XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 pm 

Greetings.

The relatively new battery (after-market M7318) in my PB Pismo suddenly misbehaved and died. I say died, but I dont believe it! Here's the timeline of events.

The rest of this long winded and year old + issue can be found at ASC in a thread of the same name as this one < https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6350278>

If anyone has any insight, I will appreciate anything and everything - I am stumped.

Bottom line, I think I may be kidding myself that the battery is not toast.

Thanks in advance
ÇÇÇ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:31 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Welcome aboard ChitlinsCC ! :welcome:
Sometimes I can't think on ASC!

Hows the PRAM Battery?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+ ... acement/21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:26 pm 
Master

The sudden death failure mode you experienced is fairly common in old batteries. Lithium ion rechargeable batteries are killed by any mundane combination of simple age, charge/discharge cycles, or deep discharge. With older machines it's plausible, even likely, that the battery wasn't young when you bought it, and after four years it's likely any last flower of youth has withered away.

Age was especially hard on PowerBook G4 and early MacBook Pro batteries; I can't remember having one that survived more than about 2 years. They'd usually die about the same way: precipitously dropping from mostly charged to basically utterly dead. The batteries in the unibody MacBook Pros are surprisingly resilient, but they're also huge. But I digress...

I strongly suspect the problem is that battery itself, although something in the charging circuitry could be involved. Ideally you'd test with another known-good battery, but those are hard to find anymore. Alternatively, you could try charging your current battery in another Pismo, but they're also hard to find.

The fact that the computer runs with just the power adapter is pretty much foolproof evidence that the problem isn't in the charger itself.

Your investigation has been pretty thorough and interesting, and I don't have anything else to try. If I were a betting man I'd put a dollar on having dead cells in your battery. The logic in the battery detects they're misbehaving and won't charge them to keep them from catching on fire, which as aggravating as it may be, is probably good all things considered.

As for keeping the computer plugged in, it's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation since on one hand you keep a higher charge all the time, and on the other you're adding more charge cycles, both of which take a toll. I haven't experienced much real world difference between the strategies, and trying to finesse it is aggravating with apparently little opportunity for significant reward. Apple appears to solves the problem in its new portables by putting in a huge battery and not charging to as high a level as they might be able to if they wanted to drive the chemistry to the ragged edge, and they're benefiting from newer ever more clever chemistry.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:03 am 

@Anonoymous - Deep down inside I figgered as much. These batteries had a bad rep from the beginning (I don't know why I resisted believing about this one - I guess it comes from my inability to accept that a battery could discharge completely in a blink of an eye)

@BDAqua - PRAM is all good... no other symptoms, much less PRAM specific

My plan going forward is to save my pennies and get an iPad - as most of time is spent with communicating rather than working on stuff (much like ASC maven bobseufert - good enough for him = good enough for me) - Pismo making a nice conversation piece until a task rears its head that requires the "first portable to perform a gigaflop".

Graçias, mi amigos
ÇÇÇ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:05 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Welcome aboard ChitlinsCC ! :welcome:
Sometimes I can't think on ASC!

Hows the PRAM Battery?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+ ... acement/21

This a test of Notification... my REPLY was to the THREAD - not to @Anonymous or to @BDAqua

This is QUOTING @BDAqua with the button on your post to see if it alone is enough - OR - if it is a requirement to actively "SUBSCRIBE" to the thread (what I did) to receive email(s)