XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:23 am 

I've had my MacBook since early 2008, and have been using it as a desktop computer (in addition to my Mac mini). I've always used it with the charger attached and the battery in-place, and just noticed last week that the battery was bulging. I'd remembered reading something about that being a problem, so I removed the battery and replaced it with the standby battery bought at the same time as the original (but never used until now).

My question is: what do I do with the old battery, especially as the bulging has made it potentially more dangerous (no?)?

Thanks.

MacMini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.12.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:47 am 

I'm fairly certain you can turn it into a normal recycling center. It's unlikely to be holding much of a charge in that state. I've had one knocked around my desk for six months now while the owner tries to remember to order a replacement battery, so they're certainly stable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:07 am 

Apple Retail Stores will take them back and 're-cycle them free of charge'. EU laws force them to do that over here and the cost of re-cycling is in the price you originally paid for it, so if the US is anything like the EU on this subject, the 'free of charge' part is stretching it a bit. If you don't have one nearby then any recycling collection point should take it off your hands.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:03 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I'm fairly certain you can turn it into a normal recycling center. It's unlikely to be holding much of a charge in that state. I've had one knocked around my desk for six months now while the owner tries to remember to order a replacement battery, so they're certainly stable.

The battery, which up until now had been problem-free (there are less than 10 cycles on it since 2008), instantly lights all five of its status LEDs.

I think it would make me feel better if I reinstalled the battery and let it drain before bringing it to my recycling center.

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:40 pm 
Master

Don't reinstall it. Just get rid of it. Bulging batteries are bad news: some inappropriate chemical reaction is taking place inside one or more of the cells. You don't want to risk something going wrong inside the battery that might result in fire, or risk something going wrong electrically that could damage your computer's circuitry.

Recycle it and be done.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:52 pm 

Will do. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:01 pm 
he who stacks pork

“Recycle” usually means they’re loaded into cargo shipping containers and shipped to gang-run “recycling” shantytown slums in China where countless environmental crimes are committed. :o

-he who stacks pork