to El Capitan. Is it conceivable that is involved here? I don't think so, because it never really even gets to a OS boot failure. Display never even lights up. Is there something else I can try? I'm willing to dis-assemble to check internals if guided. I can't believe that this was working quite well just up until the upgrade to El Capitan. BTW, this computer is supposed to be able to power up without the battery installed is it not, as long as 85 watt MagSafe adapter is properly attached?

This video shows almost exactly what my MacBook is doing (same model too).

I've tried the SMC reset now several different ways I've read online. I do not think that's it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:26 am 

Maybe this video is instructive?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:38 pm 

Are the symptoms any different if you disconnect the HD? My first step during troubleshooting is to minimize the issue... in this case disconnect the HD, disconnect the optical drive, remove both sticks of RAM and replace with one stick of known good RAM, then test. Given the described symptom I don't imagine it will be any different but... maybe...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:22 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Are the symptoms any different if you disconnect the HD? My first step during troubleshooting is to minimize the issue... in this case disconnect the HD, disconnect the optical drive, remove both sticks of RAM and replace with one stick of known good RAM, then test. Given the described symptom I don't imagine it will be any different but... maybe...

MonkeyBoy, I have an OSX SL install disk stuck in this laptops optical drive. Since this unit does not power up, is there another way to get that disk out? If I remove the optical drive is there a 'pinhole' disk release or something to retieve that OSX install disk?

Also, just to verify, as I am going through this process of trying to determine what is wrong am I correct that this laptop actually is capable of starting with just the 85 watt adapter and no battery?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:54 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
If I remove the optical drive is there a 'pinhole' disk release or something to retieve that OSX install disk?

In my experience those slim opticals have no mechanical way to eject a disc, not even a pin hole.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:35 am 

Do you get to the boot device selection screen if you hold the option key while powering up?

If you do, press the eject key when the screen appears.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:52 am 

Avon B7 wrote:
Do you get to the boot device selection screen if you hold the option key while powering up?

If you do, press the eject key when the screen appears.

So far I've found no way to get to any of the boot process at all. No screen, near immediate shut down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:57 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
If I remove the optical drive is there a 'pinhole' disk release or something to retieve that OSX install disk?

In my experience those slim opticals have no mechanical way to eject a disc, not even a pin hole.

No problem, it's all part of the Apple Experience. I'll simply find a working macbook pro and remove the working optical drive temporarily and install mine (once removed from my Macbook) and eject the disk. It's really a slick and easy consumer-centric approach. :upset:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:35 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, we don't need no stinkin' Eject button, when it's a simple matter & only 86 steps to pull it & put it in another $2000 computer! :whip:

For years I've had 2 PPC Minis with Discs stuck in them, one is my retail Tiger Disc, I forget what the other one is, maybe Disc Warrior. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:31 pm 

Well there's always the power on with the mouse button held down technique to eject all media from all drives. I don't think it'll work in your case though.

If it flashes in a particular order, or always flashes the same number of blinks, you may have some luck counting the flashes and looking up the code.

FWIW a coworker's daughter's Mac recently decided to fry its HD SATA port (optical SATA still worked). A replacement motherboard was only $40 off eBay. In theory you could do the same thing here, just have to match up the board so it's roughly the same model as what you have (could even end up with a faster CPU in the process).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:05 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well there's always the power on with the mouse button held down technique to eject all media from all drives. I don't think it'll work in your case though.

If it flashes in a particular order, or always flashes the same number of blinks, you may have some luck counting the flashes and looking up the code.

FWIW a coworker's daughter's Mac recently decided to fry its HD SATA port (optical SATA still worked). A replacement motherboard was only $40 off eBay. In theory you could do the same thing here, just have to match up the board so it's roughly the same model as what you have (could even end up with a faster CPU in the process).

Unfortunately this logic board seems to be going for more like $175-300 on Ebay. Probably due to the shear number of MacBook Pros of this vintage needing repair (probably Nvidia Geforce 8600 GPU). It's probably not worth the money. I'm still going to play with it a bit and see if I can find a way to get some extended life.

I did retrieve the OSX DVD but I had to completely take apart the optical drive to get it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

How did you get the optical apart? The ones in my Minis seem to be welded or stamped together!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:19 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
How did you get the optical apart? The ones in my Minis seem to be welded or stamped together!

Remove 9 little tiny screws, and I just opened it enough to take out the DVD.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:30 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, my poor one eyed vision sees no screws on mine. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:27 pm 

I just had to buy my first pair of reading glasses. Still getting used to using them, they're always in my line of sight to things farther away. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:32 pm 

Took out the Logic board and baked in the oven at 375 degree F. for 7 minutes and 30 seconds. I followed one of several tutorials specific to this exact early 2008 Macbook Pro with the same symptoms. Put everything back together and it fired back up. Maybe a little extended life, who knows how long. This confirms my thought that it might be quite risky to buy one of these models off of Ebay! Probably baked with limited life left. Just to clarify, this was given to me originally because of a failing trackpad. I plan to keep it and use it for as long as it might function. When it stops, maybe I'll bake it again. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:01 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work, thanks for the report! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:15 am 

Hmmmm, runs but fans running full speed. Any thoughts? I think this started after re-setting the SMC. I still have no battery. I did use a thin layer of Noctua thermal paste when re-installing logic board.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:46 am 

I downloaded SMCFancontrol and it reports fans at 6001 rpm and temp at 128c. That cant be good. Maybe I did the thermal paste wrong. I did it like I would on a desktop CPU, although there are 3 areas requiring paste on the Macbook. I used the small dot and spread with plastic baggie on finger method. Thin layer. There sure was a lot of paste when I took the logic board off. I cleaned all of that stuff off and started fresh with the paste I had namely Noctua NT-H1 themal compound. The fans seem to ramp up during the boot process. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Honestly the bottom of the laptop when running (only a short time) does not seem very warm. Not cool but just slightly noticeable as warm.

Any possibility I forgot a temp monitor or something?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:46 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Might try MacsFanControl, only way I can play Civ5 on my 2007 iMac without severe overheating…

http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control